Better Just To Shut It All Down?

I've been continuing to sell, but it hardly seems worth it for the headaches I'm encountering (and bound to encounter).

I have two parcels sitting on a truck in Mississauga somewhere (and they won't be investigated by CP because they were sent by Chit Chats, and since i didn't buy insurance with them, I'm screwed there).

I have two other domestic parcels sent this week that still haven't been picked up at the local post office.

I have a feeling it's luck of the draw at every single point of contact now. Odds of something going missing are quite high. Then trying to file a claim for anything missing will be a gong show.

I'm shuttin er down... 😞
Message 1 of 53
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
52 REPLIES 52

Although I am not listing anything on eBay at this time, I am keeping my listings up on another venue that I sell on...I use only Canada Post and thus far have not encountered any issues.

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

The potential for a Canada Post problem  on a parcel is enough to put the store on vacation.... or... to remove all listings from eBay .

My store has been on vacation since March 16

The reality of this current virus problem  is not going to end soon....

Old man T. Rump does not understand the true reality of the current situation....... and if he gets what he wants....  The US, and by association... Canada, could also be experiencing more problems

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

I also shut my store down on March 21, with Canada Post not shipping internationally and delays evident in North America I felt it prudent to do so even though my listings would be desirable for people in self isolation.  Hopefully things will improve sooner rather than later.

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

When Canada Post and USPS agree to stop the transit of mail, then I may re-consider my position but until then I remain calm and will carry on with whatever transpires.

I am not of the belief that panic/fear of the unknown will solve anything but rather that logic and sensibility are better served at this time.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

Ditto mrdutch!
Message 6 of 53
latest reply

I find myself in a weird situation because I had planned "before the COVID" to be shut down this week anyway for a now cancelled of course spring holiday, and my shut down process is over a week long, so I just continued to remain shut down as planned.

Tomorrow was supposed to be my open back up date, but I'm going to push my re-open date out to April 3rd now and re-evaluate at that time.

My "firing up" process is time consuming and shutting back down while I'm "firing up" because of some new development will be a double pain.

Of course the longer I'm shut down now, the less time I'll be able to sneak off in the summer, assuming we can do stuff by then (there's probably a lot of fish that will be happy if COVID axes my summer vacation time! wink)

Just like everything else right now so much is up in the air!!!

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

I'm doing the same. As long as Canada post continues service to the USA, UK and Australia, I'll continue to sell. Those countries are nearly all of my international sales.
Message 8 of 53
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
... I have two parcels sitting on a truck in Mississauga somewhere (and they won't be investigated by CP because they were sent by Chit Chats, and since i didn't buy insurance with them, I'm screwed there).

You ask ChitChatsExpress to investigate the parcels on your behalf.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

The only way to get Chit Chats to investigate is to file a claim. And i can't file a claim without insurance. I may try to call instead, but calling any business these days seems to be very difficult, if not impossible!
Message 10 of 53
latest reply

Red alert: Canada Post is not accepting mail and parcels for these countries due to a temporary service disruption. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page

Not accepting mail and parcels.

March. 25. 2020.  66 Countries on the list. March 26, 2020. 72 Countries.

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

I’m keeping my stores open. Last week was quiet but just had a couple of sales so maybe folks are switching to online now shops are closing. Shipped to the UK last week and, as usual, items got there in record time. Seem to be selling more to other Canadians now.

I do have to trek the post office to mail my packages but that’s okay, at least I feel safer living in a rural area. More animals than people around here.

Stay safe everyone!
Message 12 of 53
latest reply

I do have to trek the post office to mail my packages but that’s okay, at least I feel safer living in a rural area. More animals than people around here.

I should clarify that I don’t have to actually go in to the post office, I can just drive up to the back and drop them off there. Keeps us all safer.
Message 13 of 53
latest reply

Precisely, I am still listing and sorting listings. Still selling and parcels are still moving...

...until Canada Post Shuts Shop or stops all movement of parcels, I will

"Keep Calm and Move Forward"

I have survived 2 eBay "Boycotts", Postal Strikes, 2 bouts with cancer and have never "Closed" my store or account...

Stay Safe !

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:
I'm doing the same. As long as Canada post continues service to the USA, UK and Australia, I'll continue to sell. Those countries are nearly all of my international sales.

Same here, exactly the same!

Message 15 of 53
latest reply

Canada Post Mail delivery alert for Newfoundland and Labrador

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

Good post.  Since you brought it to our attention, it is worth a separate topic.  

@cumos55 wrote:

Canada Post Mail delivery alert for Newfoundland and Labrador

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

The store has been on vacation since March 16.

Received an email yesterday, March 26,  about a book someone was interested in buying.  This was the first email about when the store might be open...again.

Compared to the postal disruption in 2018....  this  time since March 16 has been very quiet.

This quiet time is an indication that people have a focus on something more essential than buying books on eBay. ....

My time for the next series of days, weeks, months,  and hopefully not too much more, will be preparing new listings,  and relaxing as if I was retired and living secluded at home. ... except for important personal shopping. 

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

I also have annoyed "wannabebuyers" that have been emailing (this is the first time every I've had annoyed ones).

The most vocal was upset because "everyone else" has it set up with looonnnngggg delivery times and they just want me to be the same as the other sellers. (I hide everything so they must be watching the item to still see it). I'm not going to change my practices of course.

They're responses are invoking my "spider senses". If it gets any worse they'll find they can't ever buy, people who complain before they buy are a big help! English isn't their first language so I think the tone isn't what it seems, but time will tell.

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

Went to post office today in my local mall. Lady there said they will be open normal hours next week. I will continue selling.
Message 20 of 53
latest reply