I see March 24th us non-essential Ontarian sellers are having to shut down anyway...

Just saw an announcement that I'd have to shut down tomorrow anyway, all non-essential businesses have to shut down!

(The list is to come, but alas I don't think "stamp dealer" will be on the essentials list).

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I see March 24th us non-essential Ontarian sellers are having to shut down anyway...

Wouldn't that be more for businesses that are dealing with others face to face? If a company has their employees working from home, I can't see them having to shut down.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

@ricarmic 

More importantly the concern is....Can you/anyone that would like to get parcels to the post office or drop box safely and is processing for those packages going to change? According to news report (Global News Calgary)I just saw on lunch hour couriers/post offices are doing things to make everything as safe as possible for everyone involved. Until further notice!!! Essential retailers are ramping up to keep stores stocked and product available. Plus as noted it keeps the economy going and folks at the other end the anticipation of a package they are looking forward to for whatever reason even if it is a bit delayed.  All you can do is use your best judgement and carry on as long as you can.

-Lotz

PS. For many that sell online(not all but many) this is their only source of income. These folks will have limited alternate backup. They still need to be able to survive for as long as they can. The little I make here barely assists in paying my rent.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Workplaces to close not sellers.

"In a statement, the premier's office states that to further contain the spread of COVID-19, the Ontario Government will order the mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces effective as of Tuesday, March 24th at 11:59 p.m."

"Speaking in Toronto, Ford said only grocery stores, pharmacies, takeout and delivery restaurants, essential manufacturing industries and supply chain suppliers will be allowed to remain open. The province’s liquor stores will also remain open, according to a report from the Toronto Star. A full list of businesses allowed to stay open will be released Tuesday, he said."

If you work from home that restriction should not apply unless you have employees.

Other provinces are doing similar shutdowns. Quebec is closing all non-essential businesses and services until April 13.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Just saw an announcement that I'd have to shut down tomorrow anyway, all non-essential businesses have to shut down!

(The list is to come, but alas I don't think "stamp dealer" will be on the essentials list).

Do you operate a retail storefront? Do you deal with your customers and/or suppliers on a face to face basis? Do you have employees who cannot work from home?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Wouldn't that be more for businesses that are dealing with others face to face? If a company has their employees working from home, I can't see them having to shut down.

This was my original thinking as well, however part of the reason I shut down on Sunday was because I can't do everything in my own house, I have to go to the PO and interact (the way I do things) with the postmaster there, and our PO is a wee tiny place (people are not reading the wealth of notices about how many people max can be inside (2), and the social distancing etc).

I think this is true of us all, we can work from home but the products of our work have to get out into the real world, that's where the problem is. Whilst I've been writing this, I see others have posted as well, so it is entirely possible I've misunderstood how/who all is affected. Things are changing so rapidly and there is so much information everywhere, it is very very hard to keep up.

Certainly keep adding corrective things out there!

For sure, the economic impact of this is going to be significant on a lot of folks. 75% of my family is already without work for now.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

I am wondering about big companies like Amazon, a lot of people rely on them. Would eBay be in the same class? Now putting stamps on all my packages and getting them dropped off in the mailing box, I have no contact with anyone to do that.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @ricarmic - CPC, FedEx and UPS have all been deemed 'essential businesses' from what I've heard tell, so if you want to stay open and keep fulfilling orders there isn't an impediment to you (unless you're also running a store front somewhere - that would have to close as I understand it). 

Just to reiterate, we are working to make sure that delivery estimates are accurate and that you are protected in the event of a courier shutdown. 

With all that said, though, please stay safe and do what is best for yourself and your family!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Anyone know if ChitChats will be considered essential as well? They have instituted contactless drop since beginning of last week.
Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Someone, somewhere will be a physical person in the delivery chain of your package.  Metal boxes don't walk across the country all by themselves and knock-on doors, or pick-up and deliver packages at the post. 

