Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

33nhl
Community Member

Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

Well sadly its now a reality anyhting sent regular mail to USA as we once did will be returned back to you with the following lables attached to the bubble mailer as now that so called regular mail cheap method of sending sport cards or other small itesm will have to be sent as Small Packets and cost from under $4.00 will now be double to $8-$10

So what buyer is going to purchase a $2.00 hockey card and then see that they have to pay $9.00 for shipping.

Hopefully Ebay Canada reps are in sinc and try to help in some way other wise they will be seeing less low end items being offered or sold on Ebay Canada

I know the rule existeded and now Canada Post is enforcing it and you be very lucky if a package now slips through the system as it once did.

Maybe this is why Ebay come March 30 is increasing selling fees as they know they will be seing less low end items listed sold thus they are going to recover on the higher end items by increasing the final value selling fee.20220221_155736.jpg 

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

You are selling "GOODS" and this is about the US system now being enforced...

...Canada Post can do nothing about it.

EVERYTHING other than "letter and documents" will be considered "good" and will have to be shipped as "small packets".

Your patterns are "Goods" not "letters or documents" and that is why they are coming back, if you "sold" it, it's considered "goods".

They are applying the UPU rules...

Message 61 of 134
latest reply

NO, some of us are NOT "blind" to what has been stated as "facts"...

Some of us have been stating our interactions, advices,recommendations/experiences with  Canada Post employess/Canada Post outlets...and I shall say it again..it's about the intrepetation of the policies and those apparently were not/are not even clear to the Canada Post employees...

Yes, years ago it was known that "goods" could not be mailed as oversize lettermail outside of Canada, but printed matter was and continues to be a grey area/a disputable area that was & never has been distinctly ruled within that policy and certainly not within Canada Post itself.

I personally have no problem sending the printed matter materials as small packet> I don't ship anything outside of North America, so my prices only have to be adjusted for the USA and the buyers will have to deal with it...their choice...75% of my buyers are from Canada so I doubt there will be little impact for me...

Message 62 of 134
latest reply

"but printed matter was and continues to be a grey area/a disputable area that was & never has been distinctly ruled within that policy and certainly not within Canada Post itself."

Completely untrue, if you "Sold" the item it is considered "GOODS" and has to be declared and shipped as such...

...and it is not CANADA POST it's the UPU who sets the rules.

You are shipping a POSTAL ITEM not a letter or a document, but a small packet containing "Goods" which you sold as "goods" on an e-commerce merchandise website.

The rules are very clear if you actually read them...

You seem to be in denial as to the fact you are selling "goods" and you are using the words "printed matter" to condone your circumventing the rules...

The following is from the Canada Post site in regards to Letter Post to the USA where do you see the words "Printed Matter" mentioned anywhere on the Canada Post website in regards to shipping to the USA?!

TOPIC

Letter-post

Last updated: June 14th, 2021 

Acceptable items

Print this page

Items acceptable for the Letter-post service include:

• Items made of paper or other material with the general characteristics of paper (for example, photographs)
  • Paper enclosures that meet the requirements for Letter-post (U.S. and International)

Unacceptable items

Print this page

Items unacceptable for the Letter-post service include:

• Small packets
  • Goods
  • Film, audio, or video recordings (for example, diskettes, CDs, or DVDs)
  • Unsealed self-mailers and envelopes
  • Items prohibited by law or defined as dangerous goods in Canada or in the destination country (see Non-mailable matter or International destination listing for more information)

Items unacceptable when attached to a postcard include:

• Photographs
  • Cuttings of any kind
  • Fold-back sheets
  • Other items that stick out or are in raised relief

Postal Items are "letters" and everything else you are not selling letters, you are selling "goods"...

Message 63 of 134
latest reply

whatever, mr know-it-all who has never worked for Canada Post, USPS,UPU or any other Postal system.

Message 64 of 134
latest reply

Again taken from the Canada post site in regards to customs declarations on all items to the USA

Required customs documentation

Print this page

All services  

Online transactions

You can produce labels using Electronic Shipping Tools (EST) or a customer-developed or third-party shipping system. You must also complete a Customs Declaration CN22 or CN23, depending on the value of the item. 

