Help us find the bug: Tracking info not updating

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

We're looking for some more help with something that was reported on the weekly chat. It was reported that folks are not seeing tracking information update in My eBay (order details and purchase history), even if it's updating on the shipping company's website without a problem. 

In order to get more action on this I need example tracking numbers or screenshots that you're seeing things not update (all our testing accounts, and my personal account, are updating like we'd expect to see). 

Any help you can provide would be great!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Help us find the bug: Tracking info not updating

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Tagging @msmaggie060 and @msau4301 who mentioned the issue specifically. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Just a couple of notes about the shipping updates. On the app/phone version if I click on tracking it shows all the steps, it's only on the main site/browser version (which I prefer to work on when home) that it only says either "on way" or "delivered", it used to show everything up to a few days ago. Here is a sample waybill number for that (sorry not sure how to do the screen shot!) Canada Post Tracking LE016281326CA.

Here's an example of one that was delivered October 4th but does not update...to make matters worse it says "returning to you" but that is wrong, my buyer received it, is very happy, left me feedback. Here is the waybill number for that one - again Canada Post 8555074589801298.

Thanks for looking into this!

May 🙂

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I had soemthing show on Canada Post Oct 4 as "

Delivered to your community mailbox, parcel locker or apt./condo mailbox
Regina, SK" as seen in my screen shot uploaded it says delievered on Canada post

On ebay still doesnt show as delievered (on the app and on the main web browser)

I added an attachement titles"ebay issue"
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Hi Tyler, attached are some screenshots for you. BTW, my pkg to the US shipped expedited by Canada Post shows delivered okay, it is my shipments by Canada Post expedited within Canada that do not show updated info.

---Edit to remove screenshots---

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

BTW Tyler, first time I have had to do a screenshot on my pc so if information isn't what you need, please let me know.

And thank you so much for looking into this!

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for these examples - I've gotten them to the Shipping team and I hope that this many means we can get to the bottom of it quickly!

Also - @msmaggie060 - your screenshots were GREAT! I'm going to remove them just because there's a lot of info in them I don't want to leave up for very long, but they were immensely helpful!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

My experience with the status of domestic Expedited Parcels not updating in eBay mirrors what @msmaggie060 posted. But at least some of those Expedited Parcels do eventually show as "Delivered", whereas all of my domestic Flat Rate Boxes seem to get permanently stalled at either "In Transit" or "Out for Delivery."  Some recent examples:

09-07597-49168

03-07599-84182

26-07599-44810

26-07599-44811

27-07619-63941

All of the above orders were received on or before the estimated delivery date, and have since received uniformly positive feedback for speed and service.  None show "Delivered" in eBay, only on Canada Post.

P. S. This particular issue has been dogging me for over a year tyler@ebay . If you need additional examples, there are some images posted in a couple of threads circa late summer/early fall 2020 showing the pattern of unresolved delivery status in eBay over an entire quarter. Almost always domestic Expedited Parcels, and especially Flat Rate Boxes.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Examples from previous threads mentioned above tyler@ebay

1. Ebay says package been out for delivery, Canada Post says it was delivered : https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Ebay-says-package-been-out-for-delivery-Canada-Post-says...
  2. New Glitch....Uploaded tracking numbers vanishing : https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-Glitch-Uploaded-tracking-numbers-vanishing/m-p/45938...

By breaking down unresolved delivery status by the type of CP service, it's clear that this bug is a predominantly domestic issue...especially with Expedited Parcels and Flat Rate Boxes.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

tyler@ebay 

This is very common for shipments inside Canada.  Examples and screenshots below:

First - Canada Post confirms delivery on Sept. 22.  Ebay shows "Item Processed"

0102464055081006 CP Screenshot.jpg0102464055081006 Ebay Screenshot.jpg

Second - Canada Post confirms delivery on Oct. 6.  Ebay shows "Item Processed"

313682775989 CP Screenshot.jpg313682775989 Ebay screenshot.jpg

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Tyler, i've been having this issue for over a year.  About 75% of the time tracking numbers i upload do not fully update but stop at some point before the delivery scan, even though the tracking on Canada Post or USPS sites shows delivered.

