MANAGED PAYMENT QUESTIONS

If you have more than one eBay account do you require a different bank account for each?

What will the very last day to accept this insult be?

This will be very costly for anyone selling in US dollars and using those funds via Paypal to purchase stock in US dollars as funds will be converted to Canadian dollars and need to be converted back. This is being rolled out before it is ready to do the job. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

The question of US dollar payments and American bank accounts * has been raised both in specific threads and in tyler@ebay  's weekly question threads.

We still don't have an answer.

Many Canadian sellers list on dotCOM in US dollars and are paid in US dollars.

Fewer, most of them larger sellers,  have American bank accounts for those payments.

I was doing reconciliations yesterday and noticed that my sales, over four currently active selling accounts, are about half in US dollars and half in loonies.  It would not surprise me if this is the norm for Canadian sellers, or even if we sell more in US dollars than in our own currency.

*As opposed to Canadian bank accounts in US dollars.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946!

Hi @widgetc - I don't have many details I can share on payments - but you're able to request a call back from a Managed Payments teammate via the help pages if you've received a registration email. 

When it comes to receiving funds in CAD and USD it's been stated by a payments expert and in the FAQs that a solution is still being worked out for businesses that need to receive both currencies. They've also indicated that businesses that receive a large part of their business in USD won't be asked to join managed payments until there is a solution. 

Regarding your questions:

If you have more than one eBay account do you require a different bank account for each?

No, you can use the same bank account across multiple eBay accounts as long as it meets the criteria stated in the T&Cs.

What will the very last day to accept this insult be?

Opt-in begins in July, though many sellers won't be joining that wave. If you've received a registration email please consider contacting CS so they can help get you specifics!

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

copied from a .COM thread:

charles_payments
Re: ebay Managed Payment for Canadian selling in US site
in reply to 06-26-2020 03:28:56 PM

Hello @ay62014,

I'll preface this with a note that this information is written at a high level and that it's best to contact customer service for information specific to your account.

In order to sell on eBay.com, a seller would have to have a US Government issued identifier such as a Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number (TIN). If a seller only has CA issued identifiers, they would have to sell on eBay.ca

That said, a CA citizen could potentially sell on eBay.com if they have a business that is registered to operate in the US. I can't speak to the legalities of corporate structures and forming one, but if a seller has a US TIN for their business, then they should be able to register on eBay.com

In terms of how we handle Form 1099-K, those are issued to sellers only if it is applicable to their account. Our official phrasing on it is:

We will provide you a 1099-K report in accordance with applicable state and federal law. Most states require a 1099-K report to be provided to you if you have processed 200 transactions or more and have greater than $20,000 USD in gross sales since opting in for managed payments.

Some US states (e.g. Massachusetts, Vermont) require that a 1099-K report be provided if your gross sales are greater than $600 USD and 1 or more transactions have been processed. Only transactions processed under the managed payments model will be eligible for 1099-K reports.

The thresholds are set based on the registered location of the seller on their eBay.com account.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Well isn't that a bit of a bombshell... looks like eBay.CA sellers who sell on eBay.COM will have to end all their listings and relist them one by one on eBay.CA in the near future. 

It's moving your USD listings from eBay.CA to eBay.COM fiasco all over again......

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@silverpinups 

If anyone was patiently waiting for the other shoe to drop, that could have been it!!

-Lotz

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Yes, it just keeps getting better.....

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

So.....

We can understand how this seems to impact Canadian sellers.

But...

Does this mean that Chinese sellers - so detested by US sellers for reasons that I can only understand as racism- will also not be allowed to list on dotCOM?

That should make the MAGAots delighted. Hmm?

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Perhaps this refers to receiving payments in USD to a US bank account? I do know that you need a TIN to open a U.S. registered business account with US routing numbers. Perhaps that is required by the payment processor (Ayden) to move US funds into a US account? FAQ on the .CA site regarding managed payments still states Canadian sellers can still list on .com.
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I don't think "charles_payments" has a clue, I'd bet anything he is speaking from a US point of view.

Sellers who are registered in Canada will be registered with the "Canadian Zone" of Managed Payment even if they sell on sites other than .ca

The issue with all that US stuff MAY come up if Canadian sellers want their US Dollar (.com) sales to pay out in US Dollars. If you let eBay do the conversion to CA Dollars they won't need any of the stuff referenced in that post.

eBay has stated many times that they are working on a solution for non-US sellers who list on .com so they can have payouts to a US bank in US Dollars.

In other words it's the same as it is with PayPal, Canadian sellers if they have a US bank account can have funds sent to that account or PayPal can convert to Canadian Dollars and transfer to a Canadian account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I notice that post is dated June 26th ... I'm hoping this payments guy just worded that comment poorly. 

The FAQ section on ebay.ca seems to indicate we will still be able to list on .com.

"As a Canadian registered seller, you will be able to actively list on eBay.com and link a Canadian bank account for your sales. We’re actively working on allowing Canadian sellers to link a US bank account to accept US dollar sales."

