Signing up for Managed Payment, SIN# why?

amcdc79
Community Member

I don't have a store and my sales are fairly low so I'm sure that I'll be among the last of the sellers asked to sign up. 

A buddy of mine who does have a store was asked, and along with his financial information, ebay asked for his Social Insurance Number. Why?

Does ebay consider us to be employees? If so, what benefits do they offer other than paying us.

If I were to refuse to give my SIN# would I be asked to leave?

Lastly, come July, will PayPal no longer be on ebay? 

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Signing up for Managed Payment, SIN# why?

Does this apply to ebay.com too?

Message 61 of 82
latest reply

You would sign up for MP on your site of registration and give the info that they require.  So if you sign up for MP on .ca and plan on listing on .com, you don't need to give your SIN.

Does that answer your question?

Message 62 of 82
latest reply

I can confirm, your automated system as well as the customer service rep I was on the phone with insisted I needed to provide my SIN number in order to complete my account verification. Can you please explain why your help page and everything else, tells me that I don't need to provide my SIN but, when I've already completed the process, it gives me an error when I want to finalize the identification?

Message 63 of 82
latest reply

Yup, they'll definitly get your attention. Specially with a threat email saying if you don't sign up by X date, we'll remove all your listings from the platform. Oh and by the way until X date, we've suspended your ability to edit, list, or relist any of your listings.

Message 64 of 82
latest reply

Just ignore that part of the form.

Americans do not seem capable of grasping the concept of "not USA" and that all those "not USA" places have different laws.

Canadians only have to give our SIN to the government and to banks. 

Other entities can request it and we can acquiesce.

But we can certainly say "No".

Message 65 of 82
latest reply

No you are not required to use your SIN, but if your choose not to use your SIN you are then required to use a valid Passport or drivers license

Message 66 of 82
latest reply

I have not been required to give either.

I dont't have a driver's license, never have, and my passport has expired.

I do have a BC Identity card.

Message 67 of 82
latest reply

Are you on MP and did you provide your BC Identity Card?

Message 68 of 82
latest reply

I`m trying to create a listing for the first time but ebay keep asking my SSN or ATIN (I`m Canadian so I don`t have one)... even try my SIN# but it gives an error message "Something went wrong".
Anyone knows how to fix this ?

Message 69 of 82
latest reply

It sounds like you are trying to start a listing on .com rather than on .ca?  If you are Canadian you have to first sign up with managed payments on .ca.    Sellers now receive their funds through ebays Managed Payments instead of PayPal.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/getting-paid/submitting-updating-information-managed-payments?id=47...

Message 70 of 82
latest reply

Any updates on this? Blanking out the SIN field and clicking next produces error message "This field can't be left blank."

Message 71 of 82
latest reply

zzzyzygy
Community Member

I stopped selling on eBay because of this. eBay does not need a SIN, drivers license or passport number to process payments. That is an invasion of privacy. Bank branch and account information plus address to determine applicable sales taxes is sufficient.

Message 72 of 82
latest reply

Of course eBay doesn’t need a driver’s licence or passport number to process payments. It needs that information to confirm your identity.
Message 73 of 82
latest reply

pw46
Community Member

I am told that they require it so their bank can confirm identity with my bank when conducting transactions. To my knowledge PayPal has never asked for a SIN and I am concerned with this policy and will be looking for an alternative site to do business with if there is one.

Pat

Message 74 of 82
latest reply

That would be fine , however my registration is not complete and they are requiring my SIN. How do I enroll without providing my SIN.

thanks

Message 75 of 82
latest reply

@pw46 wrote:

That would be fine , however my registration is not complete and they are requiring my SIN. How do I enroll without providing my SIN.

thanks

Hi @pw46 - if you skipped the field it shouldn't be an issue (sometimes we'll ask for a driver's license or a passport if we need additional detail). If you entered gibberish in the field it will create an automatic fail and will kick your account into 'needs special review'. I can't help with that, I'm afraid, and you'll have to contact Customer support and have them file a ticket with their back-office group to get your registration flow reset. 

It will be a bit of a headache, but can be done!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 76 of 82
latest reply

007v1.1
Community Member
From what I understand eBay may ask you for your SIN but it is ILLEGAL for them to deny you any service because if that. Personally I opted out and I still get messages that my account needs me to update my SIN. Not cool.
Message 77 of 82
latest reply

I acutally strongly prefer managed payments. I like Paypal as well, and still use it for other things, but I definitely like what Ebay has done with MP. Our fees are somewhat lower as well also.

Message 78 of 82
latest reply

Then why on the phone with ebay did they say I had to give social insurance number.
Message 79 of 82
latest reply

You probably got a customer service rep located in the United States (where providing a Social Security Number is required for Managed Payments) who missed the memo on the different Canadian registration process.
Message 80 of 82
latest reply