Right Address & Postal Code but Wrong Prefix

One of those days...Was in the middle of sending out a package and ran out of ink from printer so I had to write the customer’s address by hand. It’s going to southwestern Ontario but the street name was the same name as a very popular road in Toronto and now remember writing “Road” instead of “Ave”. Usually I triple check but was in a massive rush. The unit number, the street name and postal code are all correct. Is this going to cause a delay? Or will it be okay because the postal code is correct?
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The only person (or machine) that looks at anything other than the Postal Code is the carrier and even then all they really care about is the street/unit number.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thank you! 🙂
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Literacy and being able to climb stairs while carrying a 50lb sack for up to eight hours are in the job description.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Yeah, don't sweat it. I once received a letter addressed: Al, Pink house, Naramata, BC. No postal code at all!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

We got an Xmas card a couple days ago:

Wrong post office box number

Wrong street name

Wrong Village name

Wrong postal code.

And it still found us......

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@wicks-n-suds 

If the system picks up on some kind of conflict often they will confirm and correct. Maybe 1 or 2 day delay. Example. Street address + PO Box. They matched(noted in tracking details) to the postal code which was connected to PO Box. If they didn't catch and their happens to be a Street and a Road with the same name there is a possibility for a miss-sort. Really depends on how on the ball the carrier is.

-Lotz

PS. For your own peace of mind you may want to google maps just to confirm.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@ricarmic 

And in time for Orthodox Christmas! 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I think it depends on the postie. Two years ago I sent out a Christmas card and put Ci for circle, everything else was correct. Got sent back twice before being delivered. Tried cir, then circle, which I guess was the winning word. Finally got delivered. It was going to a big city, here my postie would be able to deliver with just my name, no address.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Yep I was lucky because the incorrect postal code was "one post office over" and still in the country, actually even more rural than mine!

Plus the postie there has covered in my PO from time to time, so they likely recognized the name, the posties here know all us online sellers, we keep the little POs open!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@wicks-n-suds wrote:
One of those days...Was in the middle of sending out a package and ran out of ink from printer so I had to write the customer’s address by hand. It’s going to southwestern Ontario but the street name was the same name as a very popular road in Toronto and now remember writing “Road” instead of “Ave”. Usually I triple check but was in a massive rush. The unit number, the street name and postal code are all correct. Is this going to cause a delay? Or will it be okay because the postal code is correct?

Recent order to small town north of Montreal....Town name shown is Prevost.....Should be Prévost/rue was also omitted. Minor typos in the scheme of things. Customer has had an eBay account since 2006. Just noticed there was a an exception message. When I checked using the Postal Code tool. It updated as noted above.

CP Label.JPG

So they do catch them from time to time.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It odd but I find that very few coin buyers in Quebec use rue or any sort of street ‘type’ in their address...it’s usually just the street number and name.  It hasn’t ever caused a problem that I’m aware of.    

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It odd but I find that very few coin buyers in Quebec use rue or any sort of street ‘type’ in their address...it’s usually just the street number and name.  It hasn’t ever caused a problem that I’m aware of.    

I have added Rue etc  manually in the past if I happen to notice an omission to confirm my curiosity(If it's with 100% certainty). In this case it was a buyer that purchases regularly and had been around for years. You would be under the impression they have had all their ducks in a row. What can happen with some buyers is multiple confirmed addresses with slight variances and clicking on the wrong 1 in error.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your replies! The package got to the customer without incident.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply