Re Canadian delays ; I call BS

from ebay: Significant delays to Canada Post deliveries to the United States

The delays are more likely items sitting in USPS main postal hubs, in the USA...  Chicago among others..  MAKING this a UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE issue 

Example shipped item 22 dec arrived in Chicago on the 26th dec. Item STILL SITTING in Chicago with still no movement in over 4 weeks .

EBay  stop putting this on Canada being the issue. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I’m sure there are USPS problems but I just read about the Covid outbreak at the Mississauga Gateway plant and it doesn’t look to good there either. If they shut down Gateway I may have to shut down for a while too!

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Judging by the CBC article in another thread, I'd assume it's going to be a thing. Though I'm sure USPS has it's own problems.

• Jan 15, 2021
  • 8:27pm
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512
  • Jan 7, 2021
  • 2:51am
  • ARRIVED AT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE CENTER
  • ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS), 11430

Had this guy even dispute me for package not received. Guess it's too hard to check the clickable tracking.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

I’m sure there are USPS problems but I just read about the Covid outbreak at the Mississauga Gateway plant and it doesn’t look to good there either. If they shut down Gateway I may have to shut down for a while too!

Regarding the recently posted announcement regarding "issues" with delivery and Canadapost, for most switching to UPS/Fedex and others is not an option as people found out in the past there could be additional charges involved along with rebilling after the fact because of dimensional weights.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I've been rebilled $2 from Canada Post for incorrect values on dimensions/weights.

If you're any sort of serious seller, I'd imagine by now you would have:

• Scale
  • Measuring Tape and/or Ruler
  • Laser Printer
  • Labelopes or a Thermal Printer

I've only recently looked at NetParcel and some of the pricing looks pretty good but my next issue would be, would the international buyer prefer to always pay duties (plus brokerage) or pay duties 10% of the time. I also feel when you start dealing with UPS/Fedex you better have your 3 copies of the Commercial Invoice and anything else they want. If you ship courier you're basically rolling your own version of the GSP, except the buyer will only see the extra fees after the fact.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@google64 wrote:

I've only recently looked at NetParcel and some of the pricing looks pretty good but my next issue would be, would the international buyer prefer to always pay duties (plus brokerage) or pay duties 10% of the time. I also feel when you start dealing with UPS/Fedex you better have your 3 copies of the Commercial Invoice and anything else they want. If you ship courier you're basically rolling your own version of the GSP, except the buyer will only see the extra fees after the fact.

I don't think there are really any viable alternatives to the postal system for most Canadian eBay sellers shipping internationally, except for perhaps the United States.  Having said that, reforms to digital tax laws mean that many international buyers are paying or will soon be paying some sort of VAT at the time they purchase their items on eBay, anyway.  Paying duty on delivery may confuse some of them, or be no big deal to others.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@google64 wrote:

I don't think there are really any viable alternatives to the postal system for most Canadian eBay sellers shipping internationally, except for perhaps the United States.  Having said that, reforms to digital tax laws mean that many international buyers are paying or will soon be paying some sort of VAT at the time they purchase their items on eBay, anyway.  Paying duty on delivery may confuse some of them, or be no big deal to others.

There has been a push in recent years for tax fairness. In the past I think it's mostly been accepted that if you don't have a physical location in the target province or state, then you do not collect tax, as you would have no way to remit it.

Now last I heard, if you do business in say Quebec, Revenu Quebec expects you to register for a QST account, regardless if you have a physical presence or not.

It makes sense why eBay now collects and remits on your behalf. In its current form, I don't think you even really see it, only the buyer does. (this was probably done under immense political pressure)

Where I'm not sure if/when eBay does collect the "state/provincial" tax does that include any applicable duties/tariffs that CBSA / ICE federally collect when you transit internationally? I feel like the GSP for the US sellers does this, but even if eBay collects the HST on something I buy internationally, I don't know if they also cover the tariff on said item, if a tariff exists.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

eBay doesn't and isn't required to collect tax from Canadian buyers. If the gsp is used the import fees do include tax, duty etc but that money goes to Pitney Bowes who remit a [portion of it to the government.

Some US states require marketplaces such as eBay to collect state tax and some countries are now requiring them to collect VAT. But that hasn't come to Canada yet.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

The problems are on both sides of the border. I mailed a package from Alberta on Dec. 15th.  It didn't leave Canada until Jan. 12..it was stuck in Richmond until then.  It was delivered in California on Jan. 15 so in this case it was Canada Post that caused the delay.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@google64 

would the international buyer prefer to always pay duties (plus brokerage) or pay duties 10% of the time.

