Still having problems with combined shipping

I thought the problem with combined shipping was fixed, but today, yet again, a buyer purchased 3 item without asking for a combined shipping invoice. When I explained that I couldn't refund the whole of the extra payment as I had to pay fees on the shipping cost. I explained to her how to put the items in her cart and then ask for an invoice. This is her reply. I did put the items in the cart and request an invoice but got the message from eBay that you do not do combined shipping and it would not send the request. I finished the purchase the only way that was allowed.

I have always allowed combined shipping, and my setting are correct, but obviously this is still happening.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@triber wrote:

The problem has been in both cases when the buyer was told that I don't combine shipping, they paid anyway and then expect a refund on the cost. I have no way of contacting them before they pay unless they contact me first.

@triber 

@flyhooks4less 

tyler@ebay 

This is why the previous box for adding specific seller instructions that has now been removed was so important. The majority of buyers do not read the entire listing. The box made this information stand out to a buyer so they could message you PRIOR to payment and a seller avoiding any non refunds for FVF's and keeping the customer happy.

-Lotz

Unfortunately there are a multitude of situations that do not always either permit a seller to send a revised invoice or a buyer to request 1. Sadly there is ZERO consistancy with this crutial requirement.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

marnotom!
Community Member

Was your buyer trying to use the cart on the .ca or the .com site?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Not sure, I only sell on .com but the buyer is in Canada.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

My brother (as Buyer) had the same problem earlier this year when he went to pay (for items that he had asked the Seller about combined shipping before bidding).  The workaround that I came up with was to contact the Seller via questions and ask for a combined invoice. My brother was able to pay the invoice the Seller provided.

Buyer on .CA for seller on .com

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Check with the buyer and suggest they try the other site’s cart and Checkout. See if that works. That way you’ll be able to find out where the problem lies.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

That could be done only if the buyer was able to commit to buy each item without paying.  eBay puts a forced immediate payment required stipulation on some listings so the buyer doesn't have the option to commit to buy.  If they can't commit to buy then the seller can't invoice them because the item hasn't been sold yet.

Irealize tgat you already know that..just posting for those who don't. 🙂

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The problem has been in both cases when the buyer was told that I don't combine shipping, they paid anyway and then expect a refund on the cost. I have no way of contacting them before they pay unless they contact me first.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@triber wrote:

@triber 

@flyhooks4less 

tyler@ebay 

This is why the previous box for adding specific seller instructions that has now been removed was so important. The majority of buyers do not read the entire listing. The box made this information stand out to a buyer so they could message you PRIOR to payment and a seller avoiding any non refunds for FVF's and keeping the customer happy.

-Lotz

Unfortunately there are a multitude of situations that do not always either permit a seller to send a revised invoice or a buyer to request 1. Sadly there is ZERO consistancy with this crutial requirement.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I hear you 100% and it is not right. I have been on the buying end ans selling end of this issue. It states seller doesn't offer combined shipping and is a nightmare for the seller as it cost them business. 

Lately, my girlfriend has been having lots of issues since the end of January with combined shipping getting this message a few times, and more frequently, listing and stating combined shipping and then when a byer buys and pays for 3 or 4 items on one invoice it doesn't combine?? 

She has called eBay a few times and they say oh its all fixed now and then a couple days later the same thing. Luckily it has not happened to my account but I think it is due to updates they are doing with this new eBay managed payments (although they haven't claimed any fault) as its been since the end of January for her.

Good luck and if you find out more post here. I'll do the same.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I just had the same problem today.  I list on .ca, buyer is in Canada but may have purchased on .com.

She got the message too that I do not combine shipping. She tried purchasing both by putting items in cart and by using Buy it Now.

Neither option would let her request an invoice from me so she ended up purchasing each separately and paying shipping on both items.

Managed payment now has an option for Refunds with choices of reasons for refund, Shipping Discount being one of them.  I am hoping that I will have my fees for that amount refunded but I certainly wouldn't bank on it.  I guess I should call ebay to find out.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I have since been informed that fvf are not refunded for partial refund.

Ebay should fix the "seller doesn't combine shipping" because they are forcing buyers to buy separately and then seller has to refund - so ebay has us coming and going. Plus, not all buyers are as willing to go through the whole mess like my today's buyer was. She was afraid she was being a ditz but I informed her that she wasn't the ditz.

Anyhow, sounds almost criminal act by ebay (my post may be removed - or worse).

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I just had the same problem yesterday with three seperate orders.  I list on .ca, buyers were all in Canada.

They got the message too that I do not combine shipping. They also tried purchasing items  by putting them in the cart and by using Buy it Now.

Neither option would let them request an invoice from me so the buyers ended up purchasing each item  separately and paying shipping on both items.  Its getting frustrating. I had to issue three seperate refunds.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

This happens to me regularly and at random.

I list on .com. Buyers can be .ca or .com, though I have not kept track as to which buyers (one site or both) have problems with requesting an invoice.

I know that I lose business due to this. Some buyers just go ahead and buy multiple items/shipping costs for each.

I'm positive, that others who get to the part where "seller does not combine shipping" (which I have always done) abandon their purchases.

Some can buy and request an invoice no problem - it seems totally random.

eBay needs to fix this.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I had a buyer purchase two items yesterday. They didn’t request combined shipping and one item was purchased in Cdn $ and one in US $ so I didn’t think I could combine anyway. I just mailed as 2 separate items. Combining shipping would have been minimal cost savings anyway. Canadian shipping address and items were (I think) purchased  on .ca. Most of the time I have no problems with combined shipping, at least from my US buyers; it seems to be a problem mostly for Canadian or overseas buyers.

I do wish it could be fixed. I wonder how many sales we are really losing due to this?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@rehautala 

In the past when ebay has been asked about the 'seller does not combine shipping' message in the cart, they've replied that in certain situations that message will come up such as when the sellers requires immediate payment, at least one of the items has free shipping or when at least one of the items is on sale.  They've said that the best way to handle problems like this is for the seller to set up their combined shipping options.

This has been going on for years and they don't seem interested when a seller states that none of the above was the problem in that situation so basically the cart is working as they want it to.   I believe that they want  to push sellers to set their listings up so that a buyer can add items to the cart and the shipping is already combined.  This is really difficult to do if you are selling items of various sizes and weights  but since you sell mainly or all stamps, combined shipping shouldn't be that difficult to set up and would likely result in more multiple sales because the combined shipping costs were set up front. It takes some time to do at first but once set up it should be worthwhile.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply