Paypal case notice - not authorized, What Now?

I received a notice from paypal:  

"We are writing to let you know one of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. The buyer stated that they did not authorize this purchase.

Here are the case details:"

Purchase was made November 3 and delivered with tracking to the address both on ebay and paypal.  I called the buyer but could only leave a message.  I responded to paypal giving them the tracking number and that it was delivered on Nov 12/19.    Now what?    

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Paypal case notice - not authorized, What Now?

Put the tracking/Proof of Delivery in the dispute, to begin with.

I successfully won a similar cc chargeback last year, by Messaging the buyer and chattily telling her what was ordered, when it arrived, and that she should check with her neighbouring cafe, in case they got it and didn't know what to do with it. Then I told her that her home was in a gorgeous location (next to a canal in Amsterdam). I don't know what part of my Message worked, but she dropped the Dispute.  Good thing too since I had not used tracking.

Oh-- all the info about "I know where you live?" Google Maps.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

i have won 3 ot of 3 of these, knock on wood.. I call  paypal and give them the tracking information again, on the phone, we have seller protection. They will put you on hold and verify the tracking information, once they confirm it was received, then they close the case in your favor.. Unless there is something else we are missing.  Funny thing is all 3 of my cases, they never disputed receiving the items they disputed authorizing the payment of said items. And guess what they weren't required to send back the items. I did receive full refunds through paypal, but i have never seen an item returned either.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I’m not sure what tracking confirmation has to do with an unauthorized purchase? The dispute is suggesting that someone used their card or account without their permission.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I did a google search and the buyer lives at the address indicated.  It shows he is a Dr and he is 81 years old and the phone number is also correct for that address.  I will give paypal a call on Monday as this was a holiday weekend.   I used USPS and verified that both ebay and paypal have the same address and it shows delivered to a parcel locker, I assume because he lives in an apartment building. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@splattii 

People forget they ordered the Thing.

Or the Thing has been delivered, and put carefully where it cannot possibly get lost.

Or the item was snatched by a porch pirate.

Or it is in the BBQ on the front porch.

Or they don't recognize the seller's name.

Or someone in the house used the account, and the complainant is the account holder.

Lots of perfectly sensible reasons to think the Thing was not ordered or not delivered.

While words mean something, not everyone uses the right words for that something.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I have had these in the past as well.

As I recall, I spoke directly with the fellow the last time and his card was compromised and the credit card company marks ALL purchases as "not authorized" automagically (for some companies/cards it seems).

He was very frustrated because he had a lot of work to do to fix all the cases opened for legitimate stuff that should not have been.

As I remember, it took time but I got the $$$ back no problems....

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Based on my experiences and what I’ve read, you have done everything that you need to do.  To win an in unauthorized cc  case all you need is proof that the item was shipped to the payment address and the payment must have been marked eligible for PayPal's Seller Protection on the Transaction Details page.

Regardless of the outcome between the cc company and PP, you will be covered by PP although they do tell you that you have to wait for the cc company’s decision.    If the funds are being held you could phone PP to mention that you’ve submitted proof that the item was shipped to the payment address so you should automatically be covered....they might release the funds quicker but even if you don’t do that, you shouldn’t be out the money.  Or you could just phone PP to confirm that you’re covered so that you don’t have to worry about it. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@splattii wrote:
I’m not sure what tracking confirmation has to do with an unauthorized purchase? The dispute is suggesting that someone used their card or account without their permission.

Yes but because we have no control over the payment process it is stated in PayPal’s seller protection that proof of shipment to the payment address is what is needed for unauthorized purchase claims.   If the cc company decides in favour of the buyer, the seller should still be covered if the rules are followed.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

From paypal:

Hello Musicyouneed,

We're happy to confirm that the following transaction was covered under Seller Protection as you met the PayPal Seller Protection requirements.   is now available in your PayPal balance and there is no further action required.

Done

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I had one of these, and I thought it ended months ago, but just today got this message from paypal.

"We received notice from the buyer's financial institution that Case ID XXXXXXXX has been decided in the buyer's favor. However, because you’re a valued customer, we’re not debiting your PayPal account for the disputed amount."

Honestly, I find this ridiculous.  How does this statement  matter at all, that the "financial institution" is siding with the buyer?  Obviously they would want to make paypal or myself pay the money for whatever scam happened here.  Paypal just gives in and sells it like they are doing me a favour?  This honestly really breaks my faith in the paypal/ebay process.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

You're complaining because Paypal covered you and paid a refund from their own (deep) pockets rather than take it from your account?

Okay.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

What happens next time?  Would I be a less valued customer next time because someone bought my item with a stolen credit card or whatever happened here?  And then I get to pay back the payment 4 months after paypal said the case was closed?  6 months after the item was delivered.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Paypal  covers unauthorized transactions as long as you have proof of shipping to the payment address. I don't know why they suggest at first why they might not cover it because it is part of  the user agreement, that part is sort of annoying.  Perhaps there are exceptions but I haven't ever read about a situation where the seller wasn't covered when there was proof of shipping.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Yeah, that is why I found this really odd.  They said 4 months ago that I was covered by seller protection and that the case was closed.  Then 4 months later they say the financial institution has sided with the buyer and out of the goodness of paypal's heart they won't take $450 from me 6 months after the item was delivered.

It just seems stupid and I really question ever selling an expensive item on ebay with them again.  6 months I get to worry that paypal will just fold to some financial institution, and maybe next time they decide I'm not valued enough to cover it?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

PayPal is weird in how they express things. I recall opening cases where I needed PayPal to step in, and I would get this e-mail that says they recovered $$$ from the seller but they included some weird statement that implied that there was a limit to the number of claims you could make or that somehow I was near that limit when I didn't have many cases.

PayPal has it's quirks. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Lawyers.

And we all know what Shakespeare said about lawyers....

Although to be fair to the legal profession, the speaker made his remarks because he was about to do something nefarious and would not get away with it if the law got involved. Just sayin'.....

Message 17 of 17
latest reply