Hmm a new one, PAYPAL payment, NO evidence in eBay of any sales!!!

About an hour ago, I received a PAYPAL payment identifying that someone purchased 2 different multi items and paid for them. (It is a returning buyer, they've purchased from me before)

When I look in eBay, I cannot find any indication anywhere of the purchase!

Not in seller hub, nor in looking in the items themselves.

I've never seen this before.

Every day is a new adventure it seems!

Fortunately both are multi items, so I don't have any problems that way.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @ricarmic - definitely unusual. 

Will you give it a bit of time just in case something needs to 'catch up'? If it doesn't show up by tomorrow morning shoot me the item numbers and buyer ids and I'll do some prodding. 🙂

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

ricarmic: This has happened to me twice, eventually the sale did appear in eBay, the first one was several hours. I did contact Paypal because I wasn't sure if I should mail the item, but they said that as long as the payment was there, it was alright to mail.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

This happened to me last week. The eBay sold message finally showed up the next day. As long as you have the PayPal message I would just go ahead and ship.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Since I will ONLY ship if I see the money in Paypal  , my problem would be the opposite of yours.

However, I do sell on other sites that use Paypal, so that complicates things.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes I sell on other sites too, but one can tell by the details that it is from eBay.

Even more oddly, here is the situation this morning:

7:11 PM yesterday, only PAYPAL $$$ payment/email. No ebay identification of transaction of any kind

10:18 PM yesterday, another PAYPAL $$$ payment/email showed up along with the normal eBay identification of transaction/email/information in seller hub

So now I have the actual $$$ two times in PAYPAL, the transaction only one time in eBay. 

tyler@ebay I will send you the details.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

OK so here is the conclusion*:

(after Tyler's help and a call to PAYPAL).

What it looks like happened:

eBay: flagged the transaction as failed (reason not known for sure) and advised the buyer. Buyer repurchased and paid again. (this is why no evidence on the eBay side of the "failed" transaction).

PAYPAL: both transactions came through AOK.

So it looks to me very likely that it was an eBay glitch that misunderstood something when the PAYPAL payment request was executed.

Both Tyler and PAYPAL suggested refunding the buyer*.

So, before I refunded the buyer, I called her and left a message because she wasn't home and as well sent an eBay message (because I have a spider sense concern that she will think I refunded and cancelled the "good" transaction).

I've refunded the buyer so hopefully this is the end of it!!*

*another concern I have is that the eBay internal workings figure out that there was a problem and then undo the remaining amount leaving me with nothing. I'm sure if that happens PAYPAL or eBay or the customer (she's a repeat buyer) will work with me to fix it. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply