Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

33nhl
Community Member

Well sadly its now a reality anyhting sent regular mail to USA as we once did will be returned back to you with the following lables attached to the bubble mailer as now that so called regular mail cheap method of sending sport cards or other small itesm will have to be sent as Small Packets and cost from under $4.00 will now be double to $8-$10

So what buyer is going to purchase a $2.00 hockey card and then see that they have to pay $9.00 for shipping.

Hopefully Ebay Canada reps are in sinc and try to help in some way other wise they will be seeing less low end items being offered or sold on Ebay Canada

I know the rule existeded and now Canada Post is enforcing it and you be very lucky if a package now slips through the system as it once did.

Maybe this is why Ebay come March 30 is increasing selling fees as they know they will be seing less low end items listed sold thus they are going to recover on the higher end items by increasing the final value selling fee.20220221_155736.jpg 

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

That's encouraging. When I took some knitting books to the post office I was told that they were fine. Sewing patterns however were not. So far no more returns.

Message 41 of 134
latest reply

Has anyone else not had knitting, crochet or other craft books returned? It is important to know so that we don't have to increase our shipping on these.

Message 42 of 134
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Has anyone else not had knitting, crochet or other craft books returned? It is important to know so that we don't have to increase our shipping on these.

The only pkgs I have had returned contained knitting and crochet patterns. They were all oversize letterpost and had cardboard stiffeners in them. I have not had any sewing patterns returned (so far). Mine go through Mississauga.

Message 43 of 134
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Is anyone seeing a pattern to type of items/packaging for items being returned. Are they bubble envelops, CB Mailers or Kraft envelops? With 1 or 2 pieces of CB for re-inforcement? Packages with inconsistent thicknesses?

I use kraft / brown recycled paper envelope with cardboard inside, whole envelope has perfectly even thickness (I sell comic books). I hand write letter addresses. I don't use bubble mailers unless I'm sending via small packet air. Never had anything returned so far aside from address errors on the buyers' end. But my sales have been quite low, and I have only mailed one book the past 4 weeks. I didn't get any feedback from the buyer so I have no idea if it's delivered successfully or being returned...

Message 44 of 134
latest reply

Thanks MsMaggie, I was hoping it was just sewing patterns. So far I haven't had any knitting or crochet patterns returned, but I haven't sold very much. It's so hard to know what to do. If zee-chan is having them returned, then we can all have them returned too. I have revised about half on mine with the higher shipping cost, I am not going to list more until we have a definate answer.

Message 45 of 134
latest reply

Sorry zee-chan didn't say she was having the books returned. Surely the problem can't be because of card stiffening, I only use that if the contents are very thin. I think Canada post need to put something definate on their web page.

Message 46 of 134
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Sorry zee-chan didn't say she was having the books returned. Surely the problem can't be because of card stiffening, I only use that if the contents are very thin. I think Canada post need to put something definate on their web page.

This is on the Canada Post website it was updated last year and is quite clear...

Overview

Letter-post is the most economical method of sending personal and business correspondence.

You mail Letter-post items in Canada for delivery outside (international) of Canada.

TOPIC

Letter-post

Last updated: June 14th, 2021 

Acceptable items

Print this page

Items acceptable for the Letter-post service include:

• Items made of paper or other material with the general characteristics of paper (for example, photographs)
  • Paper enclosures that meet the requirements for Letter-post (U.S. and International)

Unacceptable items

Print this page

Items unacceptable for the Letter-post service include:

• Small packets
  • Goods
  • Film, audio, or video recordings (for example, diskettes, CDs, or DVDs)
  • Unsealed self-mailers and envelopes
  • Items prohibited by law or defined as dangerous goods in Canada or in the destination country (see Non-mailable matter or International destination listing for more information)

Items unacceptable when attached to a postcard include:

• Photographs
  • Cuttings of any kind
  • Fold-back sheets
  • Other items that stick out or are in raised relief

Message 47 of 134
latest reply

I sell comic books.  Three pieces of corrugated cardboard tucked into a kraft envelope with the book. I am almost always under 200 grams and 2cm in thickness.  I send letter mail for 3.35 in the great white north and 5 something to those other guys.  I always address my own envelopes with my unique hand and so far have had not one unit sent back. I just hope that this won't change!  Good luck to all.  I guess a guy could limit sales to fellow Canadians but......