At the post office (automated only)

The post offices RPS system prints an indicia and a barcoded label, which we use in combination with a 43-074-253 CN22 Customs Declaration for items with a declared value of less than CAN$500. For items with a declared value of over CAN$500, you must complete and affix Customs Declaration 43-074-172. 

Priority™ Worldwide

• Document
    • Priority Worldwide shipping label (43-074-277)
  • Non-document
    • Commercial Invoice or Invoice Declaration (33-081-002)

Xpresspost™ – USA

• Xpresspost - USA Shipping Label 43-074-281 
  • Xpresspost - USA shipping label 43-074-236 (includes the Customs Declaration) 

Xpresspost™ – International

• Xpresspost - International shipping label 43-074-244 (includes the Customs Declaration) 

Tracked Packet™ – USA, Tracked Packet™ – International, and Small Packet™

• 43-074-253 (includes the Customs Declaration - CN22). For items with a declared value of over CAN$500, you must also complete and affix a Customs Declaration - 43-074-172. 

Expedited Parcel™ – USA

• Expedited Parcel-USA shipping label – 43-074-243 (includes the Customs Declaration)

International Parcel (Air or Surface)

• International Parcel shipping label – 43-074-172 (includes the Customs Declaration)

Letter-post (includes letters, postcards, and Literature for the Blind)

• Documents of no monetary value 
    • No customs documentation required

The ONLY thing you can ship to the USA without customs documentation is Documents of no monetary value...

...the items you are "selling" have a "monetary" value, you sold them they are "Goods" you see it's not a "Gray Area" it's very clear and well explained.

Message 65 of 134
latest reply

Customs declaration

Print this page

All mail containing merchandise must have a customs declaration form completed when sending the item to the U.S. or an international destination (see Completing customs documents). The customs declaration is part of our shipping label and also includes the addressee and sender names and addresses.

It’s your responsibility to make sure you provide all customs documentation and item content information and certificates for the goods you ship.

You must also make sure that the documentation and information is complete, accurate, and legible. Failure to do so may cause us to return the item to the sender at your expense. It could also result in delays, non-delivery, voided guarantees, or fines or customs seizure in the international destination (if applicable).

If you "Sold" it on eBay it's "Goods" aka "merchandise" and is not "Letter Mail"

Message 66 of 134
latest reply

we are all happy that you can read and have the desire to share your ability to copy & paste and share your knowledge over AND OVER AND OVER, ROVER...

Message 67 of 134
latest reply

...denial runs deep in your soul I think.

Cut and paste the rules in black and white as written from the source, so you have no excuse to not knowing what the exact RULES are...

...what they are not is "gray and unclear"

Message 68 of 134
latest reply

Sadly or unfortunately this is one of those cases for anyone concerned, where the rules have been in place forever, except not rigidly enforced. If you were sending something that in your opinion you thought was "paper" and was exempt you were taking a chance. Very similar to duty/taxes/processing being charged on incoming shipments with CP. Almost a lottery.

It would have been nice if there was something official from the Canada Post Corporation. Difficult to message anyone and everyone who does or doesn't have a CP account, but just the way it is or will be going forward.

For many it will mean updating your listings accordingly or you will be taking a major risk. If you are able to use something like Chit Chats...Bonus. Not everyone can or it's convenient. Personally, I've never taken spun that wheel. Will it decrease some sellers customer base or sales? Most likely. Until buyers know and see the pattern to shipping costs going forward and are willing to pay the extra. Similar to Canadian buyers choosing to use or not use GSP. 

Disclaimer you could add to your listings:

Unable to ship this item letter post internationally. According to current Canada Post guidelines it does NOT qualify. Must be shipped using a parcel service. Customs documentation IS required to ship.

-Lotz

Message 69 of 134
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

whatever, mr know-it-all who has never worked for Canada Post, USPS,UPU or any other Postal system.

Not a "mr know-it-all" but an informed, educated individual who is not living in "denial" and actually reads.

And, Careful, your true personality is starting to shine through!!

Message 70 of 134
latest reply

no denial here...but then denial of knowing that one is not in denial is denial...gotta love a good argument with those who are in denial of knowing others are not in denial..

