I see March 24th us non-essential Ontarian sellers are having to shut down anyway...

Just saw an announcement that I'd have to shut down tomorrow anyway, all non-essential businesses have to shut down!

(The list is to come, but alas I don't think "stamp dealer" will be on the essentials list).

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I see March 24th us non-essential Ontarian sellers are having to shut down anyway...

Quebec official statement fully allows ecommerce to continue.
Message 21 of 37
latest reply

It would be hard to decide what is "essential" at the border.

A shipment of insulin purchased in Manitoba and going to a single patient in Missouri?

A CPAP filter from New York to Labrador?

A prom dress custom made for a plus size teen?

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@cottagewoman wrote:

Ontario's backgrounder document states this also ... 3rd sentence from the top

The "essentials" make for a lengthy list.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/03/list-of-essential-workplaces-2.html

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera 

List as per Government of Canada:

4.1 What is an essential service?

Under the PSLRA, an “essential service” is defined as “any service, facility or activity of the Government of Canada [that] is or will be necessary for the safety or security of the public or a segment of the public.”

Examples of government services or activities that may be considered essential include, but are not limited to:

• border safety/security
  • correctional services
  • food inspection activities
  • accident safety investigations
  • income and social security
  • marine safety
  • national security
  • law enforcement
  • search and rescue

Although the notion of “safety or security of the public” is not defined in the Act, some examples may be found in jurisprudence. (See Annex A for examples).

As Per Wikipedia 2011 - Unverified.

587. The following do not constitute essential services in the strict sense of the term:

References

1. ^ International Labour Organization, Freedom of association - Digest of decisions and principles of the Freedom of Association Committee of the Governing Body of the ILO. Fifth (revised) edition, 2006.

Something where personal opinions and jurisdictions will vary greatly.

-Lotz

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

ILO - The International Labour Organization is a United Nations agency whose mandate is to advance social justice and promote decent work by setting international labour standards.

It does not set the rules for Canada.

PSLRA - Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/p-33.3/

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

@cottagewoman wrote:

Ontario's backgrounder document states this also ... 3rd sentence from the top

The "essentials" make for a lengthy list.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/03/list-of-essential-workplaces-2.html

Excellent news, I'm glad that I was wrong in my interpretation, certainly this thread got lots of communication going which is a very good thing too! THX for sharing the link! 

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-list-essential-businesses-1.5507687

The Ontario government says: "For the purposes of this order, businesses include any-for-profit, non-profit or other entity providing the goods and services described herein. This does not preclude the provision of work and services by entities not on this list either online, by telephone or by mail/delivery. Note that teleworking and online commerce are permitted at all times for all businesses."

Our business shall be standing in solidarity with the essential courier workforce as much as possible and limit exposure due to personal threat category qualifications.

While I am pleased to see that eBay has waived post delay penalties for the immediate situation I do not fully understand how they are calculated so as not to get in trouble when they come back into effect. 

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Confirmation with local ChitChats office in Montreal - business as usual.
Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Normal post office hours here in BC. The lady there assured me they plan to remain open.
Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:
Normal post office hours here in BC. The lady there assured me they plan to remain open.

My local (Ontario) Shoppers postal outlet cut hours this week down to 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

Too many of the trained staff are staying home in this week to keep longer hours. I suspect first cases of COVID-19 showing up this past weekend in my city and the non-essential announcement in Ontario was the tip point for many. The postal manager also mentioned that their postal storage area has lots of empty spaces as parcel volume has fallen in the last 2 weeks.

-..-

Message 30 of 37
latest reply

Official confirmation from ChitChats blog- normal operations in ON and QC.

https://chitchats.com/blog/update-on-essential-services-covid-19

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

I work from home but have shipped via UPS and CPC as recent as yesterday.  In my experience most things seem normal, but we also have reduced hours at the drop off points for both services (9-5)

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

It is also important to note that the St. Johns thus Newfoundland CPC is currently closed and listed as such on the Canada Post website. They are currently undergoing a "deep clean" due to multiple covid-19 cases reported within the post office. 

Something perhaps to keep in mind.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

It is also important to note that the St. Johns thus Newfoundland CPC is currently closed and listed as such on the Canada Post website. They are currently undergoing a "deep clean" due to multiple covid-19 cases reported within the post office. 

Something perhaps to keep in mind.

Currently 1 positive case, 13 in isolation who had contact with the person.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/canada-post-employees-covid-1.5507388

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/mail-covid-kenmount-1.5509288

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Is there a re-opening date?

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Is there a re-opening date?

Check https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page for updates.

Canada Post (March 25 update):
The St. John’s mail processing plant remains closed.
Delivery of mail and parcels, as well as pickup services, will continue to be suspended in St. John’s and Mount Pearl for the remainder of the week and delays should be expected elsewhere for all of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Start point was 13 postal workers attending a wake/funeral March 15-17 who were exposed to COVID-19.

-..-

Message 37 of 37
latest reply