Got this today: 1 Day handling time default "change"...

Ughh every day something new to think/worry about it seems.

This sort of does affect me because I use "2 day handling time" as my default.

I'm not exactly sure what "updating the pre-filled handling time value in the listing flow" really means, but I think I will be ok because I always do the "sell similar" or "relist" style listing, so theoretically it will bring the 2 day handling time from the original..... time will tell, September is all but over so I'm not sure when it will start but I guess it means soon...

(PS I'm never really sure if these announcements I get are a .COM announcement or a .CA announcement because my store is on .COM)

Message text:

==============================================================

ricarmic, We’re updating the pre-filled handling time value in the listing flow to 1 day for sellers who consistently ship faster than current defaults.

Hello ricarmic,

In September 2019, eBay will update the pre-filled value in the Handling time field in the eBay listing flows to 1 day. Currently, eBay listing flows are pre-filled with 2 or 3 days.

The 1 day handling time change will be an optional default when you create new listings. You can still select the handling time that works best for you at any time, and we will not change handling times in your existing listings.

We recommend you show a handling time of 1 day or less in your listings as delivery speed is an increasingly important factor in buyers’ purchase decisions, and because you are already shipping most of your shipments in 1 day or less. By reducing your handling time, your listings will be more appealing to buyers looking for a faster delivery.

To allow an opportunity to adjust to a 1 day handling time, we will protect your account from late shipments that are a result of the update. Through January 1, 2020 we will remove defects for a late shipment that are a result of the update. These protections will apply to transactions for listings on eBay.com where a 1 day handling time is stated. Defects will be automatically removed within 1-2 weeks of being received.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Stupid and typical tone deaf change made by ebay. This is exactly why I will never use any ebay selling tools. 

Sellers don't need help setting their handling time. Sellers don't need ebay changing defaults that benefit ebay and help some exec or product manager look like they have done something clever.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Thanks Tyler, that is a big relief. I got the email also and found the wording a big confusing, I am so glad we can still have a longer handling time, we always try to mail every day we have a sale, but sometimes it isn't possible.

I appreciate your reply.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Thanks Tyler, that is a big relief. I got the email also and found the wording a big confusing, I am so glad we can still have a longer handling time, we always try to mail every day we have a sale, but sometimes it isn't possible.

I appreciate your reply.

An important tidbit from another thread on the subject. Note that quite a few sellers have noted how this change plus the change to hiding shipping options from customers has completely mangled their estimated delivery dates to buyers. I'll add the caveat that this is more impactful on the US side where delivery times are quite consistent via USPS. This is all about the US side saying HEY LOOK CUSTOMERS WE ARE TOTALLY AS FAST AS AMAZON. Another US executive move straight of the used car salesman playbook. Their disdain for the privateer/small business seller is readily apparent. Is the lack of growth so bad that we have to stoop to this level of overpromising just to get a sale? Great you protect someone from a defect, but you still get negative comments in feedback about lateness and some of us shockingly care about customer retention. Christ.

For some time now, we have been displaying an estimated delivery date to buyers based on the sellers historical shipping times. If a seller consistently ships items within 1-business day then we'll calculate the estimated shipping time factoring in a 1-business day handle time, even if the seller has 2-business days selected. However, a seller is still protected from late shipment defects as long as the item is shipping within their stated handling time.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply