Help with Managed Payment Listing Fees

Hi everyone,

I want to clarify how Managed Payments fees will work. (I have already read the various help articles).

Putting insertion fees aside, is the fee for typical categories (ex. Cell Accessories) 12.35% of the final sale + $0.30CAD?

I am just wondering of whether this will actually result in savings for me like eBay says. I don't think it will, so if anyone could let me know if my below example makes sense, please do.

I sell mostly inexpensive items (less than $8.00), so I have a PayPal Micropayments account, which charges a 5% final value fee plus $0.05 per transaction.

Let's say I sell an item for $5.95 (my typical price). In the current system, I would pay $5.95 * 0.10 for eBay fees + ($5.95 * 0.05) + $0.05 for PayPal fees. The total fees I pay for this transaction is $0.94.

With MP, I would pay ($5.95 * 0.1235) + $0.30. That's $1.03 of fees.

I know that's not a very significant difference, but it's not giving me any savings like I thought it would. That will add up, eventually. Are my calculations correct and will this system not benefit those who sell lower priced items?

Thanks,

Adam

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Re: Help with Managed Payment Listing Fees

Make no mistake, there will be a FVF charged on the US Sales Tax.

Message 61 of 104
latest reply

…… a FVF charged on the US Sales Tax…….

This will most likely happen with Managed Payments……The same as what happens with Paypal.

The next step will be different between Paypal and Managed Payments

Paypal is a US company and does not charge GST/HST/QST on this FVF from the  Internet Sales Tax

Managed Payments is a part of eBay …… eBay charges GST/HST/QST on all fees   …store subscription… FVF on transactions.

-----

If GST/HST/QST is charged on the FVF  charged on the Internet Sales Tax

……. then a Canadian seller is paying GST/HST/QST on a FVF derived from the Internet Sales Tax

……………..The internet Sales Tax was NOT the seller’s responsibility in a transaction.

Message 62 of 104
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

…… a FVF charged on the US Sales Tax…….

This will most likely happen with Managed Payments……The same as what happens with Paypal.

The next step will be different between Paypal and Managed Payments

Most likely will happen..I agree. But I thought that you had access to the info on the MP fees and that info would be in there so I was hoping that you knew for certain either way.

Message 63 of 104
latest reply

It's 100% true, as the policy currently stands the "simplified" fees with apply to the total transaction value (item+shipping+tax).

I can't find the page that I read this on but it was crystal clear and spelled out in detail.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 64 of 104
latest reply

Quote ..... (item+shipping+tax).

The question becomes... which tax

Internet sales tax    ..... or.....  GST/HST/QST....?

Message 65 of 104
latest reply

ANY tax!

And here's another thing for which I have not seen a definitive answer. It would only affect sellers NOT registered for GST/HST.

Today, eBay charges sellers GST/HST on all their fees, PayPal because they offer "financial services" are zero-rated for GST/HST.

Under Managed Payments "simplified" fees I'm wondering if eBay will charge GST/HST on the entire simplified fees or if they will charge only on the Item selling price. I expect that once they mix the two the zero-rated payment processing portion WILL be subject to GST/HST.

For sellers who are registered with the Feds it doesn't really matter since all tax paid is an ITC and is refunded but for sellers who are NOT registered there will be yet another added cost.

Currently

Item FVF is taxable

Payment processing not taxable

Under Managed Payments

Single FVF fee, probably all of it taxable.

I'm registered so for me it's just all an ITC and a wash that costs me nothing but others need to know that the 2.35 (or 3.35 for International) may be subject to 5 - 15% GST/HST.

Just another thing that is going to make "most sellers will save money" a completely bogus statement.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 66 of 104
latest reply

Currently Paypal calculates a fee, and charges the seller that fee before the Internet Sales Tax is removed  for a transaction that also includes purchase price plus shipping.

It was eBay that added the Internet Sale Tax to a transaction,  and then eventually removed the amount for the Internet sales Tax but not before Paypal charged a fee that included the Internet Sales Tax.

I have found nothing to indicate that this will change with Managed Payments...

Managed Payments is a part of eBay.  There has been no indication that Internet Sales Tax will be removed before FVF is calculated for a transaction.

With Managed Payments a part of the calculated FVF would  include the FVF  calculated on the value of the Internet Sales Tax.

The next step is that GST/HST is calculated on the total of FVF calculated for ....item sold plus  postage plus Internet Sales Tax.

The question becomes.... Why does a seller have to pay a tax... GST/HST... on a FVF that was derived from Internet Sales Tax.   a tax that is not the responsibility of a seller.

eBay set up and collected the Internet Sales Tax.....  not the seller.....  The seller should pay no FVF or GST/HST calculated on this FVF  as related to the Internet Sales Tax..

If the Internet Sales tax is not removed before FVF are calculated..... then a seller will pay an amount for GST/HST  for Internet Sales Tax that was not set up the seller 

-----------------------------

The question with respect to fee charged on the Internet Sales Tax has already been discussed.  Now GST/HST is a part of the discussion.

Now in Canada we have something new....  A calculation of GST/HST on a FVF from Internet Sales Tax....  The seller will pay a tax on something that was not the seller's responsibility...

Why?

Message 67 of 104
latest reply

I am also registered to collect GST/HST.....

and all of the taxes charged by eBay becomes an Input Tax Credit for me 

However, there are many sellers that will be paying more GST/HST based on FVF for each transaction ..... GST/HST on fees  that were not charged when Paypal was handling the money for all eBay transactions.

Message 68 of 104
latest reply

Re GST/HST on the payment processing portion of eBay fees

But we don't know yet for sure how eBay Canada will handle this, there is no equivalent in the USA and even if there was the "simplified fees" haven't happened yet.

It will be an issue on eBay.de, I'm not 100% sure but I think that VAT is similar to our GST, financial services are zero-rated.

The only similar situation I'm familiar with goes back many years and had to do with Canadian Customs and how they applied tarrifs to "handling charges" as a separate line items (tariff applicable) vs "handling" rolled in to the line item for "shipping" (tariff exempt) (this was all long GST during the time of Federal Sales Tax (15% back then) applied at the manufacturing level. I was an importer back then so the 15% tax applied to the landed price but shipping charges were exempt.

That all went away in 1991.....thanks Brian!

I actually did thank Mulroney at the time (not for anything else) because businesses with inventory got a rebate of all previous paid FST on current inventory, that was a 15% bonus that at the time meant a 6 figure cheque from Ottawa (and it couldn't have come at a better time for me as it was bad times in my business in the early 90's.

I'm not sure if anyone at eBay has even considered this issue, not sure how much of the design of the Canadian version of MP has had input from the Canadian office who might have had a inkling of the subject.

tyler@ebay 

Maybe you can shed some light on these questions. If taxes are charged on the full simplified fee the change from the current system would go like this (for sellers located in Ontario and NOT registered for GST).

eBay with PayPal

10% FVF, 2.9% + $0.30 payment fees + 13% GST applied to the 10% portion only

Sample - $20 Sale

FVF - $2.00

PP - $0.59 (2.9%+0.30)

GST @ 13% - $0.26 (ON Rate)

Total: $2.85

eBay with Managed Payments

Combined FVF 12.35% + $0.30 + GST applied to the entire fee

Sample - $20 item

FVF - $2.47

GST @ 13% - $0.32

Total: $2.79

Those "savings" are getting eaten up with these little "quirks".

Second issue which WILL affect me negatively.

Then there is the GIANT "quirk", if you apply the "simplified" fee to the gross amount of the transaction including taxes (Canadian and to a lessor degree US).

A GST registered seller might avoid the extra fee on payments because they can use that as an ITC while at the same time they are getting smacked by having to pay a new 10% fee on the 13% GST they have to charge Ontario buyers, this is a 1.3% hit to my bottom line and in my case wipes out ALL financial benefit for MP (and MORE!).

If there is anything that's not clear or if my math has mistakes just let me know because both could very well be possible!

Message 69 of 104
latest reply

Not accounted for in your samples are sales to the USA which make up over 80% of my sales normally.

I keep forgetting how much we are charged by PP on U$ sales, but I think it is 3.4% and 3.9% on overseas sales.

I don't recall seeing anything on how Managed Payments will be handling U$ sales to our Canadian MP accounts-- except that they have no provision for those of us with US bank* accounts.

*For those who are new to this, I mean accounts with US banks like Chase or RBCBank,  not a Canadian bank account in US dollars.

Message 70 of 104
latest reply

The last word on Canadians listing on .com is that eBay "is actively seeking a solution to allow deposits to US based accounts".

I might have the wording slightly wrong but it was clear that eBay knows it's a significant issue that they need to get right.

I didn't want to clutter up my sample with International, my initial calculations show that International will be cheaper than PP for everyone.

The MP rate is 13.35% or $3.35% if you get rid of the 10% old FVF (plus 30 cents of course), since taxes are only charged for Australia currently that lower than PayPals 3.9%

For the USA the MP rate will be 2.39% vs PayPal at 3.7% so on that there is plenty of headroom to cover most if not all of the tax on tax thing.

I have not finalized my spreadsheet that hopefully will account for almost any variation but initially it looks like this:

For sellers listing on .ca

International - Cheaper for sure

USA - from the same to slightly lower

Canada - Higher, possibly by a lot

Oh yeah here's another thing to factor in, you know how the fees on shipping are based on your lowest domestic shipping rate? I'd bet anything that is going to change to "whatever the buyer pays". If that change happens it will negatively affect some sellers, me I charge the same amount for US/Canada but I do save on single item International purchases because my overseas shipping is twice as much as the domestic which the fees are based on.

The only people "simplified" will be new sellers who have nothing to compare too, for the veterans among us the comparison of old vs new is actually anything but simplified.

Caveat - My numbers could be off at this point, I do plan to post actual hard numbers once a few details are revealed and I can spend the time staring at spreadsheet formulas. ( that won't happen for a couple of weeks as I'm going off to social distance by a few hundred miles!).

Message 71 of 104
latest reply

There are things we  will have to accept with the new Managed Payments (MP) option.

eBay has made many changes since 2003 when I started selling on eBay.  It is my plan to sell on eBay for three more years

The cost of dealing with the US Internet Sales Tax will change slightly. 

With Paypal  it was a fee charged before the tax was removed from a transaction by eBay

With MP it will most likely be the same....  a FVF charged on the cost of the Internet Sales Tax.....  and then a GST/HST calculated and remitted to Canada Revenue Agency.

Or .... will eBay remove the Internet Sales Tax from a transaction before a FVF is calculated?

We shall see......

Message 72 of 104
latest reply

@recped wrote:

[edited for brevity]

tyler@ebay 

Maybe you can shed some light on these questions. If taxes are charged on the full simplified fee the change from the current system would go like this (for sellers located in Ontario and NOT registered for GST).

eBay with PayPal

10% FVF, 2.9% + $0.30 payment fees + 13% GST applied to the 10% portion only

Sample - $20 Sale

FVF - $2.00

PP - $0.59 (2.9%+0.30)

GST @ 13% - $0.26 (ON Rate)

Total: $2.85

eBay with Managed Payments

Combined FVF 12.35% + $0.30 + GST applied to the entire fee

Sample - $20 item

FVF - $2.47

GST @ 13% - $0.32

Total: $2.79

Those "savings" are getting eaten up with these little "quirks".

Second issue which WILL affect me negatively.

Then there is the GIANT "quirk", if you apply the "simplified" fee to the gross amount of the transaction including taxes (Canadian and to a lessor degree US).

A GST registered seller might avoid the extra fee on payments because they can use that as an ITC while at the same time they are getting smacked by having to pay a new 10% fee on the 13% GST they have to charge Ontario buyers, this is a 1.3% hit to my bottom line and in my case wipes out ALL financial benefit for MP (and MORE!).

If there is anything that's not clear or if my math has mistakes just let me know because both could very well be possible!

Hi @recped - I know I sound like a broken record, but I have to emphasize that the details I have about the Canadian program are very limited and as such, most questions aren't going to be things I can answer, etc, etc. 🙂

That being said, I can provide some insight on the way these types of scenarios are being handled within the .com program, details follow:

Currently the US program has announced that the new Final Value Fee structure happening in July will be based on total buyer payment inclusive of sales tax.

When it comes to GST - I do not have full clarification on this, but based on what I'm seeing this is less a combination of two fees (Final Value Fee and processing fee) but a complete 'rebrand' of the Final Value Fee to also include a percentage for processing (I know that seems like splitting hairs). With that in mind my guess is that GST would be charged on the total Final Value Fee percentage without breaking it out - so scenario 2 in your example. 

As I get more information I'll definitely share it, but please remember that my visibility into this topic is limited. In fact, if you have received an invite to payments you probably have access to more information than I do. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 73 of 104
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Hello Tyler,

Most of the frustration from Canadian sellers is asking them to sign up for something eBay Canada does not have all the answers for. Many of these same questions have been brought up shortly after Managed Payments was announced as coming to Canada. It's like asking someone step into a sinkhole without knowing how deep it is.

-Lotz

Water main break creates sinkhole along Florence's Arno River ...

Message 74 of 104
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - you and me both!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 75 of 104
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Even a clear explanation of where any savings for sellers pocketbooks would  be most helpful and very good advertising at the same time.

-Lotz

Message 76 of 104
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Not accounted for in your samples are sales to the USA which make up over 80% of my sales normally.

I keep forgetting how much we are charged by PP on U$ sales, but I think it is 3.4% and 3.9% on overseas sales.

I don't recall seeing anything on how Managed Payments will be handling U$ sales to our Canadian MP accounts-- except that they have no provision for those of us with US bank* accounts.

*For those who are new to this, I mean accounts with US banks like Chase or RBCBank,  not a Canadian bank account in US dollars.

They did very clearly announce new MP fees to take effect in July. 

The new domestic (U.S. buyer) standard MP fee will be 2.35 + 0.30 on .com

If the sale is classified as being international the MP fee will be 2.35 + 1.65 + 0.30.

The announcement made no effort to define what exactly constitutes an international transaction. I suppose for U.S. registered sellers that would be any transaction outside of the USA ... but what about Canadians listing on .com? Are Canadians listing on .com likely to operate under a different fee schedule than Americans? I guess they'll let us know with our first MP transaction!

Message 77 of 104
latest reply

The announcement made no effort to define what exactly constitutes an international transaction.

Basically it's exactly the same as PayPal.

An International transaction is any order that a) ships to a location outside your home country or b) is bought by a buyer located outside your home country.

For Canadian sellers there are "special" rates for sales to US buyers, which are about halfway between the domestic rates and foreign rates.

Although the fees are different under MP the way an "international" transaction is defined is exactly the same as under PayPal.

Message 78 of 104
latest reply

They did clearly announce it but that was for US sellers and they only announced it to those invited to the program.  Some of those sellers posted about it which is how other sellers know the fees.

I don't understand why something as important as this is not discussed out in the open for all sellers so that sellers can plan ahead for their businesses. It certainly isn't specific to Canadian sellers, US sellers are upset about the lack of transparency too.

Message 79 of 104
latest reply

@recped wrote:

The announcement made no effort to define what exactly constitutes an international transaction.

Basically it's exactly the same as PayPal.

An International transaction is any order that a) ships to a location outside your home country or b) is bought by a buyer located outside your home country.

For Canadian sellers there are "special" rates for sales to US buyers, which are about halfway between the domestic rates and foreign rates.

Although the fees are different under MP the way an "international" transaction is defined is exactly the same as under PayPal

I worded that comment badly. I should have said the announcement made no mention of varying fees depending where, what country the buyer sent the funds from. Ebay has sort of conditioned me to divide the world into 3 groups, Canada, U.S. and International. The fee announcement did not differentiate between the last two groups.

As you've pointed out Canadians' Paypal fees do vary right now. As loads of Canadians list on .com should this fee aspect not have been addressed in last week's announcement.

Message 80 of 104
latest reply