Message 48 of 134
latest reply

Brett, If I was mailing buttons and china I would mail them package rate, but we are taliking paper. I have called Canada Post twice and taken a couple of craft books to the post office and in each case I am told they are fine to mail lettermail, so WHY are they being returned?

If you look at the first post on the forum, there is lettermail shipping give for US and International up to 500 grams. What can possible be in package that heavy and still able to be mailed lettermail when our books, pamphlets and leaflets usually under 200 g are returned. One rep. on CP told me there was a limit to the number of pages, but she didn't know what that was! If CP doesn't know, how can we?

Message 49 of 134
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Brett, If I was mailing buttons and china I would mail them package rate, but we are taliking paper. I have called Canada Post twice and taken a couple of craft books to the post office and in each case I am told they are fine to mail lettermail, so WHY are they being returned?

Somebody has decided that you're shipping "goods".

Message 50 of 134
latest reply

I did tell the reps on Canada Post and my mail lady that I sell on eBay, so they must know I am selling goods. I guess I am going to have to phone again and see if I can speak to someone with more authority.

Message 51 of 134
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Have you always mentioned to the Canada Post reps that you sell on eBay when you ask about this?  I'm wondering if they're envisioning someone who just wants to send these things to friends and relatives in the United States rather than them being sold as goods.

Message 52 of 134
latest reply

I told them all these were from me selling on eBay. My postal clerk has known this for years.

Message 53 of 134
latest reply

and that is the way it has been for me also...Years ago when I was putting the green customs stickers on the envelopes because I thought I had to declare these items bering sold on eBay, and was told paper goods were fine, and it didn't matter whether I was selling these items, it was printed matter and no need for sending any way different than regular oversize lettermail categories, no need to declare the contents...and that same postal worker is still working the outlet where I take the majority of my outgoing mailings...

Message 54 of 134
latest reply

Your postal clerk is badly out of the loop. Although the enforcement of this is "new" the policy has been in effect since 2005.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 55 of 134
latest reply

Like anything, it's all about " interpretation", and obviously Canada Post policies like many of eBay's policies, much is left to "interpetation" of these policies>>>some things are NOT crystal clear...

Message 56 of 134
latest reply

It was interesting that my postal clerk said that sewing patterns could not go lettermail because they were not printed matter, which seems to be what you were saying about printed matter being okay.

Message 57 of 134
latest reply

Other than a couple of sewing patterns that were acquired along with a large lot of knitting/crochet patterns over the years, I have never been involved with selling sewing patterns(never had the interest) so 99.9% of my "printed matter" materials are the knitting & crochet patterns and magazines, occasionally cross stitch patterns & other crafting printed materials & magazines...

Message 58 of 134
latest reply

I have sold a couple of craft books today, the shipping I had was lettermail, (I haven't had time to update the postage on them all) so I will mail them lettermail and hope for the best.

Message 59 of 134
latest reply

You are "Selling" them on a commercial website, which means they are considered "GOODS" and have to have a custom form and shipped as "merchandise" that is what it says, the fact they are paper is irrelevant.

They are "Goods", not documents or letters...

You are Selling them for a profit, they are commercial items, goods, merchandise, that is why you are getting them back...

They have to be declared for US Customs and have to go as Small Packets, yes you can use other services to take them over the border, but that will be targeted next by Gov...

Facts that you all seem to be "blind" to, judging by the comments on here.

Unacceptable items

Print this page

Items unacceptable for the Letter-post service include:

• Small packets
  • Goods
  • Film, audio, or video recordings (for example, diskettes, CDs, or DVDs)
  • Unsealed self-mailers and envelopes
  • Items prohibited by law or defined as dangerous goods in Canada or in the destination country (see Non-mailable matter or International destination listing for more information)

If you are selling them for a profit, they are all considered "GOODS" no matter what they are, maps, hockey cards, patterns, prints, arrowheads, everything other than letters and documents...

Patterns do not fall into either category, you are selling GOODS! 

Message 60 of 134
latest reply