Selling/reselling eBay store coupon/supplies

I have store coupons for a 3rd quarters in a row now. They have nothing useful for me. I took polymailers everytime because this is all they have that i could maybe use, but i'm just stacking them. I used like 5-10 max on 200 in 6 months. I'm getting in a dumb situation where i have a $35 discount, but because of taxes, it cost money to use it. My options are either to void a $35 discount, or pay for something at good price but that i don't need and won't use.

My question is. Is is against rules to

A. sell the coupon to someone

B. buy and resell the supplies

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I have store coupons for a 3rd quarters in a row now. They have nothing useful for me. I took polymailers everytime because this is all they have that i could maybe use, but i'm just stacking them. I used like 5-10 max on 200 in 6 months. I'm getting in a dumb situation where i have a $35 discount, but because of taxes, it cost money to use it. My options are either to void a $35 discount, or pay for something at good price but that i don't need and won't use.

My question is. Is is against rules to

A. sell the coupon to someone

B. buy and resell the supplies

Total agreement on lack of an assortment. When I put that question to them(again) their response below. We (Canadian sellers) may need a bit of a group effort to have them increase the variety.  When you compare to the US location there are in the neighbourhood of 80 to 90 items depending on time of year. My suggestion would be bring back the small sample pack and smaller quantities of the cb mailers.

We continually review and refine our supplies offerings to ensure we’re providing the right assortment at the right prices. If there are certain items you were interested in kindly let us know and we will speak with our marketing manager to see if it would be possible to add them at some point in the future.

As for buying and reselling, that would be entirely your call. You would be doing so at a loss because whoever you sell to you would either need to attach shipping or build in to your prices. With a quick search you will see there are a number of sellers reselling. As a side suggestion, you may know a local seller without a store that you could purchase for and just have shipped to your address. Call it your good deed for the quarter. 🙂

-Lotz

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

B

Lots of Sellers are reselling useless eBay-branded stuff, I also have the same issue when I had a Premium Store I stockpiled tons of stuff, still using it...

So, much so it's in my storage room in the basement.

A - Not so sure about that option

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I agree, we need smaller quantities, some of us don't have the amount of sales that warrent paying the extra cost to purchase 100 of each size. I haven't used my coupon for several months.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

General suggestion...

If someone doesn't want to use their coupon during a quarter, it is possible to order for another seller and then before putting in the coupon, change the name and address to a seller who may be able to use them.  The original coupon holder woukd have to pay tax on the order but the other seller could send the money fro that via PP.  Just a suggestion rather than have the coupon go unused.  I know at least one seller who has done this so i5 does work.

I do see sellers selling them too though the price of shipping here makes that more difficult. 

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I've put some eBay  supplies up, but even if the items were free, the shipping is too high to be of interest.

OTOH, I get coupons for stuff in my email all the time, which I almost never use.

Dog food? Diapers? Vegan butter*? TidePods?

They aren't real money.

Just a discount we can use or not use as we wish.

I would like to have a box about  8x12x3" for shipping books.

And while I appreciate the branding, on high value shipments  I put stickers or labels over all the words on the envelope. I'm not sure I want to advertise to porch pirates.

* It's dmn  margarine! Call it by its name!

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

And while I appreciate the branding, on high value shipments  I put stickers or labels over all the words on the envelope. I'm not sure I want to advertise to porch pirates.

My thoughts exactly .... 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I've put some eBay  supplies up, but even if the items were free, the shipping is too high to be of interest.

I would like to have a box about  8x12x3" for shipping books.

They had the 12.5 x 12.5" variable depth ones last quarter. They're great for books! I just went to pick some more up. Looks like they're no longer offered 😞

I might hold onto the coupons for awhile and see if the selection improves.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

* It's dmn  margarine! Call it by its name!

Of course it is! Wish I had realized that! DS and partner won't eat anything but real butter (they say margarine is not healthy) but I never have any butter in the house as I am lactose intolerant. I'll just buy some vegan butter and I bet they will eat that, they'll think it's health food!

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Okay, that's weird. If I go through my purchase history to the record boxes, I can go to the item which still shows the listing as being active with stock available, is sold by the shipping supplies store, but it doesn't show in the shipping supplies store. I wonder if it's somehow intentional or if this is another random bug (and maybe why sales are extra slow for a lot of people right now).

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

In 18 years of selling I think I have only used my eBay supplies coupon once. Cheaper to buy locally from a packaging company plus there is never anything that I can really use. I mostly use the No.1 size bubble envelopes or the 7.5" x 10.5" brown manila envelopes.

The book size pkg is a good idea though!

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@flipistics send a note to the store, I've done this and they've re-established one, or brought it back. In my experience they are quick and positive communicators. Takes only a second to ask them can't hurt to try!

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Follow up from seller on suggestions for additional products:

Thank you for the quick reply and additional details. As such, a note will be sent to our marketing manager shortly to see if it would be possible to expand the list of products to include the supplies sample pack (small lot), cardboard mailers in lower quantities, and bundles of 50 stickers/50 thank you cards as you mentioned at some point in the future.

If anyone has additional suggestions please forward them to the supplier. You know what they say about strength in numbers? Never hurts!!!

-Lotz

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

@flipistics send a note to the store, I've done this and they've re-established one, or brought it back. In my experience they are quick and positive communicators. Takes only a second to ask them can't hurt to try!

Yeah, thanks. I might do that. I'm more interested in why it isn't showing in the store though, given that as far as I can tell the listing is active with stock available. Maybe there's some setting I've forgotten about somewhere to do that? If it's a bug, it's definitely one that needs to be reported and fixed as it's probably affecting select items in all stores!

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Well that's interesting. I opened it up in a new incognito window and now it says that the listing was ended and is no longer available. They really need to hire a new team to write the website code.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

@flipistics  The last time something I wanted that used to be sold wasn't there I let them know and voila they put it back up again, they suffer the same constraints as us with the application, they had no idea it wasn't showing properly (ie at all). They are usually quite quick to respond, at least with a message, in my experience.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

They should create assorted lots of packaging for $35.00 exactly, it really is not a complicated thing to do...

Two different kinds of "Lots" because 100 of this or 100 of that is way too much of a single product. Why not do 50pcs/lot

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

They should create assorted lots of packaging for $35.00 exactly, it really is not a complicated thing to do...

Two different kinds of "Lots" because 100 of this or 100 of that is way too much of a single product. Why not do 50pcs/lot

I'd actually like to see some higher counts as well since a good portion of the cost is built-in shipping.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

I'd love to see some things like maybe 4x8 bubble mailers, perhaps some smaller stayflats for things like postcards and sports cards, maybe even a lettermail-compliant box. I see no reason they couldn't also offer other useful things like tape dispensers, box resizers, etc.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

In 18 years of selling I think I have only used my eBay supplies coupon once. Cheaper to buy locally from a packaging company plus there is never anything that I can really use. I mostly use the No.1 size bubble envelopes or the 7.5" x 10.5" brown manila envelopes.

The book size pkg is a good idea though!

Your comment suggests this complaint spans nearly two decades. Another way to look at it is every 3 months you have an opportunity to use the items for something else.  For example;

• The shipping tape is pretty good. You could donate it to a local food bank or mission for their  international shipping.
  • The poly mailers would be great for long term emergency food storage and/or emergency supplies. Also useful for dust free household storage and/or eBay inventory storage.  If the bags aren't considered "food safe" possibly a Zip Lock  inner liner would be good. 
  • Use the waterproof packaging with the bright colored logos in your onboard boat compartments if you have a boat, camp or have an RV.
  • If you don't need the mailers you might divide them up among your neighbors who would appreciate them
  • The boxes are faily durable and make stackable storeage for  media and book collections etc. Food banks and neighbors would take the extras.

It seems a shame to waste the advantage of the coupon. Possibly others could add their ideas on how to repurpose the limited selection. 

I previously suggested eBay could have some promo "swag" items IE: shirts or coffee mugs  as an alternative. 

Message 20 of 28
latest reply