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Anyone know if ChitChats will be considered essential as well? They have instituted contactless drop since beginning of last week.per

UPDATE Monday, March 23

• Chit Chats is operating as normal and we will update our clients once we know more from the government as to what constitutes an essential business.
  • Updates to the Asendia Priority Tracked service. Read more.
    • Thailand no longer available as a part of Asendia Priority Tracked effective immediately. This does not affect any shipments where postage has already been purchased or shipments in transit.
    • There will not be any changes to rates at this time.
  • Burlington and Vaughan drop spots have reduced hours of operation starting Tue, Mar 24. Find the revised hours in our Ontario region blog post.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

It's been a while since I last checked. What is the procedure to cancel a store subscription? And what are the fee's? And since it is mandated by law that people not sell then why are there charges? The subscription is for listings eBay themselves cannot sell during this government mandate, unless it is for essentials or digital products?

Three of my stores just auto-renewed at the end of January which means they are on for another year. That's nearly $1,000 for the year for what may be no service. For example, in my province I am mandated, as a non-essential service, to be closed atm. No bopping about to the post to ship non-essential items. 

This mandate is in place for the safety of our family, friends, neighbors, and those who work on the front-lines of essential services (like couriers). 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @ricarmic - CPC, FedEx and UPS have all been deemed 'essential businesses' from what I've heard tell, so if you want to stay open and keep fulfilling orders there isn't an impediment to you (unless you're also running a store front somewhere - that would have to close as I understand it). 

Just to reiterate, we are working to make sure that delivery estimates are accurate and that you are protected in the event of a courier shutdown. 

With all that said, though, please stay safe and do what is best for yourself and your family!

Before all the pandemic happened, I had planned to be shut down this week anyway for an annual spring vacation. My "wind down" process takes about 2 weeks to happen and I was all but shut down on Sunday anyway. With all the pandemic and family related stuff on the go, it was easier for me to shut down given I'd been planning to anyway.

I will revisit whether I reopen at the end of the week, I'm sure things will have continued to evolve a fair bit by then, both home and business wise too!

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

It's business as usual in Winnipeg. I was at the Post Office today to visit my favorite postal clerk and she said that very busy right now with everyone sending out care packages to family and friends.

My Drugstore/Post Office has set up hanging shower curtain rods from the ceiling with clear shower curtains over the customer service areas to keep their employees safe. 

Good luck and stay safe.....

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected 

And since it is mandated by law that people not sell then why are there charges?

Read the thread.

There is no restriction on selling, only on shops and even some of those are exempt (supermarkets and pharmacies).

If like most of us you are working from home, or in a shop that is otherwise closed, you are within the law.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

It's business as usual in Winnipeg. I was at the Post Office today to visit my favorite postal clerk and she said that very busy right now with everyone sending out care packages to family and friends.

My Drugstore/Post Office has set up hanging shower curtain rods from the ceiling with clear shower curtains over the customer service areas to keep their employees safe. 

Good luck and stay safe.....

One small example of how adaptable the human race is to changing conditions.

Society will find a way.

Not intended as a comment on the barrier's effectiveness one way or the other. Maybe they could add one of those roller conveyances like Ontario beer stores use for the empties ... just roll the ebay parcels up to the counter from a safe distance lol

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

"One small example of how adaptable the human race is to changing conditions.

Society will find a way".

Yes, it brought a smile to my face... Very ingenious!

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

I saw in the news today what all Taiwan has done, they've been quite ingenious too, and their infection rate so far is very small (despite the fact schools and all businesses? are open)....they're using the screens everywhere in the schools, mall food courts etc....
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

It's been a while since I last checked. What is the procedure to cancel a store subscription? And what are the fee's? And since it is mandated by law that people not sell then why are there charges?

In what province are you mandated by law not to sell?

Only workplaces in Ontario are required to close.

It would be a nice gesture by eBay to allow ending a yearly subscription early or downgrading to a lower store subscription without penalty.

How-to: https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/ebay-stores/closing-ebay-store?id=4091

Penalties: https://pages.ebay.ca/stores/subscriptionterms.html

March 2020March 2020

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

As of Monday evening, most "Cross Border Shippers" from Canada are working as usual, with some delays to international destinations. They should be considered "essential" as they are basically acting like other shipping/trade providers.  Canada Post is working fully as well, but again, could have some delays to service and is not doing "guaranteed" delivery as much. Once this changes, we will update this as well. 

Message 20 of 37
latest reply