Signing up for Managed Payment, SIN# why?

amcdc79
Community Member

I don't have a store and my sales are fairly low so I'm sure that I'll be among the last of the sellers asked to sign up. 

A buddy of mine who does have a store was asked, and along with his financial information, ebay asked for his Social Insurance Number. Why?

Does ebay consider us to be employees? If so, what benefits do they offer other than paying us.

If I were to refuse to give my SIN# would I be asked to leave?

Lastly, come July, will PayPal no longer be on ebay? 

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:
... if the buyer pays by PayPal, I won't get my money in PP?

Under managed payments it does not matter what method the Buyer used to pay, the money all goes though the eBay payment system and is paid out to your bank account.

So eBay will take money in my PP account. Just like the Internet Sales Tax, the money will just "flow through" my account... Wow... totally unacceptable! Now I definitely know that when it becomes mandatory, I will leave eBay. It's sad though... I had a good 20 years. I guess the saying is true, all good things must come to an end. I really need to find someplace else to sell now. And fast.

Message 21 of 82
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:
... if the buyer pays by PayPal, I won't get my money in PP?

Under managed payments it does not matter what method the Buyer used to pay, the money all goes though the eBay payment system and is paid out to your bank account.

So eBay will take money in my PP account.

Under Managed Payments, if your Buyer paid using their PayPal account the money will have nothing to do with your PayPal account. 

Money goes from the Buyer through ebay MP to your bank account.

Message 22 of 82
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
Under Managed Payments, if your Buyer paid using their PayPal account the money will have nothing to do with your PayPal account. 

Money goes from the Buyer through ebay MP to your bank account.

But when a buyer sends money to a seller, it has to go to another user email address to work. Otherwise, it won't work. Does it mean the other user will be eBay? Will they modify all our listings to include *their* email address?

Message 23 of 82
latest reply

eBay reports all Canadian sellers with sales over $20,000   Canadian dollars,  from January 1 to December 31 of each year, to the Canada Revenue Agency.... required by law.

This reporting started several years back...

Inclusion of a SIN with this sales report helps the Canada Revenue Agency identify the person with this amount of sales on eBay.....

Message 24 of 82
latest reply

From what I remember, years ago ebay was asked to give a list of power sellers to the CRA and I think at that time a power seller had to sell a minimum of $12,000/year to qualify.   I understood that was a one time thing and I don’t recall ever hearing  that eBay reports some sellers sales each year. Where do you see that info?   

If they had been reporting it or were told to start doing do, I think that the social insurance numbers would be mandatory, not an option.

Message 25 of 82
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

eBay reports all Canadian sellers with sales over $20,000 from January 1 to December 31 of each year, to the Canada Revenue Agency.... required by law.

Not quite true.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) did take eBay to court to have it release records of Canadian eBay sellers.  The information included names, contact information, and sales records for sellers who, in any of the years 2006, 2007 or 2008 had more than $20,000 in sales.

The CRA also took PayPal to court to release records of Canadian PayPal Business accounts for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Transaction information plus

* The full name of every individual or corporation holding a business account that has a Canadian address;
* Date of birth of each individual holding a business account;
* The business name, if applicable;
* The telephone number(s) of the corporation or individual holding the business account, if available;
* Full address(es) of the corporation or individual holding the business account;
* E-mail address of the corporation or individual holding the business account;
* The social insurance number and/or business number of the corporation or individual holding the business account, if available.

The court order for paypal would be close to what eBay's Managed Payments may be required to provide to Revenue Canada.

The CRA can always request ebay info for specific Sellers they are auditing.

-..-

Message 26 of 82
latest reply

Thanks to all who posted in this thread, it's nice to hear that I am not alone in  wondering about some of the nuances when selling on ebay. The SIN question is good to get out of the way now, as many/most of us will be dealing with the change over to MP soon.

I truly hope that ebay has already worked the kinks out of the MP system, and is not using the early birds as guinea pigs. I really didn't mind PayPal as I could use the money there for paying other bills. Good luck to you all, may the transition go smoothly, accurately and beneficialy for all those involved.

