Canadians, Post your GSP gripes on US ebay,Seller Central

If you weant US sellers to know about your reaction to GSP users, log in to eBay.com and post on the US Seller Central board, where there is a chance that your feelings about GSP and sellers using it might be noticed by US sellers who may have no idea that they are offering it and less idea about how it is regarded abroad.

Thousands of posts on the subject here have been more or less wasted on users who in general agree with you.

The ones to reach are the sellers using it, and they will not be looking here.

Any user with so broad an outlook will already be selling to Canada in a cost effective manner.

US board 'Packaging and Shipping' is another place to direct your pet peeves and cutting comments.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Canadians, Post your GSP gripes on US ebay,Seller Central

Charles, why not post  your issue with the GSP to the US community boards as well?  

As AF mentions in the OP,  it helps naught to come here to vent - we're all in agreement with you, in many instances the GSP is about as useful as a clogged toilet in a dysentery ward. 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

As you may have noticed, GSP topics are being merged into the two threads started by Kalvin. I would like to keep this topic separate as I believe it gives good advice. 

In order to keep this topic separate, I need everyone to post questions and comments about the GSP in the appropriate topics.

Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

lizzier-ca
Community Member

arlene_v
Community Member

I think this applies to this thread, so I'll post it here and hope for the best!

I want to share a discussion thread  from the US jewelry board with folks here.  I'm very pleased to report  that sellers on that board  are starting to have doubts about the GSP,

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Jewelry-Gemstones/OT-The-Int-Shipping-Program-is-a-mess/m-p/18240505#U1...

When posting to the US boards about the GSP,  I always try to  tread carefully - not go "gangbusters"  like a  rabid dog (because I am  very angry about the program). 

Appearing to  help US sellers understand this program from an international perspective,  and not tear them apart, in other words. 

Many of them are completely unaware of what we get to pay. They can't understand why we are so furious ..but factually pointing out that paying $16.33 in shipping for an $8 pair of light weight, second hand fashion earrings ...that we ALL understand. 

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

And that may be the biggest difference with Canadian buyers where post after post we read about an expectation of parcels coming from the USA by mail arriving without any tax or fee being charged (whatever the reason - that is another story). - pierrelebel

Very much so.

When we look at the now nearly dead threads on UPS doorstep charges, we can see that really not much has changed.

US sellers are still unaware that their foreign buyers will be paying duty and tax. 

Canadian buyers are unaware that they will be charged duty and tax, and blame UPS/eBay/PitneyBowes for 'stealing' their money.

Foreign/ European buyers are sophisticated enough to know that they will be charged duty and tax and allow for this in their purchases.

Too bad no political party has thought that raising the import limit on shipped goods (Currently $20)  to match that of personally imported goods (cross-border shopping) which I think is $200, would benefit enough of their constituents to make it worth pushing. But with the rise of online shopping, it might make for a popular, if unimportant, election promise, like paying for kids' hockey fees.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

"would benefit enough of their constituents to make it worth pushing."

On one hand.

On the other hand, it would encourage more Canadians to purchase goods from the USA to avoid paying consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) instead of purchasing from Canadian based retailers who - by law - must charge and remit GST/HST/PST.

The result would be lower sales by Canadian based retailers leading to Canadian staff lay-offs and lower profits (meaning lower taxes paid to Ottawa and the provinces).

Overall, encouraging Canadian to increase their shopping from the USA tax-free is NOT in the best interest of Canada and Canadians.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

I don't buy that often from ebay, but I've noticed the GSP  and agree with previous posts, If my memory is right weren't we allowed $60.00 duty free through the mail. I mainly buy fabric which is $10.00 and under, I refuse to pay over $18.00 for shipping. I will not buy from a seller that uses this. As a Canadian we really have to put the blame on the government for the new allowance, I'm only 90mins from Buffalo/Niagara Falls my weekend trips have now increased. And really $20.00 doesn't buy much anymore, it's only a win situation for Ebay and CBSA

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

The mail figure is $20, not $60, but it seems to be rarely enforced nowadays.

Commercial carriers, clearing imports, have no option but to play strictly be the rules and letter of the law. Hence the tax on lower value items. Even exempt low value items will cost a small amount to clear inwards.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

"we allowed $60.00 duty free"

Yes, $60 is the exemption in Canada for a "gift" received from another individual.  Gifts from a company are fully taxable.

Purchasing "stuff" on eBay does not qualify as "gift".

The exemption is only $20.00 for taxable purchases when coming by mail or carrier.  $200.00 if you cross the border yourself.

Please take a look:  http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

They are complaining in places outside of Ebay. 

Message 30 of 34
latest reply

@splattii wrote:

They are complaining in places outside of Ebay. 

I'm not following your point.  Are you saying that Pierre has his facts wrong?

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Following some comments on the GSP comment thread about posts being moved from US ebay to ebay Ca, I am bumping this. Keep those complaints on the US seller central board coming. You need to make sellers aware, sharing gripes with other buyers may be comforting but it won't open sellers eyes to buyer sentiment.

This thread was moved into the general free for all once, then unmoved after intervention.

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

Let know the sellers that you will never buy anything  from the sellers who are registered whit the GSP. Thats a ll!

Message 34 of 34
latest reply