Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcelRate_2018_OoC_en.pdf

Highlights:

1. Light Packet dies. Small Packet and Tracked Packet get an additional 0-100g price range to help compensate.

2. Expedited Parcel (Canada) gets a volumetric change. Starting January 15 the divisor will be 5000 instead of 6000.  This will push some parcel sizes into a higher price range. Regular parcel will remain unchanged with a 6000 divisor. So for some sizes Regular Parcel may be a better price than a discounted Expedited Parcel price.

3. Domestic prices will be up about 4% and the rest of the world up around 1.2%

4. Manual Small Packet labels will be phased out -- bar codes will be required (even if they are not tracked).

Actual 2018 parcel rates still to be released.

More: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=service_and_price_ch

-..-

Message 1 of 208
latest reply
207 REPLIES 207

Re: Canada Post 2018 parcel changes

Id take the 35-40% off ive been getting using old stamps, and not having to go to the post office every day  over looking professional any day.  I just had a buyer add "use stamps please" to their payment which i thought was werid being im selling games.  Turns out it was someone who bought from me 2 years ago and remembered it coming covered in stamps

Message 61 of 208
latest reply

Completing the Customs form online and using postage stamps are not mutually exclusive.

That means you can fill out the online form I showed you plus still use stamps to pay for postage at the counter.

You stamp-using folks don't have to shake your fists and holler about this. If you are, however, adverse to using the post office or authorized dealer to mail your packages, I can't help you there; using the online Customs form won't support your chosen workflow. 

Message 62 of 208
latest reply

Furthermore, it sounds as if someone or someones have incorrectly concluded that I think stamps look unprofessional. 

Nothing could be further from the truth. I, like everyone else, is thrilled to receive a package covered in stamps. It's lovely.

What I do object to seeing is my name and/or address botched in blunt-tipped Sharpie or dried-out ballpoint pen with jam-crusted fingerprints all over the envelope or box. Nothing can complete with the legibility and accuracy of a printed label. Unless a sender is featured in the Guiness Book of World Records for Penmanship and Calligraphy, I don't like to see them writing any names on parcels inbound or outbound. 

Again, allow me to stress, this is in my opinion. You are all free to form your own, this isn't a competition for Best Opinion Ever.

Merry Christmas.

Message 63 of 208
latest reply

As a stamps on the package kinda guy, I cut and paste the address from the PAYPAL payment onto the envelope. I started doing this to try to reduce undelivered packages due to my transposition errors and this made a wonderful difference in reducing mailing problems. It also saved wasted envelopes from printing errors, or "too jammy fingers" syndrome! 🙂

However for some reason the paypal folks a few days ago have again changed the format of the email receipts (I got them send as text instead of HTML) and now the blasted addresses come with blank lines between each line which makes them useless. The HTML version prints ok but it is in a very small font, I'm sending out a few this way to see if the system is ok with almost microfiche (only the old timers here will know what that is!) sized print..... sigh.....

Message 64 of 208
latest reply

@mjwl2006momcqueen wrote:

Furthermore, it sounds as if someone or someones have incorrectly concluded that I think stamps look unprofessional. 

Nothing could be further from the truth. I, like everyone else, is thrilled to receive a package covered in stamps. It's lovely.

What I do object to seeing is my name and/or address botched in blunt-tipped Sharpie or dried-out ballpoint pen with jam-crusted fingerprints all over the envelope or box. Nothing can complete with the legibility and accuracy of a printed label. Unless a sender is featured in the Guiness Book of World Records for Penmanship and Calligraphy, I don't like to see them writing any names on parcels inbound or outbound. 

Again, allow me to stress, this is in my opinion. You are all free to form your own, this isn't a competition for Best Opinion Ever.

Merry Christmas.

I use stamps, I use a Dymo Label for  the shipping address and a printed return label so no messy penmanship.

I strongly object having to drive to the post office because CP wants a useless bar code.

They are getting to be as bad as Ebay, change for the sake of change.

And yes, a lot of Americans appreciate Canadian stamps on the envelopes, as do Europeans

Message 65 of 208
latest reply

"However for some reason the paypal folks a few days ago have again changed the format of the email receipts (I got them send as text instead of HTML) and now the blasted addresses come with blank lines between each line which makes them useless."

Don't despair ricarmic .... a non-formatted customer address is available within Selling Manager .... open your sold page, click on the Record Number to open the Sales Record then click on the Move button... this moves the entire address over into a nice little box all ready to cut and paste.
Message 66 of 208
latest reply

Hiya! THX for the suggestion, the problem is I also use the printed PAYPAL receipt for my "process" of recipting, looking up the item etc, it was all working nicely....

