Ebay won't let me refund, it keeps giving an error (managed payments)

Buyer is asking for a refund as they're saying a region free disc doesn't work for them, which doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

I went to refund the buyer and it gives me an error message saying it can't do it.  The refund is only for $16.35.  I sold an item for $23 yesteday that Ebay is currently holding funds for.

When I go back and try again, I noticed there's something that says "if you don't have enough use this to setup payments" or something.  I click on that and it allows me to use a credit card to issue the refund.  What!?

I thought they deducted it from my bank account or from the funds they're holding.  What's the point in holding funds?

Why am I being forced to use a CC to refund something?  Is this a bug?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Ebay won't let me refund, it keeps giving an error (managed payments)

I agree. This is one of the first refunds under MP that I have noticed and I will be watching the outcome with interest.

As to the Hold, PP actually had the same sort of Hold, but was willing/able to front the seller her payment  so the money we deposited immediately from our PP accounts was actually a sort of loan. Remember that new, occasional and questionable sellers did have Holds of up to 21 days on their cleared payments.

And also, since sellers had the power to run a PP balance for buying or whatever, it was easier for PP to process a refund from money they still more or less controlled.

Another failure to look ahead on the part of the MP implementation team, along with the very very deeply stupid decision that we could not use our received payments to buy on eBay.

Since a form of MP has been used for some time by etsy, perhaps someone who sells there has advice?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

what is the difference between money received 'processing' and 'on hold'?  I've been selling on ebay for a long time and have never had any payment received put on hold by anyone.

Does this mean on top of the 4 days or so it takes for payments to clear 'processing' there is going to be a long period where they are 'on hold' before they are available for payout?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@fergua3 as I understand it, it is the same as it was in PAYPAL. If there is something amiss, the payment processing is put on hold (it was taken back in PAYPAL) until it is resolved. There were a variety of reasons, chargebacks etc in PAYPAL, I'm assuming it will be the same here.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

If a buyer opens a claim the funds go on hold. Pre MP the hold would be on your PayPal account, now it's on your MP account.

Nothing has changed

Funds could also show On Hold under any of the regular funds holds that have been in place for years

such as.

New Seller Holds

Flagged High Risk Transaction Holds

Again, nothing has changed.

My sales don't sit in processing for 4 days except for sales late on Thursday and all day Friday, those sit until Monday morning. Sales from Sunday to early Thursday are normally processed in 12 - 36 hours, mostly less than 24.

If you are not a new seller and don't have any INR/NAD claims you won't ever see anything in "on hold".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sorry, I may have confused some people with my poor understanding of Ebay terms.  With the new Managed Payments thing when someone buys something from the money isn't deposited into my bank account for 3-5 days after the sale.  I ship the next day  and have never had issues getting payments this way from Ebay.  This is my first refund without paypal.  Right now Ebay has money that hasn't been paid to me that is more than what I'm refunding.

On the refund page it says this under the refund amount;

"Held from payouts until the request is complete"

After clicking next I get this;

We will deduct the total amount from your funds available for payout. To make sure you can pay if they are insufficient, you must add a payment option.

I then click "Refund Now" and it gives me an error saying it can't

This could be my mistunderstanding, but I was under the impression they refund would come from the money they haven't paid to me yet

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

If there is a claim open and the funds on Hold you probably need to do the refund from within the claim and not from the order itself.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

i have onlyl had 3 sales since i switched to MP.  All happened on Wednesday of last week (June 30).  ALL are still in processing.  One is from a Canadian buyer, one from a US buyer one from a Finland buyer.

Should i be concerned?  Does it ever happen that sellers ship items 'in processing' only fo discover the processing fails and the payment isn't received?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@fergua3 it is because of the holiday on the 1st. I also have a number that are still processing, most of them are due to process today. 

If you click on your "payments" tab and then again on the "processing" link beside the $ amount being processed it shows them all individually and the date they will be processed. I'm assuming it is likely today July 4th if they are like mine.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@recped wrote:

If there is a claim open and the funds on Hold you probably need to do the refund from within the claim and not from the order itself.

I don't know from experience so can't confirm this but someone did mention on the .com board that unlike Paypal, funds can't be taken from the money on hold. After the refund the hold will take a day or two to get taken off.  It does seem a bit more confusing. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Do they process on the weekend? 

Today is an American holiday, I wonder if that affects processing time.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I've never seen anything move from Processing to Completed on a Sunday (or Friday or Saturday), they all get done early on Monday. Sales from Late Sunday might not switch until later in the day on Monday.

All I see it that anything bought before Monday Afternoon gets included in my Tuesday Payout.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I'm not 100% sure which processing to completed is meant, but I can confirm that I had a whole bunch of stuff purchased on July 1st, moved from in process to "available" today Sunday July 4th - which I thought is very weird given it is Sunday and the US holiday as well.....

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

July 4 fell on a Sunday in 2021.

Then Monday July 5 becomes a ... Do Not go to work day.... in the US.

Maybe this is infuencing how things are handled by eBay.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply