New? Verification code.... (on .COM at least)

Starting today (for me at least) whenever I've been away from my machine for a few minutes and come back and refresh, I'm having to enter a 6 digit security code... here's the text that goes with it...

"To keep eBay a safe place to buy and sell, we will occasionally ask you to enter a verification code. This helps us to block unauthorized users from entering our site. Please enter the verification code in the image below and click on the "Continue" button to enter our site."

It is odd that it says occasionally, I've had to put it in 3 times already today (every time)..... I guess it is better than what would happen if unauthorized users were entering the site......

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: New? Verification code.... (on .COM at least)

I wonder if eBay (U.S. especially) is getting nervous what with all the talk of Russian hacking and cyber-thievery going on?  Not to mention the never-ending Chinese cyber threats. 

It could be that eBay knows more than they're telling us (as usual).  I suppose I'd rather have to enter a security code a few times if it means protecting the site in general.  

Are these the randomly generated "CAPTCHA" codes that you're referring to?  The ones that are intended to distinguish a real person from a robotic programme, sometimes a mix of letters and numbers, sometimes all numbers?  Or do you mean eBay is asking you to generate your own security code to gain entry?  

These would presumably represent two different concerns. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Every day you learn something new. I had to look up what CAPTCHA was!

Yes and it is and it is just 6 digits, all numbers so far.

I am supposed to copy from the `60s style`swirly letters that sort of overlap and are all oddball shaped (to defeat bots from figuring them out).

I`ve been tempted to type it in wrong to see what happens but then again I don`t want to lose the rest of the day on the phone to get myself re-instated.....

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Are you positive these are coming from Ebay?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Yep.

If it was something bad, it would be asking me for something of mine, like my ebay password or something. All it asks for is the code it gave me....

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I haven't listed anything on .com today but haven't been asked for the captcha so far when I'm on there.  Have you tried the old sometimes fix all method by clearing cache and history?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Did not ask me.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I've been flipping back and forth between id's and have yet to encounter this verification code....

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I was asked today for the first time. On .com.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I am currently listing on .com and constantly switch back and forth.  I usually have .ca and .com open all the time.  I haven't been asked yet, I'll let you know when I do.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Interestingly, I never got it again yesterday after I posted this..... will see what happens today!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I've forgotten to update this, have been getting it sporadically, a couple times a day.

Today, although I typed what it showed it told me it was wrong and gave me another one to type in, so by accident I did the experiment to see what happens if one doesn't put the number in right....
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

It would be interesting to know what provokes it, I only saw it maybe once this morning, but about 5 times in a row this afternoon....
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I still haven't seen it although when you originally mentioned it a few US sellers posted about the same problem.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply