Item says sold but does not appears in sold items or payal

Buyer contacted me wanted to know if I received payment.I did not,however the item on my end says"You sold this item' but does not show up on paypal or my sold list.Any ideas?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

How long ago was it purchased??

I've not had these exact symptoms before, but other weird things similar.

A call to eBay first is probably a good idea, or ask Tyler, they can see the "history" of the transaction to see what actually happened.

My guess is that something in ebay failed (making it think the transaction payment wasn't going to happen) and it zapped it.

Why did the buyer ask, did they get an odd message?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Something is indeed broken with ebay today. Had a sale go through paypal as completed at 9:30 am. As of noon no record of sale in ebay and inventory is still live on ebay. Listings for single quantity items sold are still live on ebay but with the add to cart and buy it now disabled. Was going to remove those listings to prevent overselling but that may bork the transaction if/when it shows on ebay. Well this is a new one.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hlmac, this is EXACTLY what happened to me, except my buyer later bought it again.

In my case eBay believed the payment authorization failed so it cancelled the transaction and sent a message to the buyer that it failed (so they purchased and paid again). On the PAYPAL end, both transactions were fine.

I suspect yours is the same as my first half, your buyer hasn't yet reacted to the message that the transaction failed.

This scenario is a major pain because it causes a lot of "explaining" work we have to do to keep the buyers apprised of the situation in addition to whatever automagic stuff they see from eBay.

Since yours looks a lot like mine I'm tagging tyler@ebay so he can see if it is still happening (I think it is an eBay glitch that is misunderstanding some message/response from PAYPAL during the payment phase....)

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @ricarmic!

Hi @hockeytown-north & @hlmacdon - this is a little different from Ric's situation from last week. I have a number of reports about members having issues paying. It's been tracked to an issue with one of PayPal's providers and is undergoing maintenance now.

For the time being, don't ask your buyers to make another payment, and give us a bit more time to work on it. Typically when these types of outages are resolved the eBay notifications of payment come through quickly.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

***Edit to add***

If you want to send me the usernames and item numbers of your customers involved I'll get them added to the open ticket. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Update!

I've heard back on this that the core issue causing this was found by PayPal and corrected, and we should see payments being 'retried' over the next while. 

Personally I would give it until tomorrow. If you have transactions that still don't register as paid by then will you tag me to a thread and let me know?

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@hockeytown-north 

Buyer contacted me wanted to know if I received payment.I did not,however the item on my end says"You sold this item' but does not show up on paypal or my sold list.Any ideas?

I'm glad tyler@ebay  was able to find out about the glitch and your problem will soon be fixed.

But.

I am a nasty and cynical old lady.

• You do know that either the buyer or the seller can mark an item Paid on eBay, right? This is available for cash on pickup sales, but is also a leftover from the very early days when sending cash, money orders or personal cheques in the mail was common. Do not ship until you see the payment in your Paypal account.

And let your buyer know what is going on. You might tell him that his payment has not yet cleared (which it sorta hasn't) but it is packaged and ready to go as soon as that shows in Paypal , just to keep him happy.

And use tracking, in case you wouldn't be in any case.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

i am experiencing some what weird as well, i sold 2 items, got my notices,  from ebay as sold, and from paypal as paid,  i checked paypal, and it was paid, yet ebay doesn't show it as paid and ready to ship. even though i know it has been paid for, and of course ebay takes their cut the second it sells, which is showing in my fees. so what is the disconnect here?? i can't mark it as payment received, or i may get fees removed again..

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

when i go to items awaiting payment, the 2 items are in there, but they have been clearly paid for,, but it is saying ...

Payment was initiated and is being processed through PayPal.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

just showed up as paid, in my ebay.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for letting me know @esclyons! Glad to hear it came through. 😄 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Payment was initiated and is being processed through PayPal.

I think that means the buyer sent his payment as an echeque and it hasn't cleared the banking system yet.

It could bounce.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply