Bidding

mahno_21
Community Member

I am watching some bidding on eBay and I noticed that I can't see the highest bid even I refresh the page several times until the time is ending in the seconds and when I put my price suddenly I see lots of bids that happened even one day before. Also, I see some bidders that put their bids consistently with a higher price while nobody put a winner bid after them but still they increase their offer. Is it possible that those accounts are belong to the seller to bring the price up?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Sounds to me like you need to sit down and read how bidding works in general on eBay, then what you asked will make more sense...

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/bidding/bidding?id=4003&st=3&pos=1&query=All%20about%20bidding&inten...

Our articles below will help answer any questions you have about auctions and tell you everything you need to know about how to bid on items.

Automatic bidding

Stay ahead of the competition by setting up automatic bidding.

Retracting a bid

Find out how and when you can retract a bid if you make a mistake while bidding.

How reserve prices work

Discover how reserve prices on auctions work.

Responding to Second Chance Offers

If you aren't the winning bidder on an auction the seller may still send you a Second Chance Offer. Find out how these offers work, and how to respond.

Tips for winning auctions

Improve your chances of being the top bidder with our tips for winning auctions.

I see some bidders that put their bids consistently with a higher price while nobody put a winner bid after them but still they increase their offer.

That's the Automatic Bidding atwork.

Although some newbies who see only their high winning bid panic and increase their already winning maximum

You are seeing two bidding strategies.

The first is Automatic Bidding.

The high bidder put in their bid early.

They have a maximum bid, but only they and the eBay robots can see it.

What you see is one bid higher than the second highest maximum bid.

The strategy protects the bidder from "auctionfever".  They don't get carried away and exceed their budget.

They also may discourage "nibble bidders" who get tired or discouraged trying to beat a bidder who seems to be increasing the bid instantly.

It allows the bidder to get to bed at a reasonable hour and not hang over the keyboard at3am for that Australian auction to close.

Then there is Sniping.

The bidder may be hanging over the keyboard bidding frantically, but more likely they bid with an online service to put in their bid at the last nano-second.

This also defeats attempts to "shill" the auction. Don't worry about that right now.

Like Automatic Bidding, the bedtime and nibbling also come into play.

The basic strategy  being used, whatever the details, is Bid ONCE, Bid your MAXIMUM.

And often, Bid Late.

And no matter what, it is the HIGH bid that wins ,not the first or the last.