Got this today: 1 Day handling time default "change"...

Ughh every day something new to think/worry about it seems.

This sort of does affect me because I use "2 day handling time" as my default.

I'm not exactly sure what "updating the pre-filled handling time value in the listing flow" really means, but I think I will be ok because I always do the "sell similar" or "relist" style listing, so theoretically it will bring the 2 day handling time from the original..... time will tell, September is all but over so I'm not sure when it will start but I guess it means soon...

(PS I'm never really sure if these announcements I get are a .COM announcement or a .CA announcement because my store is on .COM)

Message text:

==============================================================

ricarmic, We’re updating the pre-filled handling time value in the listing flow to 1 day for sellers who consistently ship faster than current defaults.

Hello ricarmic,

In September 2019, eBay will update the pre-filled value in the Handling time field in the eBay listing flows to 1 day. Currently, eBay listing flows are pre-filled with 2 or 3 days.

The 1 day handling time change will be an optional default when you create new listings. You can still select the handling time that works best for you at any time, and we will not change handling times in your existing listings.

We recommend you show a handling time of 1 day or less in your listings as delivery speed is an increasingly important factor in buyers’ purchase decisions, and because you are already shipping most of your shipments in 1 day or less. By reducing your handling time, your listings will be more appealing to buyers looking for a faster delivery.

To allow an opportunity to adjust to a 1 day handling time, we will protect your account from late shipments that are a result of the update. Through January 1, 2020 we will remove defects for a late shipment that are a result of the update. These protections will apply to transactions for listings on eBay.com where a 1 day handling time is stated. Defects will be automatically removed within 1-2 weeks of being received.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

The two day handing time is important to non-US sellers if only because our holiday calendar does not exactly match the opening days of the USPS.

Keeping in mind that USPS has full service on Saturdays, although they do not have the extended hours of many Canada Post outlets.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I believe it's specific to eBay.COM.... I noticed a posting on the .COM boards this a afternoon.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I saw it on .com as well. However, I think that if you sell on .com, as I do, that you are governed by the .com rules so it may apply to some of us Canadians.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

tyler: I was too late to get a message about this on the weekly chat.

Can you confirm that from now on, we can only have 1 day handling on .com?

This is not going to work for me, I am disabled and unable to drive and my 78 year old husband has to do all my mailing, but sometimes he is not able to do that.

Is there an alternative?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for giving me the heads-up.

Ian

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@triber wrote:

This is not going to work for me, I am disabled and unable to drive and my 78 year old husband has to do all my mailing, but sometimes he is not able to do that.

Is there an alternative?

How I read this is that the default value when you open the sell item form would now be 1.

(It appears, and I hope it is the case, that this is only if you open a blank sell your item form. Sell similar, and relist will still bring forward the previous handling time number)

It sounds like we can still change it to what we want but we would have to remember to change it to 2 or whatever number we want each time.

I've been watching my sell similars/relists and so far on both .CA and .COM it is keeping my original 2 days handling time.

PS to make sure Tyler sees this it is best to tag him: tyler@ebay 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

ebay.ca-2019.png

A few weeks ago, I changed my shipping time back to 1 day because eBay informed me that I would otherwise loose my top rated status and 10% final value fee discount on U.S. orders.

screenshot-111.png

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Yes I lost my qualification for TR on the US side a long time ago on .COM because my tracked % is not high enough so my 2 day handling time doesn't make it worse. However I do qualify for TR because I meet the Canadian standards, even though my store is a .COM store.

So I show as top rated here, but not there, but I do get the 10% off.

The dilema of being grandfathered.....sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, oftentimes I don't really know for sure what does/n't apply to me.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

In my opinion, the benefits of being Top Rated, whether US or Global, are in the 10% discount on FVF, and the quarterly shipping supplies allowance.

For badges, meh.

Buyers Don't Read.

If someone doesn't notice that an item is described as Used in the title, the Item Specifics and in the Description, what are the chances that they will notice that the seller has a TRS badge?

Amere? Moi?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Yep I agree, it did not seem to make any difference to me when I lost top rated status on .COM in terms of sales volume.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

On your actual invoice or running billi can you see where/if the 10 percent fees are charged. To my eye I can only see it for Global as a lump sum. Not per line as stated.

* Line items above marked by (*) received Top-rated Discount

I have looked for lines with the * but have been unable to find one. For me I only qualify for Global. US has become a wildest dreams scenario.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I could care less of badges, trophies, and coloured stars.
I'm still peeved about the reduction of 20% FVF discount to 10%, and the likelihood of it's eventual demise also.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Unless something has changed recently, Canadians receive the discount for all sales including US ones if they have global trs.  So even if you had lost your US trs you should have still received your discount for all sales since you do have trs global status.   

tyler@ebay could you please confirm if that is still the case?

Just as a fyi, sellers don’t need 1 day handling to be a trs on .com. But if you want the trs plus badge on .com listings, you do need 1 day or same day handling, seller paid returns and you also need to upload tracking on 95% of your transactions. So I suspect that your trs status wasn’t related to handling time.  Perhaps it was volume related. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Is there an alternative?

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

@triber 

I make my daily postbox drop part of my daily exercise program but I understand that Canada Post has some sort of pickup program, haven't had to think about it so far.

I also have had a carrier offer to pick up letters I had on the hall table while I was signing for a package, which was nice of him.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@ricarmic 

In rereading this discussion it seems the most critical part for you is what I've highlighted.

The 1 day handling time change will be an optional default when you create new listings. You can still select the handling time that works best for you at any time, and we will not change handling times in your existing listings.

We recommend you show a handling time of 1 day or less in your listings as delivery speed is an increasingly important factor in buyers’ purchase decisions, and because you are already shipping most of your shipments in 1 day or less. By reducing your handling time, your listings will be more appealing to buyers looking for a faster delivery.

Might be best to check a few recent listings that have rolled over with GTC and confirm this is the case.  According to that announcement and your original question just update the handling time to 2 days as you create new listings. Handling time is located very close to the Shipping options.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Yes, I have looked into the pick-up, but Canada Post told me it was just for packages, not lettermail, and that is mostly what I have. It costs $3 a pick up, a lot if you only have one lettermail at a time especially if it is one day handling. I sure hope we can use 2 day, my husband has a lot of hospital appointments and sometimes away for several days. It does make mailing difficult.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Is there an alternative?

Hi @triber - I want to clarify that there has not been a change of expectation for your handling time: you are able to set the handling time that works best for your business. 

The message that @ricarmic received is a notification that the default setting for handling time is being moved to 1 day, but it is still within your control to change. This means that for listings you are creating from scratch that you will want to make sure your handling time is set to be what works for you. Any Good Til Cancelled items will renew at the handling time you originally set. Relists and sell-similar should work the same way (pulling the handling time from the original listing). 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Unless something has changed recently, Canadians receive the discount for all sales including US ones if they have global trs.  So even if you had lost your US trs you should have still received your discount for all sales since you do have trs global status.   

tyler@ebay could you please confirm if that is still the case?

Just as a fyi, sellers don’t need 1 day handling to be a trs on .com. But if you want the trs plus badge on .com listings, you do need 1 day or same day handling, seller paid returns and you also need to upload tracking on 95% of your transactions. So I suspect that your trs status wasn’t related to handling time.  Perhaps it was volume related. 

Hi @pjcdn2005 - members registered on eBay Canada are able to qualify for the Top Rated status (and discount) through either the US or the Global programs. 

If an eBay.ca registered account qualifies for the Global Top-rated seller performance program the receive a 10% discount on Final Value Fees for items listed on eBay.com and eBay.ca (and receive a badge on their eBay.ca listings). 

An eBay.ca registered account wanting to qualify for the eBay.com Top-rated seller performance program would need to meet the requirements, with the exception of the tracking requirements. However, the Final Value Fee discount through the eBay.com Top-rated program would require a 1 day handling time and 30-day seller paid returns. Additionally, to qualify for the badge on eBay.com listings all US requirements must be met (tracking included).

High level takeaway: if you achieve Top-rated status in the Global market your account should receive a 10% discount on eBay.ca and eBay.com listed items. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 23
latest reply