Sending to a RR1?

I had a new buyer with an address RR1 Wymark Sask.  I emailed them if there was a box # and they haven't got back to me.   

I googled the address and: 

Wymark is a hamlet in Swift Current Rural Municipality No. 137, Saskatchewan, Canada. Listed as a designated place by Statistics Canada, the hamlet had a population of 144 in the Canada 2006 Census. The hamlet is located on Highway 628 about 2 km north of Highway 363, about 15 km south of Swift Current.

Demographics[edit]

In 2006, Wymark had a population of 144 living in 53 dwellings, a 2.7% decrease from 2001. The hamlet had a land area of 0.30 km2 (0.12 sq mi) and a population density of 480.8/km2 (1,245/sq mi).[6]

Now I don't live in a small town so I don't know how the the addresses in a small town  work.  With a population of 144, you might know most of the people but just a RR, will that work?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Sending to a RR1?

@musicyouneed wrote:

I had a new buyer with an address RR1 Wymark Sask.  I emailed them if there was a box # and they haven't got back to me.   

I googled the address and: 

Wymark is a hamlet in Swift Current Rural Municipality No. 137, Saskatchewan, Canada. Listed as a designated place by Statistics Canada, the hamlet had a population of 144 in the Canada 2006 Census. The hamlet is located on Highway 628 about 2 km north of Highway 363, about 15 km south of Swift Current.

Demographics[edit]

In 2006, Wymark had a population of 144 living in 53 dwellings, a 2.7% decrease from 2001. The hamlet had a land area of 0.30 km2 (0.12 sq mi) and a population density of 480.8/km2 (1,245/sq mi).[6]

Now I don't live in a small town so I don't know how the the addresses in a small town  work.  With a population of 144, you might know most of the people but just a RR, will that work?

Possibly an area that still has the old mailbox on the road and the driver knows all the residents kids and pet names. Or the alternative one of those green boxes where every picks up their mail. You could always confirm with the home number attached to the transaction details and they can update for future purchases. One other idea. If you paste the postal code in checker at CP it will give you the addresses that are attached. I've had RR's in the past for AB and MB and no issues.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

An RR ... Rural Route... in the address means the parcel will be delivered to a mailbox at the end of a driveway to the owner's residence.

With PO ... Post Office ... box number   the parcel will be held at a postal station in the town  of Wymark.

It was about 50 years ago that Canada Post started delivering mail to a mailbox at the end of a driveway of a rural residence....  a farm location....  That was for a farmer who was a relative of mine and located about 40 miles west of Winnipeg.  The mailbox was at the end of a quarter mile driveway... so they bought a scooter to go get the mail.

Before this mailbox.... they had to travel about 8 miles to a local town to pick up their mail.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

Just go to Canada Post - Find a Postal Code and type in the address you have. It will show you the correct address to send to. In this case, the address you were given is correct, for mailing by Canada Post.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

Cumos is correct, RR 1 refers to Rural Route #1, The mail "carrier" travels the route by car or van, pulls up close to each mailbox, and then leans out the window, flips the mailbox lid open, places the mail inside then closes the lid and raises the "you've got mail flag" ... and on to the next box on the route which may be the house next door or a farm several miles further along the road. A rural post office surrounded by more densely populated areas will have multiple rural routes ... RR 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. The rural route system was introduced over a 100 years ago, many little corner post offices were closed at that time.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

I searched the postal code and this is what it came out with, no RR1.  Just general delivery and PO boxes.

postal code.jpg

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

Having been born & raised in a rural community and having spent many many years living in rural communities in both MB and SK., I do know that any address with a R.R.# and/or PO box # will all have the same postal code as that code serves deliveries to postal boxes, general deliveries, rural mail boxes, etc. within that community and rural area.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

By using the address given and the postal code S0N 2Y0 for Wymark, all will be good (I spent many many years living in rural communities in both MB and SK.)

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

Since the introduction of the 911 emergency system each residence was assigned a number, that number can be added to a RR address but it's not necessary. There are strict regulations regarding rural route mailboxes. First among these is that a resident MUST always have their name on their box so the carrier knows who lives there. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

Your can also search for the postal code by entering the address given by the buyer.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

marnotom!
Community Member

When my parents first moved into their house lover fifty years ago, their name, an "RR" number plus the town name was all they needed to ensure that their mail reached their rural route mailbox, and this was in the days before postal codes.  The town was much larger than 144 people, too.

I lived in a small remote coastal village for several years with a population comparable to Wymark and for decades, most people who lived there just had their mail sent to "general delivery" and it reached them just fine.

I wouldn't sweat this.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

When I typed in RR 1 Wymark on the find a postal code site it showed the address as found and listed the postal code.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

Some areas, Canada and USA still have the green group lock boxes. Those are tied to RR's as well. Had an order a few years ago with a wacky address. Street view brought up the blurry box so the address was valid.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Sending to a RR1?

I've sold to rural parts in both Canada and the US before and it still brings a smile to face when I think of how the postman delivering mail is still the best event of the day. Hard to believe there are still farms that don't have or won't hook up internet.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply