Signing up for Managed Payment, SIN# why?

amcdc79
Community Member

I don't have a store and my sales are fairly low so I'm sure that I'll be among the last of the sellers asked to sign up. 

A buddy of mine who does have a store was asked, and along with his financial information, ebay asked for his Social Insurance Number. Why?

Does ebay consider us to be employees? If so, what benefits do they offer other than paying us.

If I were to refuse to give my SIN# would I be asked to leave?

Lastly, come July, will PayPal no longer be on ebay? 

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@amcdc79 wrote:

I don't have a store and my sales are fairly low so I'm sure that I'll be among the last of the sellers asked to sign up. 

A buddy of mine who does have a store was asked, and along with his financial information, ebay asked for his Social Insurance Number. Why?

Does ebay consider us to be employees? If so, what benefits do they offer other than paying us.

Hi @amcdc79 - no, you are not required to provide your SIN in order to enroll in payments. It is something that we ask for as an optional piece of information. Providing it allows us to more easily verify your identity, ensure compliance with applicable anti-money laundering and sanctions screening obligations. 

There are no ramifications for you or your account if you choose not to provide your SIN.

When it comes to PayPal - it will still be a method for buyers to pay for your items. Once in managed payments, however,  PayPal will not be a payout method for you. Instead you would receive funds to your chosen bank account. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

PayPal will still be here in July since Managed Payments is being gradually rolled out for Sellers. And even after MP has taken over everything, PP will still be available for Buyers.

SIN# -- since eBay's MP is not paying interest, there is no legal grounds for them to require your Social Insurance Number.

-..-

Message 2 of 82
latest reply

Most likely for same reason USA sellers are asked for SS# (for IRS when sellers meet the sales threshold ) so for Canada = Revenue Canada. Not sure what happens if a seller does not provide that.

PayPal will still be available for buyers to use to make their purchases.

Message 3 of 82
latest reply

The information for registration received by  me  indicated that the requirement for the Social Insurance Number was optional.

But... When I registered, my SIN was added during  the registration process.

Message 4 of 82
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The information for registration received by  me  indicated that the requirement for the Social Insurance Number was optional.

Any organization that forces me to enter a Canadian SIN to which they are not entitled gets

a generic fake (000000000).  Laws protecting SIN use in Canada are pretty strict.

-..-

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

Agreed! You don't even have to give your SIN for a credit card app!

I haven't received ANYTHING about managed payments. Do i have to be proactive about this so i don't get cut off at some point?
Message 6 of 82
latest reply

no worries if you have not been yet asked to join MP, rest assured the email will arrive at some point, as ALL sellers will get that notification.....

In the meantime have your plan of action in place so you will be ready to proceed...

"If you didn’t receive a notification, there’s no further action required. We’ll notify you once your account is eligible for managed payments."

Message 7 of 82
latest reply

It is illegal in Canada to require a SIN number for anything other than employment (as in employer) I believe.

That they are asking is a huge breach of etiquette. I can no longer sell on Etsy because I refused to send them my SIN# or email them a photo of my drivers license

Equifax had a huge breach of just these very bits of information. Credentials can be verified through my aligned bank account and verified PayPal account. I once had an eBay rep ask for suspicious amounts of personal data. When I pressed him about it he said because it was being entered into a third-party database to help identify and differentiate people with similar names. He said there was no record of me in the states so he was sending them my information for there would be one. Have the conversation on audio record somewhere. My best guess is Etsy is compiling and selling to third parties such as Equifax as well.

Message 8 of 82
latest reply

eBay needs this info for FINTRAC, payment processors are part of a group of companies (banks, Credit Unions, money transmitters etc.) that report certain transactions with respect to anti-money laundering laws.

I don't know for sure but if you have a Federal Business Number eBay would probably accept than in lieu of a SIN.

https://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intel/fintel-eng

https://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/reporting-declaration/info/re-ed-eng

https://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/msb-esm/intro-eng

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 82
latest reply

They wouldn't require the SIN though, they would just report the information based on your address and contact etc. SIN is illegal.

And thanks for the Fintrac sites. So that's where they process that

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

It is illegal in Canada to require a SIN number for anything other than employment (as in employer) I believe.

Not just employment. Bank accounts and investments that pay interest is another.

Social insurance number (SIN)

Your SIN is the number that identifies you for income tax purposes under section 237 of the Income Tax Act and is used for certain federal programs. You must give it to anyone who prepares information slips (such as T3, T4, or T5 slips) for you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Message 11 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@amcdc79 wrote:

Hi @amcdc79 - no, you are not required to provide your SIN in order to enroll in payments. It is something that we ask for as an optional piece of information. Providing it allows us to more easily verify your identity, ensure compliance with applicable anti-money laundering and sanctions screening obligations. 

There are no ramifications for you or your account if you choose not to provide your SIN.

When it comes to PayPal - it will still be a method for buyers to pay for your items. Once in managed payments, however,  PayPal will not be a payout method for you. Instead you would receive funds to your chosen bank account. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 82
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Hi @cumos55  - will you clarify this a bit for me? Were you told that it was required? Or did you provide it and now you see it listed on your account? If it's the latter you can go through and remove it via the Account tab of My eBay! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 82
latest reply

Adding the SIN to registration for Managed Payments was optional.... but It was added by me in relation to the part of registration dealing with the bank account...

This was my choice to complete the registration without any complications.....

Message 14 of 82
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Social insurance number (SIN)

Your SIN is the number that identifies you for income tax purposes under section 237 of the Income Tax Act and is used for certain federal programs. You must give it to anyone who prepares information slips (such as T3, T4, or T5 slips) for you.

EBay doesn't prepare any of those slips, so I don't understand why they ask for it...

Message 15 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

I don't understand this statement... if the buyer pays by PayPal, I won't get my money in PP?

Message 16 of 82
latest reply

well, ah, ebay won't  explain the reason my account got restricted. so one of the requirement to unrestrict is to send government-issued photo ID.  Paypal does it too.  the reason being if you signed on without using a legal name, which they happen not to mention on the creation page, the same with ebay, [dumbasses], total lockdown except for doing refunds.  

Are you aware of the rampant lockdowns Paypal have done?  it'll take 6 months to get your money out but I doubt PP will make it easy.

i be that SIN is to send info on your income to CRA?

Message 17 of 82
latest reply

You're right about PayPal. I'm currently in lockdown and like you they want a government issued photo id and in addition on my banking side they are asking for my client card ID and password. They're not getting either of those from me. I've received 3 or 4 emails from them telling me I have to do this to remove limitations on my account. I can't close my account, remove my banking info, or remove my credit card info, and can't transfer my funds in my PayPal account to my bank account or use them to pay for an item off ebay. They've sent me a final notice e-mail a couple of days ago so I'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess. Not sure, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is all related to blockchain security and bitcoin mining where every single transaction can be verified.

Message 19 of 82
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:
... if the buyer pays by PayPal, I won't get my money in PP?

Under managed payments it does not matter what method the Buyer used to pay, the money all goes though the eBay payment system and is paid out to your bank account.

-..-

Message 20 of 82
latest reply