Have a good one!

Message 71 of 134
latest reply

...you are correct you are not in "denial" you are lost in your imaginary world of "Printed Matter" as your justification to circumvent the rules in place for shipping certain "goods" to the USA.

As I said I have never sent an item via Letter Mail to the USA in all the years I have been on eBay, why? Because I read the rules that have been in place for years & the updates that followed.

Oh, And before that ran a few warehouses in logistics and shipping in the garment trade.

As if you know anything about me, BTW~

Message 72 of 134
latest reply

not worth the effort to discuss this matter further, especially with someone who has no connection to the original topic...

However, for the rest of us, we all know what we have to do...

Have a great day everyone!

Message 73 of 134
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

not worth the effort to discuss this matter further, especially with someone who has no connection to the original topic...

However, for the rest of us, we all know what we have to do...

Have a great day everyone!

This is NOT a PRIVATE MEMBERS CLUB, sweetie!

I, as can you, may post/reply to/on any topic one wishes, if it offends you that I post actual FACTS included in my replies for other people to inform themselves before jumping onto an imaginary "Printed Matter" echo chamber, then that says more about you, as do your posts on this subject.

You are selling "Goods" and not following the official rules, that is why your "Printed Matter" is being returned, you need to declare it for Customs and ship it as "Goods"

It is not Letter-Mail, even if you "assumed" it was...

Message 74 of 134
latest reply

The confusion for me is that I thought the best information would be twise directly from Canada Post and from my postal clerk. I told all three I was selling these items on eBay, all said it was okay to mail printed matter with lettermail, and I believed them. I thought listening to them would be the most accurate information, not one mentioned "goods"

Message 75 of 134
latest reply

The confusion is likely the result of the difference between Lettermail and Letterpost, the former is for sending within Canada the latter for International.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/lettermail/overview.page

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/letter-post/overview.page

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 76 of 134
latest reply

No matter how long your local postal clerk has worked at their job, or how much you trust their advice, I can assure you that they don't know all the rules to everything. The Retail Operations Manual for post offices is over 1,000 pages long and is incomplete.

I would say 95% of clerks who have worked at the job for more than a couple of months have a vague understanding of how things are supposed to work, and for the most part will go off of what they know has worked in the past. When asked to provide proof for something I can almost guarantee you that they will have no idea where to look for such documentation.

And remember, it's not the clerks that are making the final ruling on what can and can't be mailed; it's the folks significantly further down the line at Canada Post, customs, or even a foreign postal authority making the ultimate call. Take anything you are told by a Canada Post agent with a grain of salt and always do your own independent research.

Message 77 of 134
latest reply

Although there are those in this discussion who insisted on pushing and pushing the already known "facts"(mostly facts that we have known for years), we had been discussing how some sellers were having their items returned, others not, which indicates there is a difference of policy enforcement out there... and Yes, indeed some of us were following the direction of long time Canada Post employees/postal clerks, so that in itself indicates Canada Post is not relaying the proper/adequate information to its employees so that they in turn can factually inform us and others> their customers ... Not all persons who send mail outside of Canada have a computer and/or access to the Canada Post website to inform them of "the facts".

And again, we all know what we have to do going forward, and that means adjusting, adapting so that we can carry on!

Message 78 of 134
latest reply

This is why Canada Post has a website that very clearly explains ALL the rules for Letter-Post to the USA...

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/letter-post/overview.page

Message 79 of 134
latest reply

i don't have a problem with the concept that all 'goods', ie items sold for profit have to have a Customs form so they can be checked out by the Customs service of the buyer's country.  I get that.

What i have a major problem with is that a package that is the exact same size, weight and shape as something that can be shipped by lettermail, all of a sudden costs nearly 3 times as much to ship.  If CP can ship an oversized letter weighing up to 100 grams for $3.19 to the US, there is no reason they can't ship a 'package', the exact same size as an oversized letter up to 100 grams for $3.19.

In other words, reclassifying an item from lettermail to package does not justify any cost increase, let alone a nearly 3 fold cost increase.

Message 80 of 134
latest reply