January 29 2020 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

The chat is open for your questions. I'll be by tomorrow to work on getting you answers. 

See you then!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: January 29 2020 Weekly Session

"Hi @silverpinups - great question! You'll want to make the change sometime in the month of March. Because of the way the billing works, any changes you make in March wouldn't take effect until April anyway, so whether you do that at the beginning or end of the month the outcome would be the same. :)"

Hi Tyler,

Perhaps I didn't clarify.... My billing period is from the first to the month to the end of the month. I pay on 15th-17th of the following month. I would like to keep this billing cycle.

When would I need to end my yearly subscription to start a monthly subscription that renews on Apr.1/2020?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

"Hi @silverpinups - great question! You'll want to make the change sometime in the month of March. Because of the way the billing works, any changes you make in March wouldn't take effect until April anyway, so whether you do that at the beginning or end of the month the outcome would be the same. :)"

Hi Tyler,

Perhaps I didn't clarify.... My billing period is from the first to the month to the end of the month. I pay on 15th-17th of the following month. I would like to keep this billing cycle.

When would I need to end my yearly subscription to start a monthly subscription that renews on Apr.1/2020?

Thanks.

Your billing period is ebay ID account based. A store is just an item to be billed on your account. Cancelling the store will not affect your billing period. 

When you cancel the store, there is an option to end all your active listings. Do not do this. Let them continue. They will renew eventually under your new store. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

"Cancelling the store will not affect your billing period".

Maybe I'm not understanding something.... I'm not cancelling my store, I'm merely changing from a yearly subscription to a monthly subscription for the same store. 

There is two billing cycles... The first of the month to the end of the month and the middle of the month to the middle of the next month. I'm trying to avoid having my billing period from the middle of the month to the middle of the next month.

Or perhaps it doesn't matter since I already have a set billing cycle....

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@richardcm wrote: When you cancel the store, there is an option to end all your active listings. Do not do this. Let them continue. They will renew eventually under your new store. 

tyler@ebay  Is this true? How can simply changing a yearly subscription to monthly subscription be so complicated.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

My understanding to change from yearly to monthly you cancel the store then reopen the next month at the monthly option. But when I read the store help page there seems to be an option to just change from yearly to monthly subscription. I had a store a couple of times over the years but I just cancelled the store and started it when I needed it again. This was before yearly and monthly rates existed. I am probably wrong in my advice cancelling the store. My apologies.

But I am quite sure your billing period is account based and changing your store has no effect on the account billing period.

Tyler will clear this up. My apologies again. I should have let him answer your question since he is very informative and helpful.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

No worries.... thank you for your input.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Mentioned in a previous post but I need to confirm ASAP. Is there no longer a way for buyers to request an amended invoice before making payment? I have a customer who would like to purchase but it brings him directly to payment screen. Or do you need to manually update a listing prior to a customer arranging a pickup to pick up only. I have confirmed in the listing. Immediate payment is NOT required for purchasing.

-Lotz

On dot com it appears to be shipping or pick up is allowed.

On dot ca its one or the other.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Can you please tell me how do I pull up the auctions that have closed from a certain seller?
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Good Day Tyler,

This question is straight forward:

How does eBay management justify forcing sellers in all countries

to pay the PayPal user fees on payments made to eBay

for the state taxes collected by eBay for US states?

Shouldn't eBay or each individual State be paying those PayPal fees

since it is THEIR income?

Thanks.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Hi Tyler, long time no write...

First, I never had a chance to thank you for your kind note on the demise of my store.  It was very much appreciated, and very kind. 

Secondly, my experiment at running a "mini/starter" store on eBay.com over the past few months has proven an utter failure.  I haven't made a sale there yet.  Granted, I've been keeping it alive mainly as a placeholder to avoid losing all my previous store categories, settings and FB, and haven't really had the time to actively keep listing items, as I'm busy on other venues. 

Still, all this was really in the hope that eBay.ca might make "starter" stores available at some point so I could switch over and try my last resort luck there, as it will allow me to offer free shipping to Canadian buyers.  Are the "starter/mini" stores available on .ca yet? 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@stanley613 wrote:
... how do I pull up the auctions that have closed from a certain seller?

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Closed-Auctions/m-p/433236

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Had the starter stores been available on .ca on or about same time as on .com, I would also have given that a go and taken a chance that it would have helped with sales but at this point I believe I will be gone from eBay before anything ever comes of a starter store here. eBay seems to not have any time line or commitment to giving Canadian sellers a starter store.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Thanks.

Hi @silverpinups! Your store subscription runs by calendar month, your billing cycle date isn't impacted by a change to your store level - so no worries there. 

Also, just to clarify the way we bill for stores:

At the beginning of your yearly commitment you paid a prorated amount (from whenever you opened the store to the first of the next month) and then a full month in advance. That was all on the first invoice following your start of the subscription. That means in March (the last month of your 12 month agreement) you won't be charged any store fees for the month and any adjustments you make in that month will take effect at the 1st of the following month.  More examples of the way that works here, including both yearly and monthly agreements.

So in your case, you will want to go through and change to a monthly store subscription sometime in the month of March. That will take effect on April 1. Precisely when you do that within the month is irrelevant because it won't change until April either way. Personally, I would do it earlier than later just because I have a tendency to forget things and don't want to miss the window. 🙂

@richardcm gave some great insight, but for your switch just from Yearly to Monthly of the same store level all you need to do is go to the subscription page (link here) and choose 'change subscription'. Then on the next page choose 'change to monthly'. 

The pop-up Richard mentions is if you were choosing to close the store, not just change the store level.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Mentioned in a previous post but I need to confirm ASAP. Is there no longer a way for buyers to request an amended invoice before making payment? I have a customer who would like to purchase but it brings him directly to payment screen. Or do you need to manually update a listing prior to a customer arranging a pickup to pick up only. I have confirmed in the listing. Immediate payment is NOT required for purchasing.

-Lotz

On dot com it appears to be shipping or pick up is allowed.

On dot ca its one or the other.

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - is the buyer choosing 'Buy it Now'? That would take them immediately to the checkout screen. If the buyer instead chooses 'add to cart' and they have a few of your items there they could 'request an invoice'*. 

If they're wanting to pick it up locally, and the listing did not have that as an option initially the best way to go about this is to revise the listing to offer it. They can then select it at checkout. Doing it this way makes it simpler for you and also will not impact your tracking upload metrics (not sure if that's something that matters for you, but wanted to put it out there). Thanks!

*Their ability to choose this option is predicated on you not offering combined shipping discounts on the items already

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

@stanley613 wrote:
Can you please tell me how do I pull up the auctions that have closed from a certain seller?

Hi @stanley613 - @ypdc_dennis gave you great step-by-steps, but just to include them here for anyone who may come across this in the future:

Use Advanced search (link is next to the regular Seach button).

Search including section check off Sold listings (for just those that sold) or Completed listings (all listings that have ended, sold or not, tends to be less useful).

Buying formats  section check Auctions.

In the Sellers section enter the seller ID you want to look at.

Then hit the search button at the bottom of the page.

This will give results for the last 2-3 months.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Technically they are not combining. They are purchasing one item. The option to request an invoice should be available to all along with being able to off pick up on all listings for Canadian sellers. Many buyers are unaware of the fact that adding to cart may change how things react. It's really nowhere properly explained. In a city of 1.3 million pickups will happen. Exactly how it works in the USA so sellers are given the options to choose both. In regards to pick ups in general, without knowing an area a seller lives in it may not be convenient for a buyer, this is why they need these details BEFORE committing to purchase.

-Lotz

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Still not happy about paying Paypal fees on the Internet Sales Taxes collected and remitted by eBay.
Has there been any discussion at eBay about ways to rebate those fees to sellers, who, as is often stated, never touch the money.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:
Good Day Tyler,

This question is straight forward:

How does eBay management justify forcing sellers in all countries

to pay the PayPal user fees on payments made to eBay

for the state taxes collected by eBay for US states?

Shouldn't eBay or each individual State be paying those PayPal fees

since it is THEIR income?

Thanks.

Hi @gwrocen - as a designated marketplace facilitator, we're required to charge US sales tax to buyers in the states that mandated it. 

We announced a process shift in October, and that went into effect in early November. This was done with the intent of reducing buyer confusion and streamlining the process. 

While PayPal charges a fee to process the total amount you receive, we do not charge you fees to collect or remit the taxes on your buyer's behalf. 

I recognize that this isn't anything different than I've said in the past, and the reason for that is that that's the extent of the information I have to provide you on this subject. I appreciate your passion on this subject, but won't be able to address 'intent', 'why' or 'how do you justify' type questions regarding sales tax. 

Interestingly, in the announcement made on eBay.com from last year we indicated the experience for Managed Payments sellers would not change.  As that program continues to expand I'd encourage you to look into it as an alternative when it becomes available for Canadian members, as that would appear to resolve your major concerns with the process.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Tyler, long time no write...

First, I never had a chance to thank you for your kind note on the demise of my store.  It was very much appreciated, and very kind. 

Secondly, my experiment at running a "mini/starter" store on eBay.com over the past few months has proven an utter failure.  I haven't made a sale there yet.  Granted, I've been keeping it alive mainly as a placeholder to avoid losing all my previous store categories, settings and FB, and haven't really had the time to actively keep listing items, as I'm busy on other venues. 

Still, all this was really in the hope that eBay.ca might make "starter" stores available at some point so I could switch over and try my last resort luck there, as it will allow me to offer free shipping to Canadian buyers.  Are the "starter/mini" stores available on .ca yet? 

Hi @rose-dee - it's great to hear from you! 🙂

There's currently nothing announced about Starter Stores coming to Canada. However, I'm actually very hopeful that we see something along those lines in the near future as I know that the team has been working very hard to get things ironed out.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 23
latest reply