MANAGED PAYMENT QUESTIONS

If you have more than one eBay account do you require a different bank account for each?

What will the very last day to accept this insult be?

This will be very costly for anyone selling in US dollars and using those funds via Paypal to purchase stock in US dollars as funds will be converted to Canadian dollars and need to be converted back. This is being rolled out before it is ready to do the job. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Hi recped!

Unless something has changed, it cannot be done that way.

You can close your .COM store and reopen as a .CA store, but it has to be the next month, and all the listings have to be closed in the .COM store and added again in the .CA store. (so they will be new items with new item numbers).

This is why I've never done it, closing the items is a show stopper for me because I use the item number as my filing system.

Having said this, it has been a while since I last tried but this is always the message I've received, and I have tried in the past a few times for the very reason you mention, I hate paying the 30% more for the same services.....

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Hi @ricarmic - your situation is definitely a little unusual. 

If your account is registered as a '.com' account, but your input information (things like registration address, etc) are Canadian you should fall into the Canadian program. I'll see if I can get more information between now and next Wednesday, but if I can't will you make sure to bring this up on the Weekly chat then? Our payment expert will be answering questions and this is a perfect one for him. 

Thanks!

As to the store, I'm not sure if we've looked at this in the past, but since a store subscription would apply to both .com and .CA I think you could move the subscription site from US to CA without needing to end your listings (since you'd get an Anchor store allowance on both sites with 1 subscription). The only hiccup I can see happening is that if you run your account primarily through .com, you'd have to site hop to .CA to do things like managing your store settings. That could get annoying, but for that price difference it may be worth it. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 35
latest reply

Hi tyler@ebay 

It will be awesome if I can somehow migrate without having to close and re-add each of the items.

Everything I see shows as far as I know that I am "Canadian" address etc wise. (and I get my store coupon in $C which also leads me to believe ebay thinks of me as Canadian too).

It was last in 2019 that I talked with my "anchor store" special support folks (to try to save the difference in the US$ vs $C rates) about moving my store to .CA and they advised of the process I mentioned earlier, ie I could not just switch the store I would have to end the .COM store and create a new .CA store which includes ending and re-adding all the items. That was consistent with the message I'd received before that so I did not push further.

I don't think you've ever checked this out for me before, so hopefully there is a way without zapping the items, and the advice I got before was wrong or things have changed positively so one can do it now!

So I am not sure how to determine if I can safely move the store now (keeping in mind I have just under 3,000 grandfathered items missing required item specifics). That really isn't something for the payment expert, where should I be going next to pursue this aspect?

PS it is no problem to hop back and forth I do this now all the time because I've got items on both sites anyway.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

In past years I used Turbolister to create listings, upload them as well as store inactive listings for both ebay.ca and ebay.com.

From time to time it would have been handy to have been able to select a few inactive listings created for .com to relist on .ca or vice versa but like ricarmic mentioned it's not that easy, at least not using TL it wasn't . 

There are 2 main obstacles, the listing item number and the currency mismatch. The one solution I found but never attempted went something like this. Turbolister had the ability to export the database as a comma separated or .csv file. The user then opened the file using excel or similar spreadsheet software, once viewed in spreadsheet form the column containing all the item number data could be deleted entirely. The next step was to select listing site column so as the country code could be changed as desired, ie; change 01 to 02 or vice versa, not sure now but I think 01 represents U.S. and 02 is Canada ... this change sorted out the currency mismatch.

Having made the necessary changes and saved the file, the altered .csv file was then imported back into turbolister containing no item numbers and site id compatible with the country where the listings are to be uploaded.

Now, there were other columns of data that needed adjustment too, for sure the shipping details are much different between sites. Had I gone this route I probably would have just deleted all of the shipping service data hoping to add the correct services back once the "new" listings were uploaded.

Why mention all this at all since TL is all but dead? Just thinking out loud really ... I am wondering whether the same sort of process could be undertaken using File Exchange which is alive and well. 

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Hi recped!

You can close your .COM store and reopen as a .CA store, but it has to be the next month, and all the listings have to be closed in the .COM store and added again in the .CA store. (so they will be new items with new item numbers).

This is why I've never done it, closing the items is a show stopper for me because I use the item number as my filing system.

Having said this, it has been a while since I last tried but this is always the message I've received, and I have tried in the past a few times for the very reason you mention, I hate paying the 30% more for the same services.....

When you close a Store nothing happens to your existing listings, they continue on as they always have. When you open a Store all your existing listings are part of the new Store. The listing numbers do not change and their history is not lost.

It's not at all like actually moving listings from one site to another (.com to .ca) to do that it does require that you end the listing on one site and then relist it on the other site. Been there and done that once and it was problematic.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 25 of 35
latest reply

@recped 

The problem is paying currency exchange.

Some, perhaps many,  and most of those larger, sellers have US bank accounts.

Not Canadian bank accounts in US dollars, but accounts with banks in the USA.

We have one, a remnant of our now retired B&M store, and move all our US payments from Paypal to that store.

We use the balance to pay  for US dollar purchases.

And sometimes because RBCBank and the Royal Bank are partnered in some way, we move US dollars to our Royal Bank US dollar account - without having to pay to exchange US for Canadian and then back into US dollars.

The problem is not only US laws about foreigners banking in the USA but that doubled exchange charge.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

Hi recped!

When you close a Store nothing happens to your existing listings, they continue on as they always have. When you open a Store all your existing listings are part of the new Store. The listing numbers do not change and their history is not lost.

It's not at all like actually moving listings from one site to another (.com to .ca) to do that it does require that you end the listing on one site and then relist it on the other site. Been there and done that once and it was problematic.

This may be awesome news indeed because really all I want to happen is the store to change from a .COM to a .CA store. All of the .COM listings should stay on .COM, the .CA listings should stay on .CA just as they are today.

Perhaps when the furor over the folks that have to migrate in a couple weeks is over I'll see if I can finagle the "powers that be" to not fine me for closing the store early to reopen under the other site immediately, Tyler might be able to help me with that.

Femme regarding the $$ and conversion piece, yes that is yet another concern for me too, it looks like that will eventually be resolved though in some way or form. The good news on that front is that there are a lot more folks than me in that situation so there's more onus on figuring out a solution for it.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Perhaps when the furor over the folks that have to migrate in a couple weeks is over I'll see if I can finagle the "powers that be" to not fine me for closing the store early to reopen under the other site immediately, Tyler might be able to help me with that.

Yes that would be something to look into, it would have to be a "behind the scenes" type of thing, not sure if Tyler has the authority to do it himself but maybe he could pull some strings for you.

Since you have an Anchor Store you would likely have a better chance than somebody with a Basic Store (The only level I've ever had). Since you have an Anchor Store do you not also have a dedicated csr?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Hi rec! As far as I know I don't have a dedicated CSR (those were the good old days), I think I'm one level too low for that nowadays.....
Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@ricarmic - not quite sure why there will be others having to move their stores creating a furor - tyler@ebay confirmed we'll still be able to list on ebay.com as Canadian sellers - I can't imagine our store subscription origin (.com or .ca) will change that fact. tyler@ebay can you please confirm? Thanks.
Message 30 of 35
latest reply

Hi @cottagewoman!

You are correct: you will still be able to list items on .com and .ca when you are in managed payments, regardless of where your store subscription is originated. 

Ric and I were also discussing a different topic, in that his account is registered on .com and his store subscription is open under .com as well (instead of on .ca, where he'd be billed in CAD and thus save some money in the exchange).  

Sorry to confuse two issues on this thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Maybe not a dedicated person, but you do have access to Anchor Store phone support (or should at least)! Hoping they can review the situation if you give them a call and see if they can work something out for you. 

As far as I can see, @recped is correct - changing your store subscription site should do nothing to impact your existing items. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 32 of 35
latest reply

@cottagewoman 

The problem is that with PP, I can put US dollar payments in my American bank account and Canadian dollar payments in my Canadian bank account.

With Managed Payments, all payments from a Canadian seller, whatever the currency and whatever the site,  must be changed into loonies with the appropriate exchange fees, and deposited in a Canadian bank account.

While that Canadian account would usually be in Canadian dollars, with one set of exchange fees, if the seller wanted to put it in a Canadian Bank in US dollars she would pay, because of quirks in US law, to change the US dollars into loonies then pay again to have the loonies changed back to US dollars for deposit in her Canadian bank.

A Canadian seller could not keep a US dollar balance or transfer it to a US bank.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@cottagewoman wrote:
@ricarmic- not quite sure why there will be others having to move their stores creating a furor - tyler@ebay confirmed we'll still be able to list on ebay.com as Canadian sellers - I can't imagine our store subscription origin (.com or .ca) will change that fact. tyler@ebay can you please confirm? Thanks.

Hi! I meant the wave of people having to adopt managed payments in July that don't have my problem, the support folks will be busy with any questions problems they have. I'm not in that group. Sorry if that comment was confusing.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

The only wave of confused people in mid-July will be those that are working on the assumption that on the 15th a button will be pushed and everybody will be switched to MP.

I could be wrong but I expect the transition will take months and likely there will still be some sellers waiting for the move to MP in early 2021.

This doesn't even take into account the sellers of items which currently are not allowed under MP such as bullion and coin sellers and of course adult items (who after more than 10 years of forced PayPal are still exempt).

Message 35 of 35
latest reply