From the Fees FAQs section https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/managed-payments-on-ebay.html#faqs

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

A post like that should have been 100% proofed before it was submitted. It seems like the closer we get to July and Managed Payments, the more unresolved questions there are!!

-Lotz

To quote Ray Davies...."Paranoia may destroy ya."

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

After reading much of the original thread linked above, it seems the OP was asking how to register with eBay.com managed payments as a Canadian.

All of the mentioned requirements would hold true for that case, but not to be able to list and sell on ebay.com. If that were the case ever since the localized site structure was put in place Canadian sellers would have had to be registered as US businesses.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

tyler@ebay 

So.....

But...

Does this mean that Chinese sellers - so detested by US sellers for reasons that I can only understand as racism- will also not be allowed to list on dotCOM?

***Required disclaimer*** this response is accurate as of the response date but may become outdated over the course of time.

Hi @reallynicestamps - I can confirm that in order to register for managed payments on eBay.com you would be asked to provide that level of information, regardless of your nationality. 

To others' point, however, this would be in order to receive USD to a US-Based bank account. You will still be able to list items for sale on eBay.com, even if you are registered with the managed payments program through eBay Canada. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

tyler@ebay  thank you so much for bringing clarity to this situation.  Otherwise a complete overhaul of many sellers' business models would have been required.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

tyler@ebay 

So.....

But...

***Required disclaimer*** this response is accurate as of the response date but may become outdated over the course of time.

Hi @reallynicestamps - I can confirm that in order to register for managed payments on eBay.com you would be asked to provide that level of information, regardless of your nationality. 

To others' point, however, this would be in order to receive USD to a US-Based bank account. You will still be able to list items for sale on eBay.com, even if you are registered with the managed payments program through eBay Canada. Thanks!

tyler@ebay 

Hmm I must confess now I really don't know "what I am" with regards to this!

My ebay store is a .COM store, it always has been because there was no .CA when I created it.

This means I pay all my store fees in US$.

I list on both .COM and .CA "from the .COM store".

I've never moved it to the .CA store because manually moving 4,000 items would take me many weeks of effort.

Depending on how I read this I may have a big problem when I'm forced onto managed payments, ie I can't because I am not registered in the US. I'm doubly burned because my .CA items "come from .COM" too....

Closing my .COM store and reopening as a .CA store also will cost me the "fine" of closing the .COM (anchor!) store which renewed in June, earlier this month.

Say it isnt so!!! (fingers crossed)

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

I think the question is does a seller need to separately apply for managed payments as a separate domestic entity on every single ebay country site? Is there for example a completely separate US division of managed payments for ebay.com, and likewise for Canada or the UK? If so why does ebay have requirements that go beyond the competitor they are replacing? I'm hazarding a guess this is simply again a case of US staff not understanding things outside of their domestic knowledgebase. 

I'm not seeing any reason why ebay can't handle payments the same way as paypal does. Have a linked US bank account with a W8BEN on file at said bank. Bank handles all compliance as part of the account setup and ongoing monitoring. There are many Canadian small businesses that operate like this. You'd think we were reinventing the wheel here. 

If Canadians are going to be forced to .ca if they are not US citizens/registered businesses, why is ebay even looking at the ability for Canadian sellers to receive funds in USD under managed payments given said currency was banned from .ca? 

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

would also like to know if, managed payments sends a o.k. to ship email, with the updated buyers address connected to their payment address, as we all know, the supplied ebay address, doesn't always match the ship to address provided by Paypal.  A lot of ebayers who move, never think to provide , or update their new address to ebay, because as long as they update paypal, they get their items,,  would be good to know this stuff prior, to enlisting

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

It' never been clear to me what I count as, since I got migrated to being a "Canadian seller".  This happened a while (couple years or so?) after .CA was created, I don't remember anything officially ever coming to me to tell me I got moved to being a "Canadian seller" but then again that was a long time ago!

As far as I know, when ebay migrated me to being a Canadian seller, my .COM store was  "gandfathered" under my now Canadian seller id, and I didn't have to move my items to .CA. As I mentioned even at that time I had more than 1,000 items running (and our $$ were closer together than they are now!)

I suspect there aren't very many like me out there anymore, one would have to have a more than 15 years old store? I really don't remember when the migration happened but  was maybe 5 years after I started in 1999.

I might luck out as I do have a US bank account at a US bank.

Because of my "special status" I've been worried a few times over the years as the ebay world has evolved. This latest angle has me much more worried now than I was a couple weeks ago.

Time will tell I guess!

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

You don't need to do anything significant to convert a US Store to a CA Store, nothing at all needs to be done to your actual listings as they all appear in your Store no matter what country the store is registered in.

If it were not for the fact you just reupped for another year the whole process would take less than a minute.

FYI - A Canadian Store is at least 30% cheaper than a .com Store simply due to the exchange rate, both have the same $299/month but one is in US Dollars and the other in CA Dollars.

If you want to have a Canadian Store but sell mostly in the US you can continue to have your billing currency in US Dollars.

The issue of eBay doing the currency conversion or allowing you to withdraw to a US bank is the same regardless of where your store is (virtually) located.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 20 of 35
latest reply