The new ebay.ca CDN$ policy established June 14 SUCKS!!!!!

I now can only show my selling price in cdn$ and most buyers will see that higher amount over the usd and be turned off. To make it worse I am paid in cdn$ then have to pay a fee to convert back to usd. The genius that thought this one up must be affiliated with Amazon.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Right on! There is a serious misunderstanding with international buyers on the exchange and the misconception is that the whole world revolves on the USD. This puts the .CA seller in a trap with higher pricing, conversion fees and obfuscated shipping fees on larger packages.

If I was just selling packages with a postage stamp in it, flat rate shipping would not be a problem. EBAY sure came up with a winner this time and I keep telling the EBAY GENIUSES, that if I have no sales, they get no FEES!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I took a look at your most recently listed item on eBay.ca;

VINTAGE X-RAY high voltage rectifier stick 150 KV GE SSR150 #3 Cdn$ 65.00

If I check the same listing on eBay.com I see a price of Cdn$ 65.00 (appx US$ 49.87)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-X-RAY-high-voltage-rectifier-stick-150-KV-GE-SSR150-3-/262488201311?...

What is the problem?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

" I am paid in cdn$ then have to pay a fee to convert back to usd."

????

If the listing is in Cdn$, the transaction through PayPal will be paid in Cdn$.  As long as you carry a Cdn$ balance at PayPal, the money will remain in Cdn$ and will NOT be converted.  You can withdraw to your Canadian bank account in Cdn$ without any currency conversion.  You save money that way.

As far as your fees to eBay are concerned, they will be charged in Cdn$.  If your eBay account is set-up with US$ as the "billing currency" the fees will be converted to US$ and must be paid in US$.  To solve that problem - and this subject has been mentioned almost daily on these boards - all you need to do is ask eBay to switch your billing currency to Cdn$ and provide eBay with a method of payment for your Cdn$ fees.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/billing-currency.html#how  (read very very carefully)

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

In his post:

"and most buyers will see that higher amount over the usd and be turned off."

THAT is the problem.

And its REAL.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I looked at your listing as well.  Can you tell me how you are able to show both the Canadian and US conversion in your listing?  I would love to only list in ebay.com but I don't know which shipping method to choose that will not require that I enter a zip code rather than a postal code.  I can see my business drying right up at this rate. 😞

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

If you use flat rate shipping you don't need a zip or postal code.

Because it is flat rate you don't have flexibility for parcels though, ie all of Canada or USA would be one rate, so you'd have to use an averaged price.

I sell only on .COM (always have) and I've always used flat rate shipping. Yes I'm a stamp guy but I ship boxes of all sizes right up to bankers boxes, all with flat rate shipping.....

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@gulcove wrote:

I looked at your listing as well.  Can you tell me how you are able to show both the Canadian and US conversion in your listing?  I would love to only list in ebay.com but I don't know which shipping method to choose that will not require that I enter a zip code rather than a postal code.  I can see my business drying right up at this rate. 😞

Here's a list of current shipping choices when listing on eBay.com for the Canadian seller (who ships from Canada)

-.-

To the USA
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

-.-

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you
select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international
shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the
potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.

-.-

A Canadian seller can still buy discounted shipping through PayPal from Canada Post.

-..-

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I don't know which shipping method to choose that will not require that I enter a zip code rather than a postal code.

As explained you use Flat Rate Shipping and the International Services.

When I get a sale from a dotCOM listing I go directly to the Paypal payment and print a (Canada Post) shipping label* from there. I get the same discounts (from 5% to 17% on some services) as you would if you were selling on eBay CANADA.

*Wellll, actually I use postage stamps most of the time, but when I do need a tracking number and I sold on dotCOM, that's how it's handled.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I did not think it was a problem listing in CDN funds & selling to US buyers but had my first issue tonight. Buyer purchased an item listed at $13.99 CDN. Got an email from her right away saying "your price is incorrect should be $10.73. Wants to cancel sale. Sent her a note explaining it was listed in CDN $ & that she would only have to pay the USD equivalent which was the lesser amount. Am waiting y

to hear if she wants to still cancel. This may be a bigger problem than I thought. The invoices will appear in CDN & conversion is not done to US till they pay. Lots of Americans just don't get the currency exchange thing and will think they are being charged too much. May cause some lost sales of at the least some cranky buyers.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Right on! There is a serious misunderstanding with international buyers on the exchange and the misconception is that the whole world revolves on the USD. This puts the .CA seller in a trap with higher pricing, conversion fees and obfuscated shipping fees on larger packages.

If I was just selling packages with a postage stamp in it, flat rate shipping would not be a problem. EBAY sure came up with a winner this time and I keep telling the EBAY GENIUSES, that if I have no sales, they get no FEES!

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I as well have confused US buyers trying to pay and think its way more when paying with paypal. 

