Why is eBay adding shipping exclusuions to my listings?

I'm starting to get foreign buyers asked why they are excluded from my listings. I offer items Worldwide without ANY exclusions but I'm now seeing the following countries excluded on all my listings:

Excludes: India, Brazil, Israel, Philippines, Ukraine, Indonesia, Jamaica, Qatar, Singapore, Greece, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Chile, Cameroon, Colombia, Morocco, South Africa, Malaysia, Egypt, Latvia, Kuwait, Macedonia, Costa Rica

This was added in the last couple of days because as recent as last week I had orders from at least one of those countries.

Perhaps these are added because Canada Post is not accepting mail to these locations but not everyone ships via Canada Post. I don't and I don't need or want my listings blocked. I certainly don't want to have these exclusions added without any notice.

Can somebody explain what is going on? Why this action was taken and why it's being forced on me?

I understand there are risks with international shipping right now, I'm quite willing to accept those risks. This seems like ridiculous babysitting and I'm not a child!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Why is eBay adding shipping exclusuions to my listings?

Perhaps because there are now many countries on Canada Post's list where mail has been disrupted and/or put on hold:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page

it also may not be just Canada Post, other carriers may also be experiencing same disruptions and/or may not be shipping to these countries.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/about/news/important-updates.page?

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/coronavirus.html

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/ca-canada/MVP/downloads/COVID-19_Service_Impact_Apr_08.pdf

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Sure I get that but I do  not use Canada Post and I have been shipping to some of the countries included in their list.

Not only have I been shipping to these countries but my packages are being DELIVERED there.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

I am seeing this as well for the listings I have set up for worldwide.  Unlike you I don't find the idea to do this during covid-19 lockdowns as too much management.

But I do see some issues:

1. Why is there no ebay announcement regarding this?

2. How is the list of countries picked?

It is not using the Canada Post list because the number of blocked countries would be much much bigger.

I have the generic Economy Int'l Shipping as my choice, so no particular shipper involved, so how are these blocked countries picked.

3. Why is not an optional choice for Sellers?

4. What happens when we get back to the new "normal" -- will these blocked countries be properly unblocked from our listings?   If you already have country exclusions will those remain intact after it is over?

What ebay should have done is warn buyers for certain countries that imports to their country may be blocked and to ask the Seller if they are still shipping to their country before buying.

tyler@ebay 

-..-

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

Plus that list doesn't seem to correlate with the CP no service list. For example, Singapore and Greece do have service available.

edit...goes to the slow typist corner

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

I don't see any listings for you, are you still selling?

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

4. What happens when we get back to the new "normal" -- will these blocked countries be properly unblocked from our listings?   If you already have country exclusions will those remain intact after it is over?

Looks like I can answer myself for this one.

Doing an edit on one of my listing I can see that these blocked countries have not been added to the listing's exclusion list.  So this blockage can be removed by eBay without damaging what the Seller has set up for the listing.

-..-

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Yes still selling on other id's.

For whatever it's worth, after a 10 day dip in sales mid-March things have really come back strong. That includes things that I only list during promos, those items some of which I've been listing for years normally sell 2 - 5% during a promo but that has gone WAY up in the past 10 days.

I'm also getting orders from countries that I don't normally see with any regularity. Canadian orders are also up but that has been a trend for a couple of years.

I might end up having to do a bunch of refunds which will be unpleasant, it was a similar situation years ago when the Iceland volcano eruption led to chaos in Europe when air space was closed for 3 weeks, lost a few packages at that time but for the most part it was just delays.

I'm not a high volume seller anymore so it's hard to determine cause/effect but one thing is for sure. There are millions of people out there who are tied up at home that have plenty of money to spend on frivolous stuff, even more these days when they aren't "wasting" it at bars, restaurants, concerts, movies or B&M retailers.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Theirs always going to be a few rare birds in among the masses, ones might use something other than Canada post to India for example. Or surface freight to Botswana. 

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

I'm getting the opposite. Countries that have been on my blocked list for years are now making purchases. Have cancelled 3 "purchases" so far.
OOPS error when trying to send invoice.
Buyer gets OOPS error trying to pay first time.
Listing from draft folder 24 Min. to list 7 items, 18 min. to list 5 (used submit all not one by one)
Calculated shipping not working now
No customer service, many other businesses have staff working from home
Obviously IT is not working from home.
The list goes on. Don't have time or much patience left for this nonsense, broken down site. I still maintain that ebay's motto is if it's broke we don't fix it, proof is in the pudding.
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I see there is an announcement on .com from April 3rd

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Advising-you-about-shipments-during-COVID-19/ba-p/308179...

Partial quote:

What you need to know about shipping packages outside of the US.

There are service disruptions around the world as local shipping carriers decide to suspend in-country deliveries. Below we are listing the countries that are impacted. 

If buyers from one of these countries have already purchased an item from you but it has not yet been shipped, you will not be able to print a shipping label.  As of March 20, we will suspend label printing services for the listed countries. 

To deter future purchases, while they are not able to be delivered, buyers may be able to view listings in search, but if they select the listing they will see a message that ‘this seller’ (you) does not ship to their country. Buyers will not be able to checkout and will be warned throughout the experience the product will not ship to their location. 

If you recently shipped a package to one of the countries that have since suspended their postal operations, the status of that package depends on the service you used to ship it. 

