Signing up for Managed Payment, SIN# why?

amcdc79
Community Member

I don't have a store and my sales are fairly low so I'm sure that I'll be among the last of the sellers asked to sign up. 

A buddy of mine who does have a store was asked, and along with his financial information, ebay asked for his Social Insurance Number. Why?

Does ebay consider us to be employees? If so, what benefits do they offer other than paying us.

If I were to refuse to give my SIN# would I be asked to leave?

Lastly, come July, will PayPal no longer be on ebay? 

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

tyler@ebay wrote:

@toppropicks wrote:

How do I remove my SIN from managed payments? I really don't want it on my account at this time. I didn't know it was optional but now I can't find where to delete it.

Hi @toppropicks - I asked about this and was told you are able to remove your SIN by going to your account settings and choosing 'edit' in the personal information field. 

I didn't personally care one way or another........

BUT

I can confirm that you can remove your SIN via this method (of course eBay may also keep it somewhere else that you can't access).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 41 of 82
latest reply

but what if the MP team is now demanding my SIN?  a minute ago it was optional, and apparently editable, but now on Feb 2 2021 it is manditory?  I can provide my chat logs from MP team to prove this unlawful request

Message 42 of 82
latest reply

feb 2 2021, ebay just started making canadian SIN number manditory. I have chat logs as proof

Message 43 of 82
latest reply

feb 2 2021, ebay just began making SIN number manditory.  have email from MP to prove.  

Message 44 of 82
latest reply

feb 2 2021, they have made it manditory.  completely illegal, and against privacy law

Message 45 of 82
latest reply

I understood it was optional as well, and it was listed as optional all over the place.  feb 2 2021 email from MP team, it is now manditory.  completely illegal

Message 46 of 82
latest reply

There's no need to copy and paste the same  reply to various users as we can all see y

our replies. 🙂    Customer service is not always accurate, especially with Canadian specific information.  I find it difficult to believe that there is a new 'rule' that it is required.

I see in another thread that you entered a fake SIN...I wonder if that is causing the problem. Since you did enter a fake number the system may be insisting that a correct one be entered??

Message 47 of 82
latest reply

Chat logs only prove that the customer rep said something.

Not that it is correct nor that it is enforceable.

You are right, the demand is illegal. It would not be illegal for you to give the SIN willingly, but MP cannot demand it.

I suspect some nitwit programmer was cleaning up MP forms so that they all agreed and provided the same information, without realizing that she had just contravened Canadian law.

Message 48 of 82
latest reply

@coldwintersport wrote:

I understood it was optional as well, and it was listed as optional all over the place.  feb 2 2021 email from MP team, it is now manditory.  completely illegal

Hi @coldwintersport - I'd like to reiterate that it is not required to provide your SIN when onboarding with managed payments. 

I have escalated this situation internally to ensure that proper coaching is given and that further investigation into what is holding up your onboarding is completed. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 49 of 82
latest reply

Hi.  Why is my date of birth required in order to set up managed payments?  As far as I can determine, PayPal doesn't require DOB.  Thanks.

Message 50 of 82
latest reply

Hello @tyler
The SIN is required, ebay is keep on asking it to me.

Message 51 of 82
latest reply

When going into account settings, the SIN # cannot be edited. Only by customer service.

My concern here is not to dodge CRA to avoid paying taxes but rather the safety of giving out the SIN #. I will still file my taxes even under the $20 K threshold. I am also an Amazon seller and they have not asked for this.

We have all seen how Equifax and CRA websites have been hacked. How do any sellers have 100% confidence their personal info such as a sin is not going to be stolen by a rogue employee of eBay or their database compromised in some way?

This makes me nervous.
Message 52 of 82
latest reply

I find it hilarious that Tyler@eBay keeps reassuring us that the SIN is optional and that it can be edited from account information... yet personal Seller experiences are that it is NOT optional, they keep getting asked for it, and it is NOT something that can be edited out from account info.

I doubt all the Sellers that have said it is NOT optional are wrong or have entered something incorrectly.

Obviously the system is messed up but dangerously so... given the possible ramifications of a stolen SIN number.

*lefthand@righthand-whatareyoudoing?*

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

@ut.babe wrote:

I find it hilarious that Tyler@eBay keeps reassuring us that the SIN is optional and that it can be edited from account information... yet personal Seller experiences are that it is NOT optional

This seller has experienced BOTH (multiple id's), one id registered WITH a SIN, one registered WITHOUT a SIN.

Just now I edited the profile that I did use my SIN and removed the number.

Other sellers "experiences" as posted on the boards are not very reliable. During the recent induction of many sellers into MP I've seen sellers claim "there is no way to do a partial refund" (false), "MP holds funds for weeks" (false), "fees are double what they were with PayPal" (false), "eBay can empty my bank account for no reason" (false) and I could go on and on.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 54 of 82
latest reply

After you click on the edit button, click on the letter “i”to the right and you will get this message regarding editing the sin #. I took a screenshot. You need to contact eBay customer service to make changes which doesn’t necessarily mean getting it deleted entirely. Not sure what this means if one person could edit theirs and someone else couldn’t .
Message 55 of 82
latest reply

I signed up for managed payments today because I was forced. The SIN was optional, but they word it as if it has some significant importance. That being said, I certainly did not enter it. There's no legal requirement and they shouldn't be asking in the first place. You only ever give your SIN to an employer or to a financial institution when you open a bank account or an investment account. That's because it's a legal requirement by the Federal government for tax purposes (and also for spying on what you've got).

Message 56 of 82
latest reply

Hi Tyler, 

I have the same question regarding SIN. I am in Canada therefore using ebay.ca and the interface was asking for my SIN. We are trained by our Government *never* to give this out to anyone other than our employer.

I slected *not* to include this info, but then the ebay interface is insisting on me providing my Passpord number. In the interest of prevention of identity theft this is information that I would also insist remain private between me and the Govenerment.

The eBay interface will not let me proceed past this page unless I provide one of these two VERY personal pieces of information.

After 15 years of happliy selling on eBay are my eBay days done now, or is there a way for me to keep selling on eBay?

Kind regards, 

Dylan

Message 57 of 82
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@toppropicks wrote:

How do I remove my SIN from managed payments? I really don't want it on my account at this time. I didn't know it was optional but now I can't find where to delete it.

Hi @toppropicks - I asked about this and was told you are able to remove your SIN by going to your account settings and choosing 'edit' in the personal information field. 

When I view my settings that field is not available. It may all depend on when you registered for MP and what form you happened on. As to finding/confirming what was filled in originally there appears to be no way to check. Under my personal information there was an option for Nationality. That one is also considered a no no. Suggested variation: "Are you authorized to work .....".

It's the similar conumdrum you receive when you attempt to update settings for paying store fees. It was giving the option to ADD a different way to pay those fees. When you clicked it only let you CHANGE. Add does note equal Change. Like the old joke. The door is ajar. The door is not a jar. It's a door. Pay attention.  🙂

-Lotz

Message 58 of 82
latest reply

Where did they get your SIN from?  Would it not be illegal for another company to provide it to them?

Message 59 of 82
latest reply

@mmorfesis wrote:

Where did they get your SIN from?  Would it not be illegal for another company to provide it to them?

See message 14 in this thread.

Message 60 of 82
latest reply