For US customers, the ones who are most sensitive to taxation, there is little problem since they have an $800USD duty free allowance. Most states now have had an Internet* Sales Tax for about a year and if they have done any buying online anywhere they have probably already seen it. (Won't stop some from being bullies about it though.)

For overseas customers, they are more likely to be used to paying duty and VAT (taxes) and less likely to complain. We can add a note to our Descriptions about it.

This is the boilerplate that eBay once provided.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

Paying duty 10% of the time was Canadian -specific.

Because our duty free (and tax free) allowance was ridiculously low ($20Cdn), CBSA took the sensible if mildly illegal step of not bothering to assess small packages valued under ~$100 that were being delivered by Canada Post-- well paid government employees so the assessment would cost more in labour than could possibly be collected.

Since July 1, 2020, the duty free has risen to $150 and the tax free to $40. We've seen few complaints about collection of duty since then.

If you ship courier you're basically rolling your own version of the GSP,

Not quite.

The GSP is a freight forwarder. Couriers are equivalent to Canada Post.

The GSP equivalent would be a forwarder like chitchatexpress which for a small fee carries Canadian shipments across the border and puts them in the USPS mailstream.

The special part of GSP for buyers is that they collect import fees before the seller ships which GSP uses to pay Canadian duty and taxes.  Couriers don't do that.

*Really just the state sales taxes collected by eBay. The seller does not deal with those, but we are charged 2.9% of the tax as a processing fee by Paypal or by Managed Payments.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

If you ship courier you're basically rolling your own version of the GSP,

Not quite.

The GSP is a freight forwarder. Couriers are equivalent to Canada Post.

The GSP equivalent would be a forwarder like chitchatexpress which for a small fee carries Canadian shipments across the border and puts them in the USPS mailstream.

The special part of GSP for buyers is that they collect import fees before the seller ships which GSP uses to pay Canadian duty and taxes.  Couriers don't do that.

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear in my analogy. While they are completely different things, the net effect would be the odds of paying duties, which was more of my focus.

In the last while I've sold mostly $1000+ items. If you ship this through post, they may or may not catch it for duties. If I were to ship it via UPS, they will, beyond any doubt, pay the duties when they get it (plus brokerage).

Now at the end of the day, legally they were supposed to pay those duties anyways, but given the choice as I do, I prefer non-GSP over GSP as an option.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I live in Ontario, and all our mail goes through processing at the Mississauga depot, they are now saying they have about 150 plus workers testing positive today, that will certainly be causing delays in Canada.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Sent an order out small packet US air Dec 16, 2020. eBay expected delivery Jan 2, 2021. As per specifics it was showing 6 to 22 business days. Math does not sound entirely hunky dory. Crickets for scans. Customer thankfully is being very patient. Has a few other items that are very late. Is eBay going to be updating the system as these wayyyy lates keep happening from the Xmas mess? Are customers just going to open INR's as per their whims and ebay is going to force refunds or will when a case is opened is it going to get an appropriate extension. Would be nice if there was a fail safe for rebilling a customer if they receive after being refunded!!! Sellers have zippo for control once a package is in the postal services hands and parcels are not getting scanned in any way shape or form even when they should be.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

eBay doesn't and isn't required to collect tax from Canadian buyers. If the gsp is used the import fees do include tax, duty etc but that money goes to Pitney Bowes who remit a portion of it to the government.

More to the point, the buyer technically isn't paying taxes and duty on a GSP-forwarded item.  PitneyBowes pays those (and is on record as having paid those) fees.  The "import charges" are how the buyers pay PitneyBowes back.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@google64 

Where I'm not sure if/when eBay does collect the "state/provincial" tax does that include any applicable duties/tariffs that CBSA / ICE federally collect when you transit internationally? I feel like the GSP for the US sellers does this, but even if eBay collects the HST on something I buy internationally, I don't know if they also cover the tariff on said item, if a tariff exists.

YES.

If you are buying from the USA or the UK, the GSP will pay Canadian duty and sales taxes from the import fees they charge you when you pay.

If you are buying from the USA or overseas where GSP is not used, the carrier (Canada Post, UPS, etc) which charge the Canadian duty and sales taxes plus a service fee /brokerage fee before you are given the parcel.

The duty is based on where the product was made, not where it was purchased. Canada has about 114 FreeTrade Agreements at the moment, with the big ones being NAFTA2, TTP2, and CETA. We currently have a $150 duty free allowance.

Sales taxes are charged whether there is duty or not. We have a $40 tax free allowance.

Within Canada only sellers registered to collect sales taxes are allowed to collect sales taxes. A $30,000 annual income is batted around a bit as the lowest amount allowed before registration is required.

And it is the seller who collects and remits those taxes, not eBay.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@google64 

YES.

If you are buying from the USA or the UK, the GSP will pay Canadian duty and sales taxes from the import fees they charge you when you pay.

If you are buying from the USA or overseas where GSP is not used, the carrier (Canada Post, UPS, etc) which charge the Canadian duty and sales taxes plus a service fee /brokerage fee before you are given the parcel.

The duty is based on where the product was made, not where it was purchased. Canada has about 114 FreeTrade Agreements at the moment, with the big ones being NAFTA2, TTP2, and CETA. We currently have a $150 duty free allowance.

Sales taxes are charged whether there is duty or not. We have a $40 tax free allowance.

Within Canada only sellers registered to collect sales taxes are allowed to collect sales taxes. A $30,000 annual income is batted around a bit as the lowest amount allowed before registration is required.

And it is the seller who collects and remits those taxes, not eBay.

First paragraph I was referring to when eBay collects sales tax on a non GSP sale. I haven't bought much recently so I can't really say if I've been charged HST (ON) from a direct import or domestic non GSP sale. I've seen them collect it on my sales to US (WA) and Australia.

Basically the scenario I'm imagining is, eBay docks the tax, item arrives, and you get nailed again for tax and duties via CBSA. Now if they don't collect sales tax on behalf of the CRA then there's no double issue north of the border. Checking my last few domestic sales I don't see any forced HST on the buyer.

So at the end of the day, it would be more of the scenario of, you sell something to someone in WA, they pre-pay the sales tax, and then get nailed again for duties and sales tax from ICE.

e.g.

Shipping
$150.00
Tax
$110.00
Purchase total
$1,209.99
Fee
-negative $47.49
Tax collected by eBay
-negative $110.00
Total
$1,052.50

For HST/GST it's $30,000 of revenue in four consecutive quarters when it becomes mandatory. You can enroll for HST at any time. You used to be liable for an entire quarter worth of back HST if you exceeded that amount during a quarter, even if you didn't charge it. This changed in the last couple of years.

Only reason I highlight revenue is the confused CERB people, less ambiguous as income.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Basically the scenario I'm imagining is, eBay docks the tax, item arrives, and you get nailed again for tax and duties via CBSA. Now if they don't collect sales tax on behalf of the CRA then there's no double issue north of the border. Checking my last few domestic sales I don't see any forced HST on the buyer.

First eBay doesn't dock/collect the tax and duty.

The GSP collects import fees and pays the Canadian government. When the GSP shipment arrives in Canada those are already marked as paid.

The package doesn't come in individually, btw, what CBSA sees is a locked container and a manifest showing contents and payment. (They can open it if they want. But that's unlikely.)

item arrives, and you get nailed again for tax and duties via CBSA.

That does happen from time to time, but usually when the SELLER did not follow instructions and, rather than shipping to the GSP plant, somehow shipped directly to the buyer via USPS/Canada Post. (or occasionally by a courier like UPS).

So the buyer had paid GSP the import fees.

But the seller did not send to the GSP.

CBSA has the single package arrive in Canada, assesses duty and sales tax and Canada Post collects those before handing over the package.

Not the fault of the GSP . Nothing to do with eBay. The SELLER made the error.

Checking my last few domestic sales I don't see any forced HST on the buyer.

I say 'sales taxes' on purpose, because we don't have HST in BC, and AB has only GST.

Unless you are registered to collect HST in Ontario and the other HST provinces, you wouldn't.

Only if you are registered, and then you add those taxes to your invoice to your customer and you remit the money you receive.

You don't collect taxes you cannot remit.  The Revenue get testy about that.

EBay does not collect Canadian sales taxes.

EBay does, in fact is required, to collect US state sales taxes. You may see those on your American customer's PP/MP invoice. Both will charge you, the seller, 3.7% of that American state sales tax as part of the processing fee on the entire customer payment including product, shipping and those taxes that you never touch.

so I can't really say if I've been charged HST (ON) from a direct import or domestic non GSP sale.

If your purchase is valued under $150Cdn, you will not pay any duty.  If it is more the duty will be assessed by CBSA at the border and collected by Canada Post, who will add $9.95 as a service charge.

If your purchase is valued over $40, you will be charged Canadian sales taxes (HST in Ontario) on the same basis. Including the $9.95 service charge.
You will be charged sales tax even if the import is duty free.

Shall we complicate matters?

Those charges are as of July 1, 2020.

Before that the allowance was a mere $20 for both duty and tax.

But CBSA decided that it would cost more to assess and collect the pennies for a $20.01 import than would be collected, so their practice was to ignore low value imports.

And since the cross-border shopper could drive home with $200 worth of stuff in her car, most mail order/ online shoppers did not realize how low the actual allowance was.

Until she bought from a company that used UPS or another private courier that legally had to charge every penny the law required.

Archived somewhere is a thread of complaints about that which is some 5000 posts long and was active for nearly 10 years.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Looks like the union over reacted and  completely shut down incoming US  packages.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

First eBay doesn't dock/collect the tax and duty.
The GSP collects import fees and pays the Canadian government. When the GSP shipment arrives in Canada those are already marked as paid.
The package doesn't come in individually, btw, what CBSA sees is a locked container and a manifest showing contents and payment. (They can open it if they want. But that's unlikely.)
item arrives, and you get nailed again for tax and duties via CBSA.
That does happen from time to time, but usually when the SELLER did not follow instructions and, rather than shipping to the GSP plant, somehow shipped directly to the buyer via USPS/Canada Post. (or occasionally by a courier like UPS).
So the buyer had paid GSP the import fees.
But the seller did not send to the GSP.
CBSA has the single package arrive in Canada, assesses duty and sales tax and Canada Post collects those before handing over the package.
Not the fault of the GSP . Nothing to do with eBay. The SELLER made the error.

Take the paragraphs within context of what I'm talking about - non GSP sales. Followed by my next paragraph where I mention in the case where if they do not do this in Canada my thoughts are now on the reversal into the US.

Yes, you're correct, BC rescinded the HST and AB doesn't have PST. However technically depending on the jurisdiction the rule is now if you do business in certain provinces, you are  supposed to open a relevant PST # in that province provided you meet certain criteria. Which is basically what I'm assuming has happened down south. I feel like to simplify this, eBay just collects the tax on behalf of the registered states, assuming most sellers don't want to register a tax account in another state for a one off-sale on eBay.

Only if you are registered, and then you add those taxes to your invoice to your customer and you remit the money you receive.
You don't collect taxes you cannot remit. The Revenue get testy about that.

You are 100% correct. You're also supposed to have the RN# on any invoice/receipt over $30 in which you're charging HST. (thought this used to be $100 but can't reference it)

If your purchase is valued under $150Cdn, you will not pay any duty.  If it is more the duty will be assessed by CBSA at the border and collected by Canada Post, who will add $9.95 as a service charge.

If your purchase is valued over $40, you will be charged Canadian sales taxes (HST in Ontario) on the same basis. Including the $9.95 service charge.
You will be charged sales tax even if the import is duty free.

Good to know the value thresholds. Which is what led me to the curious reversal process into the states. I suppose the assumption is Federal ICE CBP doesn't care about state taxes so they won't double whammy anyone after eBay has already charged it. Meaning the buyer is still liable to any tariffs or duties, if they're applicable.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

You keep switching from buyer to seller and from the US taxes and Canadian taxes.

If you are a US buyer, you will be billed for state taxes by eBay. Where your seller resides or ships from is irrelevant.

If you are a Canadian buying from a Canadian seller, you will be billed for federal and/or provincial taxes by the Canadian seller , but only if the seller is registered to collect them.

If you are a Canadian importing goods, CBSA will charge applicable duty and taxes and these will be handled by the carrier. These may be paid from fees paid in advance if the carrier is  GSP, or on delivery if USPS/Canada Post or a private courier is the carrier.

If you are a Canadian seller, US state taxes will appear on the eBay invoice your customer pays, but you don't do anything about that, it's handled by eBay.

If you are a US seller..... but you aren't so that is irrelevant to us as Canadians.

If you are a Canadian seller, and registered to remit taxes, you will bill your Canadian customers appropriately and eBay has a place on the Sell Your Item form for that.

If you are a Canadian seller and not registered to remit taxes, you don't do anything.

What is ICE that you keep referring to- the thugs who put babies in cages? What does that have to do with taxes?

Message 20 of 25
latest reply