Devin Wenig steps down as head of eBay

Link to ......

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/25/devin-wenig-steps-down-as-ebay-ceo/

Lots of information on the internet.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

eBay has made many changes......Some of the changes are not immediately obvious, unless you are observant of what you can do on eBay... on a daily basis.

Why did Devin Wenig leave in such a sudden manner?

Something to think about.....    Let us sit back.... and read and listen carefully.  There is no need for us to make comments.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

"Why did Devin Wenig leave in such a sudden manner?"

The Board of Directors gave him the boot! In his 4 years of running the show he has done a very good job of destroying eBay and pocketing millions of dollars. eBay's future looks bleak....   

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I was at my local post office today, they were carting up multiple overloaded trolleys of parcels..a post office the size of a bathroom loaded to the roof, thats just a mid day delivery..  I said to them "Wow all Amazon stuff, crazy , no ebay stuff?"  Her response "Yeah almost never see ebay stuff anymore"

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Amazon boxes are branded. While eBay does have a shipping supplies allowance for eBay Store subscribers, not all eBayers use it.

One of the biggest changes is the switch to paying dividends on eBay's considerable profits.

Until March of this year, eBay shareholders could only make money by selling the stock when it was high.

In my opinion this led to some manipulations, like giving Free Listings in huge numbers to sellers just before the Quarterly Reports, which made the site appear to have increased activity and stock prices to rise. This form of manipulation may be good for shareholders, but not for the business proper. And it is common for upper executives to receive part of their renumeration in shares, so it was profitable for them personally to play around like this.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

eBay slowly became Yahoo, both face extinction. Need to change it business model soon to stay relevant. GSP didn't help only make it worse (for Canadian users). Tons of seller delusion with selling price . Overstate shipping price etc.. This has been going on for the last 5 yrs or so.

I found myself, buy more from Amazon and less and less from ebay.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Not at all surprising.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

My only comment is that it would be nice to see the top management folks with experience from actually selling on the site. There has been too many top executives coming in from totally unrelated businesses. Sadly, the best and brightest have seen that their sage advise, is not welcome. There has been many positive changes, but also many changes that did/do not work.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@hnguyen33 wrote:

eBay slowly became Yahoo, both face extinction. Need to change it business model soon to stay relevant. GSP didn't help only make it worse (for Canadian users). Tons of seller delusion with selling price . Overstate shipping price etc.. This has been going on for the last 5 yrs or so.

I found myself, buy more from Amazon and less and less from ebay.

Interesting to me, I've had a few folks lately tell me that whilst they regularly buy stuff on Amazon one has to check eBay first before you buy on Amazon because sometimes it is cheaper on ebay. (These are regular everyday folks like relatives etc, not my customers). That is heartening to hear.

Fortunately for me, my world (stamps) so far does not exist on Amazon so no competition from them at all....

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member