After buying fr the US To CA will I BE charged more at drop off And if so can I pay with debit Card

redon-4172
Community Member

After buying fr the US To CA will I BE charged more at drop off And if so can I with  a debit card

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

The Canadian duty-free allowance for US imports is $150 and the tax -free allowance is $40.

If the seller is shipping directly (no GSP) you may pay duty on the item * and you will be paying GST/PST/HSP/QST if it is valued over $40.

If you purchased from a seller who used GSP shipping, you have already paid the applicable import fees.

If import fees do have to be collected, you can certainly use your debit or credit card at the PO counter. If the carrier comes to the door, I have noticed that Canada Post is now taking signatures again, so I would assume that they also accept card payments. They don't take cash.

*Duty does not apply at all to some categories of goods, and is usually very low (under 5% of sale price) on others. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

That deo3nds on the value on the item and the service that the seller used to send the item.  If it was shipped through ebays global shipping program, there will not be extra fees. If it was shipped another way, there may or may not be duty and tax to pay.

Hiw much was the item and how was it sent?