I only use a PC so i can't say what i would see on a mobile device.  I use IE and Edge for browsers.  

I find virtually none of the Canadian tracking numbers i enter will update fully and about half the US tracking numbers i enter will not update fullly.

Any screenshots i would provide would be redundant.  They would look just like those posted above, with tracking updates abruptly stopping at some random point before delivery, even though the item was delivered.  And it's not just slow to update.  I have items delivered weeks ago where the Ebay tracking still doesn't show delivered.   Sometimes the updates will stop right away and sometimes the updates will stop after a week or two.  There is no pattern that i've noticed.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thank you for the additional examples @doc_scribe & @byto253 - they're very helpful in the ongoing conversations I'm having with the shipping team. 

@fergua3 - this is a good observation, thank you for providing your perspective and input!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

After further investigation, none of my tracked domestic shipments going back to July show as  "Delivered" in eBay. 100% of those successfully delivered orders are still stalled at either "In Transit" or "Out for Delivery":

26-07577-06024
05-07529-29536
27-07471-91771
11-07424-99672
03-07426-00129
13-07419-61799
07-07412-52637

By comparison, my U. S. Air Tracked Packets - including 2 sent after my most recent domestic tracked  shipments - all auto-updated to "Delivered" day and date with the  CP and USPS sites.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Thank you for the additional examples @doc_scribe & @byto253 - they're very helpful in the ongoing conversations I'm having with the shipping team. 

@fergua3 - this is a good observation, thank you for providing your perspective and input!

tyler@ebay 

Are they having any luck resolving this issue? And yes, it is still an issue. Appears to also have been reported on dot com. 

-Lotz

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

FTR, until recently, my domestic Flat Rate Box tracking in the Hub rarely advanced past "In Transit"; now its incremented to  "Out for Delivery" before getting stalled. But wait...my last domestic FRB actually shows "Delivered", so fingers crossed that someone has been working on this.

I know what I want for Christmas. 🤗

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

HI @lotzofuniquegoodies - it's still 'with' them, but I haven't gotten an update in a bit. I'll shake the tree and see if anything comes of it. 

Fingers crossed that @doc_scribe's shipments are evidence it's being resolved! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Here is another one.  Still in transit on ebay - Canada post tracking shows it delivered on Nov 9.

It's on the way to the buyer.
lucitabby_0-1637196449244.png

Accepted
Step 1 - Completed - Accepted Fri, Nov 5Fri, Nov 5
IStep 4 - Upcoming - Estimated delivery Mon, Nov 22Mon, Nov 22
Tracking details
Canada Post tracking #GD301292475CA
  • Nov 6, 2021
  • 2:31am
  • Item processed
  • CALGARY, AB T2E 0A0
  • Nov 5, 2021
  • 8:36pm
  • Item accepted at the Post Office
  • CALGARY, AB T3C 3W0
  • Nov 5, 2021
  • 5:02pm
  • Tracking number provided
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Is this ever going to get fixed?  It's gotten worse now, if anything.  At this point 0% of my Canadian tracking numbers update all the way to show delivered.  They stop part way and never update again.

This 'glitch' if that's what it is, has been going on for over a year now.  That is ridiculous.  

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I am still having trouble with Ebay updating tracking.   Recently sent out two parcels going to Ontario both by Expedited Parcel.    By checking with Canada Post both have been delivered but only one has been updated on Ebay website.    Have been telling buyers to check for updates on Canada Post website since Ebay is not reliable.   Wish this would get fixed.... very annoying that I have to go to another site to check on delivery. 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

if they can't fix it, or can't be bothered to fix it, i wish they'd just eliminate it.  Ebay tracking causes more problems than it's worth.  Buyers think their packages are stuck in limbo or lost, and Ebay reps when deciding INR cases decide in favour of the buyers because Ebay tracking shows a package not delivered, even though it has been.

Just replace it with the tracking number uploaded by the seller and a link to Canada Post's website where the buyer can enter the tracking number and check the status correctly.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply