Selling on ebay.com in USD with Managed Payments for Canadian sellers

Hello,

Could anyone clarify if Canadian sellers can still list on ebay.com in USD after we switch to MP?

Can we receive payout in USD either to US bank or Canadian bank with USD account?

Can we even list on ebay.com with MP or are we going to be limited to ebay.ca with listing in CAD?

What should sellers do who have a bunch of listings on ebay.com listed in USD?

I did call ebay support seeking answers to these questions and reply I received was rather vague, but overall it seems like we may be limited to selling on ebay.ca in CAD only after the switch is made to managed payments.

Maybe Tyler@ebay could provide more information on this topic.

Thanks

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Selling on ebay.com in USD with Managed Payments for Canadian sellers

hold.your.own.media Can you still get discounted shipping labels through eBay, or you use DYK with Shippo? As I know shippo doesn't have the media label option. Thank you.

Message 61 of 105
latest reply

I'm also in this boat. It appears though that I have to pick one currency or the other? Is this correct? How do I receive CAD listings (.ca) to my CAD accounts, and USD listings (.com) to my USD account? Despite being based in Canada, I frequentlyl deal with both currencies, so to be entirely restricted to one or the other doesn't work. 

Message 62 of 105
latest reply

Managed Payments only allows Canadian bank accounts.

Managed Payments only allows ONE bank account.

Managed Paymensts allows that bank account to be in loonies OR in USD.

You cannot attach an American bank account.

You cannot attach multiple bank accounts.

If you attach a bank account in loonies your USD * payments will be converted before they are deposited.

If you attach a bank account in USD your loonie * payments will be converted to USD before they are deposited.

*or euro, or Australian Dollar, or sterling

Message 63 of 105
latest reply

@matdy_3275 wrote:

I'm also in this boat. It appears though that I have to pick one currency or the other? Is this correct? How do I receive CAD listings (.ca) to my CAD accounts, and USD listings (.com) to my USD account? Despite being based in Canada, I frequentlyl deal with both currencies, so to be entirely restricted to one or the other doesn't work. 

The only way to do that is to sell with 2 ID's and have a $C bank account for the one ID and a $US account for the other account.

Or, if you want to just use one ID and sell on both sites, sales from one of the sites will be converted to your payout currency and a 3% conversion charge will be added on.

Message 64 of 105
latest reply

@konera_shop 

Canada Post does not have a Media Mail service.

Are you using a forwarder like chitchatexpress to carry your shipments to a USPS office?

Message 65 of 105
latest reply

I'm not one to complain about much or write replies.  But I'm not sure the folks at eBay canada are doing anything over in those offices to support Can sellers - ah the fiasco Global shipping program? Now MP

I'm shocked for starters you will eliminate active sellers whom contribute to bottom line if they don't move off Paypal, wow.  The rollout is so vauge too, howeever that useless video did say "will support International selling" so I'm assuming that .ca can still sell on .com and accept USD.

I called my bank today (TD) they informed me CND checking accounts will accept the US dollar payments from eBAY MP, however they will convert it using thier spread - not great.    I did open a US dollar checking  account in my TD branch today so I will attempt to link it tonight.  I am hoping this works, and continue to list, sell, and be paid in USD. 

eBay canada I'm not one to complain but get your act together and make the app easier like it used to be, comp is here, adoption isnt (yet)

Message 66 of 105
latest reply

Update - Open a USD dollar account at your bank.   Go to the MP flow, pick USD payments, then you can link your account, the setup even picked the US account none of the others

Message 67 of 105
latest reply

get an ITIN and go back to selling on .com and using your NY bank , no problem.   

or, wait........ebay made a big mistake with MP.      They should have had foreign sellers submit a W8-BEN, this how AZ does it.    I think they will make this change soon....but Ebay is soooo slow doing stuff

Message 68 of 105
latest reply

@laptops4sale2 wrote:

Hello,

Could anyone clarify if Canadian sellers can still list on ebay.com in USD after we switch to MP?

Can we receive payout in USD either to US bank or Canadian bank with USD account?

Can we even list on ebay.com with MP or are we going to be limited to ebay.ca with listing in CAD?

What should sellers do who have a bunch of listings on ebay.com listed in USD?

I did call ebay support seeking answers to these questions and reply I received was rather vague, but overall it seems like we may be limited to selling on ebay.ca in CAD only after the switch is made to managed payments.

Maybe Tyler@ebay could provide more information on this topic.

Thanks

Did you ever get a response to your question?    That's my concern as well.

Message 69 of 105
latest reply

The answers to the first two questions are, “Yes,” “to a Canadian USD account or a to a $CDN chequing account with the payout being converted to CDN$.”
Message 70 of 105
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
The answers to the first two questions are, “Yes,” “to a Canadian USD account or a to a $CDN chequing account with the payout being converted to CDN$.”

The first question is:   """Could anyone clarify if Canadian sellers can still list on ebay.com in USD after we switch to MP?"""

Are you saying that the answer to that question is 'yes."

I assume that means that Canadian sellers can still have .com stores once signed onto managed payments?

Message 71 of 105
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

There’s nothing to stop a Canadian seller from having a store on the .com site under Managed Payments. Some sellers have pointed out, though, that it costs more to have a store on the .com site than on .ca.

Message 72 of 105
latest reply

Yes you can list on .com with MP.  If your payouts are in $C any sales on .com will  be converted to $C before funds are deposited.  If your payout is in $US then it will be deposited to your Canadian bank $US account.  

Your store can be on .com or .ca but as martonom mentioned it makes more sense to have a store registered on .ca as you can still list on .com

Does that answer your question?  

Message 73 of 105
latest reply

I've just gone thought this. 

My ebay.ca account avionsunantiques sells mostly in $US.

I just got put on managed payments.

So far it is way more expensive that the old way taking payments via Paypal.

The real slap in the face is that as you know, in some US states, ebay has to collect taxes.     Thats fine.   Money we never see.

BUT - now ebay is charging us their 12.3% on this tax money.     I just looked at one of my sales.     Ebay's total fee was about 14.5% because they are charging me 12.3% on some tax that is collected by Ebay, and paid to some US state.     Money that never comes anywhere near me.    

Ebay must be taking in billions this way.

That is a blatant scam.

Hopefully this will be grounds for a massivel class action suit down the road, and we will get this money back.

Message 74 of 105
latest reply

support Can sellers - ah the fiasco Global shipping program?

The Global Shipping Program is a Seller Protection policy that is only open to US and UK sellers. It has nothing to do with Canadian sellers.

While the Canadian duty free and tax free allowances were fixed at $20Cdn, Canadian buyers were very upset at being charged duty and taxes, since CBSA was waiving those on low value postal imports for decades.

But GSP (like UPS* and FedEx ,etc) are private and cannot ignore the legalities.

Now that the new NAFTA is in place, our duty free allowance has risen to $150 and our tax free allowance to $40, for the USA only, and most of the complaints about the GSP can be folded in to the same box as complaints about slow delivery during COVID.

*Somewhere in the Archive is a 5000+ howl of posts about UPS and its "criminal" "gouging" and "greed".

Message 75 of 105
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

There’s nothing to stop a Canadian seller from having a store on the .com site under Managed Payments. Some sellers have pointed out, though, that it costs more to have a store on the .com site than on .ca.

I'm just not sure if there is a difference in how items show up in the search.    Most of my customers are American and then overseas.  There must be a reason why so many Canadian sellers have .com rather .ca stores. No?

Message 76 of 105
latest reply

This has been discussed a fair bit recently alongside the changeover to Managed Payments. My thoughts are that the only noteworthy reason to list on the .com site is to use US dollars as the listing currency to possibly make listings more attractive to US buyers and other international buyers more familiar with the US dollar than the loonie.

I don’t think listing on the .com site gives much (if any) of a leg up to a listing’s prominence in keyword search results. Also consider that another project eBay has on the go right now is to improve category consistency from portal to portal which should (if the project is successful) level the playing field for item searches involving listings from various eBay portals.

Message 77 of 105
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

This has been discussed a fair bit recently alongside the changeover to Managed Payments. My thoughts are that the only noteworthy reason to list on the .com site is to use US dollars as the listing currency to possibly make listings more attractive to US buyers and other international buyers more familiar with the US dollar than the loonie.

Well that's a biggee for me.

Does anyone know off hand how much less expensvie it is to have a store on .ca vs. .com  ?

Message 78 of 105
latest reply

I'm just curious if we are all referring to the same thing.    Are you saying/asking that if both you and I listed the same items on .com that your search visibility might be better because you have a .com store and I have a .ca store?

Or are you just referring to listing on .com vs listing on .ca?

Sellers list on .com because the majority of their buyers may be in the US and the seller believes they are more likely to buy from someone listing in $US.  That doesn't mean that those sellers have .com stores...I really think that most Canadians who list in .com have a You think that having a .com store gives you better visibility than I would have listing on .com but with a .ca store?  I doubt that anyone can give you a definitive answer but I really don't think it makes much or any difference. Search is based on multi issues. 

Message 79 of 105
latest reply

You'll have to figure out the price difference based on the level of store, your payout currency and the value of each dollar on that particular day.    Just based on made up numbers...If you and I both have a  basic store for $20 each, your .com store would cost you $70US and my .ca store would cost me $70C.   If the US$ was worth about 20% more than the $C, you would be paying quite a bit more over the year.

Message 80 of 105
latest reply