Canada Post price inceases

Just got this email about price increases for Canada Post.

Changes to our pricing take effect on Monday, September 12, 2022.

The price changes include:

A 4% increase in the weighted average price for commercial customers using Domestic parcel service.

A 1.4% increase in the weighted average price for commercial customers using USA/International parcel service.

Priority™ Worldwide price increases that take effect on Monday, January 9, 2023.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@triber wrote:

A 4% increase in the weighted average price for commercial customers using Domestic parcel service.

A 1.4% increase in the weighted average price for commercial customers using USA/International parcel service.

Priority™ Worldwide price increases that take effect on Monday, January 9, 2023.

Curious to know how often this one (highlighted) gets passed on to customers without them realizing?

Option and surcharge changes

Shipping option rate and surcharge increases include:

Signature will increase from $1.75 to $2.00.
Liability Coverage (up to $100) for Regular Parcel™ will increase from $2.25 to $2.50.
Additional Liability Coverage will increase from $2.25 to $2.50.
Manual document surcharge will increase from $1.50 to $2.00.
Non-manifested item surcharge will increase from $1.50 to $2.00.

Thinking stamps on box peoples? Personally never considered because I process parcels prior to arriving at post office.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Such a joke, with the fuel surchage CP has a continual rolling price increase.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Whether or not any of these CP shipping increases would/will affect any of my shipments in the near future, I have already raised my shipping costs to include fuel surcharges, so any of these forthcoming CP shipping  increases will be added to selling price of item...there is no other way for me to work with these ridiculous shipping costs as I have no access to other cheaper shipping carriers. . I am thankful that I am not a business who relies on online selling for a livlihood...

as a hobby seller, a sale here, a sale there just puts a few extra dollars in a bank account to spend on whatever I so desire...

For myself, CP shipping rates are actually more of a concern than eBay's fees...

I am thankful that I list on 2 other selling sites, both of which have somewhat less fees than eBay...

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Such a joke, with the fuel surchage CP has a continual rolling price increase.

To my mind these frequent rate increases is very poor judgment on CP's part. The more unreasonable shipping gets, the less peope will purchase. Decreasing revenue even more. Unless their motivation is that we have limited alternate options and will be forced to eat(write off) these increases. Either way they are shooting themselves in the foot.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@triber wrote:

Curious to know how often this one (highlighted) gets passed on to customers without them realizing?

Option and surcharge changes

Shipping option rate and surcharge increases include:

Signature will increase from $1.75 to $2.00.
Liability Coverage (up to $100) for Regular Parcel™ will increase from $2.25 to $2.50.
Additional Liability Coverage will increase from $2.25 to $2.50.
Manual document surcharge will increase from $1.50 to $2.00.
Non-manifested item surcharge will increase from $1.50 to $2.00.

Thinking stamps on box peoples? Personally never considered because I process parcels prior to arriving at post office.

-Lotz

I don't know what a manual document surcharge is but I'm sure that it has nothing to do with stamps on a parcel otherwise  someone here would have mentioned it before. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

This CPC page found with a Google search is ancient, but I doubt the definition of a Canada Post manual document has changed significantly:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/rates/parcels_changes_2013_en.pdf
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

It relates to customers that ship in volume using a manifest system. See pages 26/51 for reference.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/doc/en/support/customer-guide/amalgamated-parcel-services...

@marnotom! It went up in 2021 also.

Was a new one on me when I saw on the rate change announcement. Where I worked in Wpg in 80ies/90ies we used a manifest system but there was no charge for that back then. Now....Everything is extra!!! 

-Lotz

Like how tagging on dot com gets you a message to personal email but crickets on dot ca. 

As a side note if you process a package at the counter with your SSB card you will pay a premium for the service vs creating/printing at home. Only learned this when I had a parcel returned when customer provided a bad address and had to pay to retrieve.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Well, fuel surcharges should  (they better) start coming down in Sept since gas prices have been dropping for the last few weeks.  So that will help offset yet another price increase from  CP a bit.  

I agree.  The more they charge the less business they get, just like any other retailer. 

Pretty much everyone is fed up with seeing prices increase every few days (i'm talking all prices in general, not Canada Post).  There is way too much gouging going on.......corps taking advantage of the situation to pad profits.   Time to start boycotting the worst offenders; unless there bottom line gets hurt, they won't change their behviour.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

For those of you that have been utilizing the flat rate boxes amidst the soaring fuel surcharges, thankfully there isn't much of a change there. Small and Medium going up by 50 cents, and Large staying the same price.

Other notable increases relevant to those who utilize Canada Post flat rate services include a $1.75 increase on Small Regional Xpresspost Bubble Envelopes ($15.05 to $16.80). If you regularly use these I would stock up before Sept. 12.

IMG_0005 2.JPG

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

September's prices are out now. The fuel surcharge is dropping from 37% to 28.5% on September 5th! 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

.... The fuel surcharge is dropping from 37% to 28.5% on September 5th! 

Down 8.5% for Canada. 

USA/International packet and parcel will be down 4.75%

It is worth noting that Canada Post is making another change to the fuel surcharge. 

It will now be adjusted weekly instead of monthly.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/sending/rates-dimensions/fuel-surcharges-on...

-|-

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I for one will be leaving my shipping prices as they are until October and then if the fuel surcharges keep decreasing, I shall lower my shipping costs accordingly....

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Uggh as a stamps on the box kinda guy, changing the rate weekly quadrupled the number of times I have to write up my special sheet with the most used rates....the usual plus US 100, 250g and International small packet rate code 2 (which is most of western europe).

It's only a few minutes but it seems every time I turn around the general time required to ship stuff is slowly creeping upwards......sigh.....

PS THX for sharing!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Fuel going up Monday with the new weekley rates so make sure to print your labels Sunday night!

September 12, 2022 - September 18, 2022:

Domestic Services   31.50%
USA and International Parcel Services   19.00%
USA and International Packet Services   17.00%
PriorityTM Worldwide   23.50%

September 5, 2022 - September 11, 2022:

Domestic Services  28.50%
USA and International Parcel Services  17.50%
USA and International Packet Services  15.50%
PriorityTM Worldwide  21.25%
Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Another slight increase for next Monday.

Screenshot 2022-19 Fuel surcharges.png

Monday, September 19 will be a one time federal holiday and Canada Post will be closed. 

Retail postal outets will be open in some provinces.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

My friendly CP counter person warned me about this, since I usually use 2-3 small Regional Xpresspost bubbles every month for my small shipments - and they almost always sell out! They've definitely been a huge money saver for me, and a massive money loser for CP, because it's considerably cheaper than the small flat rate box I have to use to ship nationally.  I was expecting the increase soon, but not over 10% of a hike! 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Fuel surcharge for September 26 will decrease 1.50% for domestic and down 0.75% for USA/Int'l

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

thus far not a significant enough decrease for me to alter downward my current shipping prices..will leave my shipping prices in place as are currently, until I see what November brings..

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Fuel surcharge going up for next week, a fairly large jump from this currecnt week, so make sure to print labels on Sunday!

October 24, 2022 - October 30, 2022:

Domestic Services    33.50%
USA and International Parcel Services    20.00%
USA and International Packet Services    18.00%
PriorityTM Worldwide    23.25%

October 17, 2022 - October 23, 2022:

Domestic Services  29.50%
USA and International Parcel Services  18.00%
USA and International Packet Services  16.00%
PriorityTM Worldwide  22.00%
Message 20 of 21
latest reply