Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

33nhl
Community Member

Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

Well sadly its now a reality anyhting sent regular mail to USA as we once did will be returned back to you with the following lables attached to the bubble mailer as now that so called regular mail cheap method of sending sport cards or other small itesm will have to be sent as Small Packets and cost from under $4.00 will now be double to $8-$10

So what buyer is going to purchase a $2.00 hockey card and then see that they have to pay $9.00 for shipping.

Hopefully Ebay Canada reps are in sinc and try to help in some way other wise they will be seeing less low end items being offered or sold on Ebay Canada

I know the rule existeded and now Canada Post is enforcing it and you be very lucky if a package now slips through the system as it once did.

Maybe this is why Ebay come March 30 is increasing selling fees as they know they will be seing less low end items listed sold thus they are going to recover on the higher end items by increasing the final value selling fee.20220221_155736.jpg 

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: Ebay Canada needs to address with packages being returned by Canada Post

@jt-libra 

That's worth it's own post, because the customers may have expectations.

But I do sell postcards and for those I use a postcard slip / cover sleeve

http://www.unitradeassoc.com/Stampacc.htm#cover

or a 202

http://www.unitradeassoc.com/Dealeracc.htm

tape it to a stiffener of cardboard or corplast and mail in a paper envelope.

I buy envelopes when I am thrifting, so they tend to be an assortment , but I do buy printed address labels with my eBay IDs on them.

Again. sportscard buyers may have expectations of loaders for protection -- certainly after a certain value.

Message 101 of 134
latest reply

Thanks femme.  I really appreciate that information.  In some of the boxes I found plastic sleeves but I wasn't sure where to order them.  The couple of places I looked I didn't think were suitable.  So your post really helps me.

As far as your last comment, of course I would be willing to pack differently if the value of the card was  higher.  Listen to me .... I haven't sold anything, and I'm presuming that I will be selling cards of value ... lol.  Actually I know many of his cards are very valuable and a couple of dealers are anxious to get their hands on them.  I wouldn't mind selling some of them locally; however, I have the time to work on eBay.  A person I know who used to sell cards told me to stay away from those particular dealers -- they wouldn't give me a fair price.  If he was still in the business, he would handle my cards, but that's alright ... I don't mind learning something new.

Message 102 of 134
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

A question ... I plan to start a new selling site for sports cards.  My brother sadly passed away recently and he was a major collector.  Could someone please advise how these cards can be shipped without risk of damage (bending) and still comply with Canada Post regs for documents.  I see that other card sellers ship by lettermail to the U.S.  ... still.  So I'm assuming that they're being shipped as documents.  Am I wrong?

Sports cards are something I have no experiencee with. That said, over the years I have sold and still am selling a lot of collectible postcards and antique photographs to customers around the world. Seems to me sports cards and postcards should have a lot in common as far as lettermail shipping is comcerned.

To protect postcards and smaller photos such as cdvs and snapshots they are first placed in a high quality  plastic sleeve, the acid free archival type.  The sleeved card is then placed in a boxboard pouch.

Those I manufacture myself out Coke cases, soft drink cases are preferred as the boxboard used is thinner, lighter and tougher than the cereal box board. A 12 pack case yields 4 pouches. Using a simple cutting board with pre-measued guide lines I can cut up enough soft drink cases to make a hundred pouches in 15 minutes or so. The Coke ones are easy to work with as they already have corners that fold over to make a nice pouch, if accurately cut all that's needed to construct the finished product is to fold them with the printed side hidden, and then tape the sides and bottom with cheap packing tape.

Cereal boxes work well too but it is necessary to score 1 side so the board can be folded over, it works but takes slightly more time and effort. Even the large family size yield only 2 pouches large enough for postcrds. I also use them to protect larger items.

The pouches are made large enough so as the sleeved contents comfortably slip into the pouch with space to spare on all sides. The Coke cases are great, because of the way they are manufactured they provide a reinforced and ready made bottom edge.

The pouches made of Coke cases are light enough that 1 or 2 postcards placed in one weigh less than 30 grams allowing them to mail domestically with a P stamp.

My experience has been that up to 4, sometimes even 5 postcards can be slipped into a single pouch and still qualify (maximum thickness) for standard Domestic lettermail under 50 grams. 

I have been using white paper announcement style envelopes large enough to accept Continental size postcards. They measure 5 x 6.5 inches. For years now I have been printing the shipping and return address directly onto the envelope. In the past I've used slightly smaller envelopes of the same type, those are 4.25 x 6.25, they're fine for standard size cards.

Since CP started their recent enforcement I've stopped writing Do Not Bend on international Letter-Post mail and have also stopped displaying the ebay VAT paid code on the face of envelopes. To date, this hasn't caused any problems. It seems they are passing through fine.

So, far so good, I've had no returns of postcards or photographs (cdvs) that were mailed Letter-Post USA or International using 5 x 6.5 inch plain white envelopes as described above.

I may try mailing a couple 9 x 12 cabinet photos packed in oversize flat rigid mailers just to see how Canada Post reacts to those. From what I have read here it doesn't seem likely that they will be allowed to cross borders without a customs declaration.

Message 103 of 134
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

I have a feeling that eBay Canada is going to drop the USA/international letterpost options for listing purposes sometime in the future, which means that sellers who still want to ship that way will have to opt for the generic flat-rate options.  ...

I think that will only happen if Canada Post asks ebay.ca to do so.

