eBay.com listings delivery estimate totally wrong

For those selling on eBay.com how accurate are your delivery estimate dates?  I'm getting annoyed at how wrong they are for me.

My listings are set to same day handling/shipping with UPS 3-Day shipping.   All my orders to US get delivered in 2 business days, from time to time 3 days if there's some issue on the way.  But, eBay is showing all my listings as about 10+ day delivery which for sure is costing me sales.

Even using the shipping calculator, entering a US zip code it still shows that silly date range:

(Today is May 3rd)

------------------

Free shipping
Free
United States
Expedited Shipping (UPS 3 Day SelectSM)
Estimated between Wed, May 11 and Mon, May 16 to 90210 
------------------

Like what the heck, May 11 to 16 delivery date from May 3rd order date using 3-day courier service?  If I shipped a package today it would be delivered on May 5th.

Any ideas how I can correct this?  I tried chatting with eBay but they were totally useless.  Kept telling me because it's international delivery even though its listed in US and the shipping settings come from "Domestic" section and I'm picking a 3 day courier delivery service.
Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: eBay.com listings delivery estimate totally wrong

As far as it goes for eBay USA and eBay Canada, eBay claims that the 2 are 1 entity working symbiotically but going by many of the recent improvements/updates/lack of dedicated support it really doesn't seem like it from a Canadian perspective.

I've heard that even the two eBay Canada sites aren't the same entity (which is likely why we don't have multi-quantity discounts or coupons). Not 100% sure if it's true, but I think it probably is.

Message 21 of 64
latest reply

OK let me say one thing every time I sell over the Border,USA buyers 99percent of the time have no clue that you are a Canadien seller, so when you send an item out just let them know,and tell them Canada is another Country and shipping will take longer, does this work? "NO" not at all I still get my USA buyers Emailing me after 4 business days I did not get comic--Why? did you mail it already? this is after I send them an Email just the same day I mail it for them..that tells me -USA buyers do not read Emails -ignore them- or they are doing this just because they can-and they are bored--try this do not send them a tracking number--they will open dispute within a week of purchase---then put tracking number on the dispute ----I know it is not nice ,but hey , they trying to get free comic,,and will show you hoiw many will try to scamm you ---almost all of them ,now I would stop selling to USA but I have to list on .com so I always keep my fingers crossed that no USA buyer shows up ...most of my Canadien buyers are polite, super, and asks questions before they bid, Thank you Sincerely John  

Message 22 of 64
latest reply

What are you talking about?  You keep making excuses for eBay that make no sense.   

UPS between US and Canada are for all practical purposes one entity.  Their delivery dates/estimates are spot on.  They have a single tracking system thats always accurate. They have the same branding and present themselves as the same.  As far as end users are concerned they are a single brand/service even if ownership between countries may vary.  When you get a UPS delivery do you say oh hey it's "UPS Canada", no you don't.  You don't see USPS delivery people coming to your door when you get a postal service delivery from US now do you?  I'm pretty sure there are no Canada Post trucks driving around in US. They have separate tracking systems, just forward delayed information to one another.  

No matter where you're shipping from, if you select "XYZ day shipping" for your listing than XYZ should be the estimated delivery time, not ABC. Why is it so hard to understand that?

If the estimated delivery date does not match the listing specified shipping, than whats the point of selecting what shipping method is being used on a listing in the first place.

Message 23 of 64
latest reply

Okay, let's put it this way.  My understanding is that the Calculated Shipping function on eBay.com is US-centric and does not work for sellers shipping from locations other than the United States.

When you enter your "ship from" location for calculated shipping, does eBay.com ask for your postal code or for your ZIP code?

If it asks for your postal code, then the error is eBay's.  If it asks for a ZIP code and you're entering a Canadian postal code, you're giving it information the system can't properly process.

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Okay, let's put it this way.  My understanding is that the Calculated Shipping function on eBay.com is US-centric and does not work for sellers shipping from locations other than the United States.

When you enter your "ship from" location for calculated shipping, does eBay.com ask for your postal code or for your ZIP code?

If it asks for your postal code, then the error is eBay's.  If it asks for a ZIP code and you're entering a Canadian postal code, you're giving it information the system can't properly process.

@biglittleape 

That would be an error with the eBay calculator. If you go to either the US or CAN. UPS site the information would be the same based on zip/postal codes. (Reciprocal). From my testing when it comes to transit times using eBay the times are 95% of the time generic. It will show the same estimate for Calgary/Rural AB to Tx, FL or CA. As per a previous post (9) regarding UPS/Fedex, Devon was looking into that and how it related to Fedex/UPS. But the system does show incorrect info for the mail parcels as well. 

-Lotz

PS. I purchase from 123 ink in Montreal and they use either Fedex Ground or CP and their tracking is either bang on or items are delivered early. So it is possible to for buyers/sellers to see correct information. Sadly old adage may kick in here....Garbage in Garbage out!!!

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

When I ship it takes the same amount of time to go from Toronto to Buffalo, Toronto to Alaska or Toronto to Califorina. Heck, I ship all over the world and it's rare to take more than a week.

3 week estimate for UPS 3 Day service is ridiculous, even longer for "overnight air" service like what the heck.

Message 26 of 64
latest reply

UPS 3 Day Select from Canada to the US is a difference service than UPS 3 Day Select for within the US.  If you're feeding the eBay.com shipping calculator Canadian postal codes, that's probably what's throwing the calculator's shipping time estimate for a loop as it's probably just programmed to expect US ZIP codes for domestic US shipments only.

As @lotzofuniquegoodies stated earlier, garbage in, garbage out.

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

@biglittleape 

Instead of selecting that ups option, a solution might be for you to choose 'expedited shipping from Canada'.  That should give you a 1-4 business day estimated delivery time.

Message 28 of 64
latest reply

Unfortunately, that won’t give the OP calculated shipping rates, and if I’m putting the jigsaw puzzle of hints together correctly, it sounds as though the shipping calculator is generating correct shipping rates from their location in Canada. 🤷

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@biglittleape 

Instead of selecting that ups option, a solution might be for you to choose 'expedited shipping from Canada'.  That should give you a 1-4 business day estimated delivery time.

Attempting to use Expedited would be even more Looney Tunes(Pardon the anology).

For my listings from Calgary it shows the following with 1 day handling time:

Calgary to wi.jpg

Doing an upgrade and including Xpresspost it now shows Sept 13 to Sept 20. Same goes for Expedited. So 1 day longer for the more premium services(Expedited/Xpresspost)????

Calgary to LA b.jpg

For your Loony Tunes coin from Red Deer with 2 day handling it shows(with tracked):

Estimated between Tue, 13 Sep and Fri, 16 Sep to 90210.  Last time I checked Red Deer was slightly farther away as the crow flies compared to Calgary. 

On items where you use Standard shipping(2 day handling):

Estimated between Tue, 13 Sep and Wed, 21 Sep to 90210

The estimates have been out to lunch for ages....Especially for anything shipped in Canada. The above math bares this out. eBay always states they are investigating but those estimates rarely change to mirror CP etc. Only way to get something from Canada to majority of US points would be the super expensive Priority service.

-Lotz

Message 30 of 64
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Unfortunately, that won’t give the OP calculated shipping rates, and if I’m putting the jigsaw puzzle of hints together correctly, it sounds as though the shipping calculator is generating correct shipping rates from their location in Canada. 🤷

The shipping calcutor on .com traditionally does not calculate rates or delivery time from addresses outside of the US.   I don't know why that ups est. delivery date is so wonky but if it was actually calculating anything it would change when I entered different buyer zip codes and it doesn't change.  

That particular  service as well as all of the usps services are meant to be used by sellers within the US and are set up for them, not Canadians,  if a seller from outside the country chooses one of the generic 'outside of the US' options it usually matches the time frame given on the listing form.

@biglittleape 

I did some testing  on one of my .com listings tonight and realized that the expedited shipping from Canada isn't set up correctly as it is giving me basically the same time frame as standard shipping from Canada.  However, if you select 'expedited shipping from outside of the US' it does give a faster est. delivery date (1-4 business days).  On my listing tonight it showed an arrival time of Sept 9-12 and that is with a 2 day handling time.   That might not be ideal for you but it's better than what the  you are seeing right now.

Message 31 of 64
latest reply

The op lists on .com and you're comparing .ca delivery times and services. As I just posted tonight, the generic option of "expedited from outside of the US" will give the op a shorter time frame. Not looney at all.

On .ca, delivery times for Canada Post services will usually show a day later from Red Deer than Calgary as we aren't considered a major center.  It seems to me that we pay more from here as well but I haven't checked that in a while.

Message 32 of 64
latest reply

I just tried "Expedited Shipping from Canada" and it didn't work, delivery times are longer than UPS options:

(my handling time is same day)

biglittleape_2-1662474533815.png

Message 33 of 64
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The op lists on .com and you're comparing .ca delivery times and services. As I just posted tonight, the generic option of "expedited from outside of the US" will give the op a shorter time frame. Not looney at all.

On .ca, delivery times for Canada Post services will usually show a day later from Red Deer than Calgary as we aren't considered a major center.  It seems to me that we pay more from here as well but I haven't checked that in a while.

If you review the screenshot(my listing) along with cut and the paste (your listing) that is NOT what is being expressed accurately. It shows all 4 services with the same delivery window. Premium services should be faster. That is what a buyer is looking for and basing their buying decision on. As @biglittleape  stated, if info shown is not accurate it scares buyers away. 

-Lotz

Message 34 of 64
latest reply

@biglittleape 

Sorry I corrected that suggestion in post 31 after I tested it myself.  Using expedited shipping from outside of the US will give you a shorter delivery time.  

The generic shipping from Canada options on .com are fairly  new and not set up correctly 

which I did not realize until late last night.   But the generic shipping from outside of the US 

option are more matched to what it says on the listing form.

Message 35 of 64
latest reply

Once again, your screenshots are from .ca listings.  If you look at the op's screenshots that is what a US buyer sees when the seller listed on .com.   

I am not saying that the times are correct or make sense on ca but that isn't pertinent to this conversation.   Listings on .com do not show Canada Post options. The seller has to use generic options.  The op is using options that are set up for US sellers, they don't work from a Canadian postal code.

Message 36 of 64
latest reply

As per @biglittleape  original post the concern is the seller checking off a service that states 3 days and then (right beside it) showing 1 to 2 weeks for delivery. If that is not confusing I don't know what is. Transit times are postal code/zipcode driven. The problem is eBay displaying bad data.

-Lotz

Message 37 of 64
latest reply

Of course it's confusing I never said that it wasn't.  

Message 38 of 64
latest reply

For me it's the belief that if we don't point out features that are not working properly (displaying info that is incorrect) eBay will never NEVER fix!! Strength in numbers!! The recurring observation by many is they keep tinkering with things that were working properly or were beneficial to most. Not really helpful in the grand scheme!! 

-Lotz

Message 39 of 64
latest reply

The shipping times should be set correctly for Canadian sellers on this site.  It should also be set correctly on the .com site when Canadians are using the options that are meant for them to use.   

But the op is using a domestic option meant for sellers in the US, not for sellers outside of the US.  It's working as it should for US sellers.   There really is not a problem to point out in this situation.  Why not start a separate thread about .ca shipping estimate issues?

Message 40 of 64
latest reply