For packages shipped with USPS international services, USPS will hold any shipments en route and deliver them once when the postal system in the buyer’s country resumes operations. 

For eBay international standard delivery, the process will vary based upon whether the package has already been processed by our consolidation center at the time of country suspension. If the package has been processed by the consolidation center and is in transit internationally, we will hold these shipments and have them delivered once the postal system in the buyer’s country resumes operations. If the package has not been processed by our consolidation center, we will be returning the shipment to you. You will be refunded the cost of the eBay international delivery label on your next invoice and will not be charged for the return shipping label. 

There is minimal impact on eBay’s Global Shipping Program due to the use of both in-country postal systems and private carriers. However, estimated delivery times have been extended in many areas experiencing some delays. 

From what I'm seeing there is a different exclusion list there (US) than the one that has been showing on my .ca listings.

All I can say is:

1 - I don't use eBay "carrier partners" for International

2 - I don't print my shipping labels through eBay or any of it's "partners"

3 - I want to choose for myself where and where not to ship to

4 - I'd be SHOCKED if eBay was at all up to date on where the problems might exist, things are changing on a daily basis and in the past eBay has demonstrated that they have little skill in the logistics area (after all, any involvement they have is all run by third-parties like Pitney-Bowes)

Fortunately I've found some workarounds I can use with experienced buyers IF they ask (and no there isn't ANY fee avoidance involved). Let's just say that it can be a good thing that there is no address verification on eBay!

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

Thanks for the tags @ypdc_dennis & @richardcm

Hi @recped - I'm still trying to get all the details on this myself, apologies. As far as I can tell 25 international corridors were administratively blocked earlier this week, meaning buyers with shipping addresses in those countries will not be able to purchase any item listed by any seller. 

I'm working to get more detail on when/if this will be announced (and where) and will keep folks updated. I'll pass on the questions raised too to see if we can get them preemptively addressed rather than having to chase it down later. 🙂 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Personally I'm happy to see this!

My main "worry" about reopening my store is the international aspect and I don't want to try doing any mass updates on my listings (I have a LOT of grandfathered items up to 10 years old running).

This might just mean I'm reopening sooner now!

I must say I have had the most ever enquires from folks wanting to know when I am reopening my store than ever before (keep in mind I usually shut down for the month of August)! 

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

"Mass Update" ?????

If you want to exclude countries you can set up and define them in less than a minute and they will apply to ALL your listings.

If you are really worried about shipping to countries where there are currently issues with mail delivery the list of countries that eBay has added is woefully limited and doesn't match up with the lists of problem countries as defined by Canada Post, USPS, UPS, FedEX etc.

Whoever compiled the list simply doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply

@recped wrote:

"Mass Update" ?????

If you want to exclude countries you can set up and define them in less than a minute and they will apply to ALL your listings.

If you are really worried about shipping to countries where there are currently issues with mail delivery the list of countries that eBay has added is woefully limited and doesn't match up with the lists of problem countries as defined by Canada Post, USPS, UPS, FedEX etc.

Whoever compiled the list simply doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

Yes I remember seeing this discussed somewhere in a thread where I can just change it on my main account rules, but I have this spider sense that there might be problems with doing that against grandfathered stuff and I dearly do not want some sort of glitch forcing me to update somewhere around 3000 grandfathered items (this would be a couple 100 hours of work for me) either when I do it, or try to undo it.

Certainly the excluded list is not complete, the earliest I'll be reopening is a week from now, so I will review the current situation then to figure out what I do.

PS I do agree that we should be aware in advance that it is happening and not the ones asking about it after we discover it was put in place.

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

Yes I remember seeing this discussed somewhere in a thread where I can just change it on my main account rules, but I have this spider sense that there might be problems with doing that against grandfathered stuff and I dearly do not want some sort of glitch forcing me to update somewhere around 3000 grandfathered items (this would be a couple 100 hours of work for me) either when I do it, or try to undo it

It's simple, you pick the exclusions you want, tick the box to apply to current running listingas, click on OK and you are done.

Turning them off is exactly the same process.

It's very simple, takes about a minute or two at most and that all depends on how much time you dither when selecting locations to block (if you do it by continent it's REALLY simple).

If you wanted to restrict to USA/Canada it's even easier since you just pick those two as ship to and then set the block "block buyers in countries I don't ship to".

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

I'm getting the opposite. Now 4 sales that I have had to cancel as the countries are on my blocked list and have been for years. Specifically China and Italy. Also I have a bid on an item, again from a blocked country and also from my blocked buyers list. Obviously none of the "blocking" functions are working.

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

PS I also have my calculated shipping for Canada and USA no International .... so how are they bypassing all of this and able to purchase and bid
Message 19 of 45
latest reply

Yes I understand the process to turn it on, it is very simple for normal items, however I do also believe it may not be that simple for grandfathered items.

If you (or someone else) do have grandfathered items and have been able to turn this on and off again with no problems across items with unique per item flat rate international shipping amounts that would be awesome news.

I know other things cannot be applied to grandfathered items with out ungrandfathering them first (which is again over 200 hours work for me, some of my items are 3 or 4 times grandfathered over the last 5 or more years, so it is not a simple update on each item for me) and I remain suspicious that it would not be that simple for my suite of items.

Are any of your items grandfathered?

Message 20 of 45
latest reply