Yes, that's what I had in mind while I was typing that, but I neglected to articulate that. Given that Canada Post and eBay have a business relationship, I can't see them not making this request to eBay.

Message 104 of 134
latest reply

Knew I shouldn't have given away all those old postcards! Actually, I do have some somewhere, I just can't find them! I mostly sell sewing and knitting patterns and they all started being returned to me last month and cost me a lot to re-mail them all. I guess all of us sewing pattern sellers have to now use only small packet to the US which costs almost as much as the item itself. No way to hide them and make them look like a letter. What really hurts is that now I am only about $5 away from getting my top rated seller status back again and not sure if that will happen now!

Message 105 of 134
latest reply

Wow, your instructions are very detailed and I'm sure a lot of people could benefit. I'm not sure about myself.  My first thought was where in the world would I get Coke cases since I don't drink canned drinks, but maybe from a recycling site. And I'm not very crafty, unfortunately.

But I do want to say that the items you sell are fascinating.  You would think I would have seen old photos like this on eBay, but I really haven't and I had no idea that there was such a big market for them.  I have never even seen any in my travels while shopping.  Congratulations! 

Message 106 of 134
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote: where in the world would I get Coke cases since I don't drink canned drinks.

I don't know, most of us have friends or family that are seriously addicted to their favourite drink. Maybe you know someone would save them for you.

Our daughter probably consumes a way more coke zero than she should, just as her mom did at that age. My bride finally kicked the habit years ago.

I like my shredded wheat for breakfast every morning, and the others in the house consume cereal regularly so there's no shortage of boxboard around here.

Message 107 of 134
latest reply

Having CP returning your patterns must be disappointing. Please don't throw away those old postcards, some can be quite valuable, it's just a matter of identifying them and connecting with the right buyers.

I've got a feeling I'm in the same situation as you are with your sewing patterns. My larger cabinet card photos have historically been sent Letter-Post USA oversize. Now that we have to use small packet USA I expect Americans will buy fewer of them unless they can be convinced to buy multiple items to knock the cost per item down.

Message 108 of 134
latest reply

I use file folders cut to envelope size Works Great for my cards

Message 109 of 134
latest reply

Perfect!!  Makes so much sense and that never crossed my mind.  I have tons of them.  Thank you.

Message 110 of 134
latest reply

Yup ... file folders are ideal too. Unfortunately I've not come across many free ones lately.
Message 111 of 134
latest reply

I totally understand your point.  I sell cosmetics in addition to DVD's and CD's, although I am just getting back into cosmetics and have a lot of items to list.  As a woman, if I purchased a mascara, or eyeliner, or an eyeshadow palette, which are not cheap items, I wouldn't be impressed to see it packaged in boxboard with a Shreddies or a coke logo on it.  I mean nothing disrespectful but the packaging of the item is part of the sale in my opinion.  There are items which would be perfectly fine in what you describe. 

Message 112 of 134
latest reply

It's one reason for using tissue paper and a pretty sticker as a first wrap before you stuff a used sweater into a ziplock bag and ship it in the cheapest possible way.

Message 113 of 134
latest reply

Well, this resolves my years long dilemma "should I go back to the letters to get more buyers?".  Beside the large items I also sell small ones, which would perfectly fit into a letter. The price difference is 3.19 vs 8.59 (USA) and  6.39 vs 11.50+ (intl.). This large price difference prevented me from offering "free shipping". ....  but after CPC started to enforce the "no goods allowed in letters" rule, it's not an option any more. 

A question to people selling paper or fabric goods:  if you not mention "Ebay" on the envelope, or put tax info the address, how the Canada Post will know you send a merchandise?    

Message 114 of 134
latest reply

BTW, why the price is so low? With this bubble mailer it should be an "oversized letter", and cost 3.19? 1.94 is for regular letter only, and as I know ALL bubble mailers are considered automaticallly to be oversized. Maybe that was the reason why it has been returned? 

Message 115 of 134
latest reply

I had not had any of my printed materials that were sent oversize letter rate to the USA returned for reason of not sending via Small Packet...and I have no idea how anyone would know what the contents were unless the envelope was opened. I chose to change to sending Small Packet rate as prevention for a return, as well as for other reasons. As a occasional/infrequent seller, I have no way of knowing how much of an impact this will have on selling to the USA. I sell on other other sites as well as eBay, so hopefully my Canadian customers will offset any potential loss of USA customers(I do not promote selling outside of Canada & USA.)

Message 116 of 134
latest reply

@38e_avenue 

Are you referring to the OPs attached photo? If so, you're right and you have good eyesight. I see that the bubble mailer does show $1.94 postage. That has to be an error by the post office since it is a printed CP label. Maybe that is why it was returned? Although I had some returned from Feb. myself and the postage was correct, they were returned when they were shipped letterpost instead of small Pkt.

Message 117 of 134
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

@38e_avenue 

Although I had some returned from Feb. myself and the postage was correct, they were returned when they were shipped letterpost instead of small Pkt.

Did they have any "Ebay" on it, or tax info? Or did they contain any plastic/metal parts?  

Message 118 of 134
latest reply

No, no eBay info and no tax info. They were going to the US. All hand written addresses too. And just paper inside.

Message 119 of 134
latest reply

Strange! So maybe it was too thick? I created a tool to verify the thickness. Very useful! They use something similar at the counter. 

Image1.jpg 

Message 120 of 134
latest reply