Message 27 of 82
latest reply

eBay should not even be ASKING for SIN #s in Canada, voluntarily or not. By law, only employers are entitled to ask for it. It is used for social assistance benefits as well as income tax and related deductions. The only people who should be providing their SIN to eBay are eBay Canada employees.

Message 28 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebay   Told us a few months ago that providing our Social Insurance Number to the Managed Payments was voluntary.

Message 29 of 82
latest reply

It seems that it is now not optional, and it is a required field that cannot be skipped in the registration process for managed payments. I am not a store and I sell privately so if this required I will not be continuing selling on eBay.
Message 30 of 82
latest reply

Have you tried entering nine zeroes?
Message 31 of 82
latest reply

That's correct @femmefan1946, all information I have says that providing SIN is optional and that has not changed. 

I'll get this reported and let you know as I have updates.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 32 of 82
latest reply

@cryptogram wrote:
It seems that it is now not optional, and it is a required field that cannot be skipped in the registration process for managed payments. I am not a store and I sell privately so if this required I will not be continuing selling on eBay.

@cryptogram - can you please get me screenshots of what you're seeing? I've heard back from product and that isn't the experience you should be encountering at all. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 33 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@amcdc79 wrote:

I don't have a store and my sales are fairly low so I'm sure that I'll be among the last of the sellers asked to sign up. 

A buddy of mine who does have a store was asked, and along with his financial information, ebay asked for his Social Insurance Number. Why?

Does ebay consider us to be employees? If so, what benefits do they offer other than paying us.

If I were to refuse to give my SIN# would I be asked to leave?

Lastly, come July, will PayPal no longer be on ebay? 

Hi @amcdc79 - no, you are not required to provide your SIN in order to enroll in payments. It is something that we ask for as an optional piece of information. Providing it allows us to more easily verify your identity, ensure compliance with applicable anti-money laundering and sanctions screening obligations. 

There are no ramifications for you or your account if you choose not to provide your SIN.

When it comes to PayPal - it will still be a method for buyers to pay for your items. Once in managed payments, however,  PayPal will not be a payout method for you. Instead you would receive funds to your chosen bank account. 

Thanks!

You should not be asking for SIN numbers in the first place. It's highly unethical to ask for something so personal which can easily be used to commit fraud. Not to mention that your company cannot guarantee that a SIN number won't leak out or be stolen by an eBay employee.

Message 34 of 82
latest reply

Try ecrater. You have more control but you have to spend time promoting your store in order to get visitor traffic. Like linking from FB for example. The only charge about 3% per transaction + whatever PP or Stripe charges.
Message 35 of 82
latest reply

EBay is an American company.

Owned and run by Americans.

The people who compliment Brits on being able to speak English.

Who think they are the only democracy in the world.

Ever.

Who try to pay with US dollars -- in Japan.

Who .... oh, I'd just be getting rude because.... not all Americans.

Let's just say it's a leftover from the American sign up form and it's not getting through that the request is not even legal in Canada because we are a different country with different laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pASE_TgeVg8&t=18s

Message 36 of 82
latest reply

Not an intact leftover from the US.

In the US you MUST provide a SSN, EIN or ITIN

In Canada providing a SIN is optional

Private companies in Canada may ask for your SIN, it is not illegal. It would not be legal for them to REQUIRE a SIN in order to open an account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 37 of 82
latest reply

How do I remove my SIN from managed payments? I really don't want it on my account at this time. I didn't know it was optional but now I can't find where to delete it.

Message 38 of 82
latest reply

I doubt that you can.  It's probably safe enough since eBay collects (legally) US social numbers and probably has a system to keep them securely.

It would be better if the demand for a SIN were removed from the Canadian sign up form.

Message 39 of 82
latest reply

@toppropicks wrote:

How do I remove my SIN from managed payments? I really don't want it on my account at this time. I didn't know it was optional but now I can't find where to delete it.

Hi @toppropicks - I asked about this and was told you are able to remove your SIN by going to your account settings and choosing 'edit' in the personal information field. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 82
latest reply