They've done this before and after a few days it went back the "good way" again, I'll check in a few days to see if it is back the old way... otherwise I'll have to change my processes once again, and I'll take your suggestion into account!!!
Message 67 of 208
latest reply

Righto! Taking it one step further, I use that for all my ebay Sales Records and to print addresses on my outbound domestic lettermail but I moved it into my own template since I think my browser renders the data incorrectly as my Return Address is always larger than the Ship To address and that looks dumb and misleading. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 7.50.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 7.51.19 PM.png

Using the Invoice for Your Own Records feature is how I manage ALL my data on ebay transactions. Size of parcel, weight, actual shipping cost, value of free gift, customs data, everything. The best part is the data in those fields gets carried over to the File Management Centre where I can download and save it each month. It's a lifesaver. I thank goodness each time I use it. If it were to ever change, I'd be sunk. 

Message 68 of 208
latest reply

Well now that light packet is no longer available as of Jan 15/18, I now have to go to small packet and buy it online.  I need some advice here as it has been years since I purchased postage through ebay or paypal.  I have used shippo a couple of times, mostly during Oct for the free ship on Tues.

Here's where I need so help/advice.  I only will use if for international shipments, not the US.  It has been years since I used ebay/paypal shipping so I even forget how to even get there.  I guess I will also have to change my address on ebay from the US to Canada to do that too.

So do you use ebay/paypal for your small packet shipping or do you use shippo.  I only get a couple of international a month so it will not have too much of an impact other than printing it out at home.  

What is the most efficient and cheapest way?

Message 69 of 208
latest reply

That will depend on whether or not Shippo or Paypal offer any small packet discounts when the price change goes into effect. Right now I believe Shippo is the least expensive but it's possible that it will be the same price everywhere on in mid January.

Do you use USPS for the US?

Message 70 of 208
latest reply

I don't know how you are printing out your postage now but if your return address on your shipments is in Canada now then your address would likely be the same on Shippo and Paypal...just a guess.

To go to Shippo you just go to the sale on .ca and click on print shipping label - go to shippo. 

You have to sign directly into PP to use them and then go to that transaction, click on ship.

Message 71 of 208
latest reply

Yes for the US, I use USPS first class, unless it is for combined shipping then I use media mail.

Message 72 of 208
latest reply

My address on ebay and paypal is my US address, it is not a big deal to change it.

Message 73 of 208
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That will depend on whether or not Shippo or Paypal offer any small packet discounts when the price change goes into effect. Right now I believe Shippo is the least expensive but it's possible that it will be the same price everywhere on in mid January.

Right now ebay/Shippo and PayPal both are the same for International Small Packet Air with around a 20% discount. There was a couple of months when eBay/Shippo had the better discount.

eBay's discount via Shippo will last until January 14. The $2 question is if it will continue after that.

PayPal's discount might end December 31 or January 14 or continue.

Smiley Frustrated

Message 74 of 208
latest reply

Something that changes a bit more often is the parcel fuel surcharge.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=fuel_surcharges_on_m

The January 1 to February 4 surcharge will be up from the December surcharge: 1.5% extra for domestic and 0.75% extra for the rest of the world.

The rates are adjusted monthly based on diesel and jet fuel price indexes.

-..-

Message 75 of 208
latest reply

Wow. Ten percent.

I wonder if this is the reason some posters have trouble with the price of postage?

I've always assumed the poster was entering incorrect information, such as insisting on using Imperial rather than metric measurements.

Message 76 of 208
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Wow. Ten percent.

I wonder if this is the reason some posters have trouble with the price of postage?

I've always assumed the poster was entering incorrect information, such as insisting on using Imperial rather than metric measurements.

Probably not.

If you look up on the Canada Post website or use the eBay calculated shipping the fuel surcharge is built into the result. The monthly changes usually are small adjustments up or down of less than 2%

-..-

Message 77 of 208
latest reply

@vintagekawartha wrote:
For those who do not wish to print Small Packet labels online CP does provide a hybrid option. There is a page on the CP site known as CUSTOMS FORMS ONLINE. Anyone can use this tool (no CP account or logon required) to replicate the physical paper form. The user simply completes the form online including sender and recipient addresses and phone numbers along with all of the required customs details including HS code. Upon completion the user can either print out a bar code or email the barcode to a cell phone. Then take the printed barcode or your cell to the PO and have the clerk scan it and choose whatever service you want to purchase... the clerk prints your label right at the counter and affixes it to your parcel. All that's left to do is sign the customs declaration if applicable.
One purpose of the barcode is that the customs people can just scan it to retrieve all of the more detailed info that the shipper entered on the online form. I know whenever I've filled out one of those physical paper forms the space is so cramped I can barely read it!

This is great, but when you're shipping out 30 packages using postage stamps, can you imagine the confusion and chaos at the post office while the guy behind the counter prints out all of these barcodes. Ugh. So not looking forward to this 😞

Message 78 of 208
latest reply

Great way to start the new year with a sad laugh.

2018 Postal rates

To send ONE lp (viny lrecord) to the far east (Japan, etc) where most buyers reside, regular airmail is now $23,.29. The same package of ONE lp sent with tracking is now $85.38!!! ONE lp slightly heavier than a normal lp weight  is $43.84 untracked!!!

Any other way to add the possible final nail to the box?

Message 79 of 208
latest reply

The only tracked airmail to Japan is via Xpresspost. That's what international Xpresspost costs.

Message 80 of 208
latest reply