ALSO LISTING ON .COM YOUR CANADIAN CUSTOMERS CANT SELECT LOCAL PICKUP! 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I totally agree, I have lost almost all my US buyers.  I used to sell over 50 - 60% to them now it is 5%.  What they see is this and they just hit the back button, I would too.  They see $10, it doesn't matter if the $7.67 is underneath, they just see the $10.  Now my listings are low $ amounts I would hate to see the differences in items that cost $100+.

alison.jpg

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

hello !

i guess i just join the club 😞 my situation - i am from canada, i upgraded to premium store for 1000 listing on ebay.COM(thats what i using for login), i want EVERYTHING to be listed in USD, but main front page of store still listed all prices in CAD, but if you click on item its showing in USD, 3 calls to ebay - same story, blablabla. Is anybody has solution for this? Thank you big time. if i wont solve it, i will have to cancel store i guess, because for americans to see 35% higher prices not going to work.

stores.ebay.com/vsaauto

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

i want EVERYTHING to be listed in USD,

If you list on dotCOM, you can list in USD.

If your buyer is looking at dotCOM she sees your price in USD.

If your buyer is looking at dotCA she sees your price in USD and in CDN

If your buyer is looking at dotDE she sees your price in USD and in euros.

If your buyer is looking at dotCOdotUK she sees your price in USA and in pounds.

If you list on dotCOM, you can list in USD.

When your buyer pays, she pays in USD.

No matter where she lives or what currency she uses in her daily life.

You are paid in USD.

When you move your payments to your (Canadian) bank, you pay a foreign exchange fee.

If you have an American bank, you can move your USD payments there without charge (until you move your money from your US bank to your Canadian bank).

And no, having a US dollar account in a Canadian bank is not the same as having a US bank account. You actually will pay more foreign exvhange if you do that.

When you are probably doing is looking at your listings, which were made on dotCOM in USD, from the dotCA site, and seeing what your Canadian customers would see.

Try this.

Switch the URL from ebay.ca to ebay.co.uk (the British site) and think about what you see there.

Sometimes it helps to get a third perspective.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

"premium store for 1000 listing on ebay.COM"

How much does eBay bill you every month for the store?  In US$ or Cdn$?

Except for the monthly fees charged for the store, it does not matter where you list your items.  You can list on any of eBay's twenty sites around the world in whatever currency each site uses (eBay.ca = Cdn$; eBay.com = US$; eBay.uk = Pound Sterling (£); eBay.de or eBay.fr = euros (€), etc....

Except for your monthly store fees, listing fees (and FVFs) are charged in the same currency as the listings.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

There is something odd here. When I look at your storefront or my storefront on .com, I see the prices in $US.  When I look at the visa auto storefront on .com, I see Canadian dollars until I click on an item.  I don't remember seeing that before.  I see the same thing regardless of my shipping location so it's likely that.Americans are also seeing the Canadian currency.

http://stores.ebay.com/vsaauto

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

"odd" does not describe it!  I would call it weird!

On ,com with a buyer with a US address and listings in US$ yet the store shows Cdn$.  Does not make sense.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Raphael explained once that a buyer sees the store in the currency of the buyer no matter what currency the seller lists In. When the buyer clicks on the listing it shows in the currency of the seller with a converted amount underneath.

Am I misunderstanding the topic posts and the is something wrong with the way this works now?
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

pocomocomputing wrote:
Raphael explained once that a buyer sees the store in the currency of the buyer no matter what currency the seller lists In. When the buyer clicks on the listing it shows in the currency of the seller with a converted amount underneath.

Am I misunderstanding the topic posts and the is something wrong with the way this works now?

He just replied to my question about it on the weekly board and apparently it shows like that on the front page of the  new stores only which is why my store and Pierre's store show in $US.  He said that I see it in $C and someone in the US would see it in $US.  Even when I look at it using a US zip it still shows me the storefront on $C.  I found a $US seller with a new store style and I also see his front page in Canadian $.  

http://stores.ebay.com/dentalsales4u

Personally, I find it confusing.  Why show me just Canadian on the storefront and in $US only in search view with 'see other listings'. Very inconsistent.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"odd" does not describe it!  I would call it weird!

On ,com with a buyer with a US address and listings in US$ yet the store shows Cdn$.  Does not make sense.

It gets even more bizarre:

When I click on your store right now, I see some listings in $CDN only, others (the ones with discounts) in $CDN with the $USD equivalent struck through below, and still others in $CDN with the original $CDN price struck through below.  I'll try to post some screen shots shortly. 

On 'pj's' storefront, all listings are displayed in $CDN only to me.  On vsauto's storefront I see nothing but $USD prices, no $CDN equivalents.  

Incidentally, none of the above storefronts is in the new format (I thought someone said that vsauto's was in the new style?).

My understanding from Raphael was that the site would recognize the actual location of the viewer and display prices in that viewer's native currency (what he called "smart display").  I am -- obviously -- in Canada, viewing from .ca at the moment.  Something else must be going on. 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply