Questions about automatic bidding

A little confused as to how this works:

* If someone manually puts in their max bid by sniping at the last second, will the auto bid system set by another user have enough time to outbid the snipe bid?
* If 4 bidders have the exact same maximum bid, how will the automatic bid system choose between the 4?
* Thirdly, if there are multiple bidders with very high max bids, how will the system choose who gets the incremental bid? For eg. Current bid is $10. Someone snipes with $15 at the last moment, there are 2 auto bidders with higher maximum bids $20 and $30. Will the eBay auto bidding prioritize the $30 bidder and just increment the other $20 bid making the winning bid $22.5?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

* If someone manually puts in their max bid by sniping at the last second, will the auto bid system set by another user have enough time to outbid the snipe bid?

We're not talking seconds. We're talking nano-seconds. This is computer time not the slooooow human reaction

In any case, it's the highest bid at the time the given bid is accepted.

If the "max bid" is higher than the current high bidder's maximum, and is accepted, the max bid wins.

But if the existing High Bid has a maximum bid that is higher than Max Bid, then High Bid wins at one increment higher than Max Bid.

ie

The opening bid is $10.

I bid $100 and my High Bid shows as $10.

You snipe with your Max Bid of $50.

I win at $51, because my maximum is higher.

or

You snipe at $100.

I win at $100, because my maximum was first.

* If 4 bidders have the exact same maximum bid, how will the automatic bid system choose between the 4?

Time.

If there are multiple matching bids, the time to a fraction of a second becomes the tipping point.
And the speed of the various computers come into this. Which is why electronic sniping using a company with powerful machines is so popular.

* Thirdly, if there are multiple bidders with very high max bids, how will the system choose who gets the incremental bid?

High bid (Opening bid?)is $10 - There can't be a $20 bid and a $30 bid, because the $30 bid would automatically become the High Bid of $21 when placed.

The $20 bid is the underbid.

The $15 sniper would not have his bid accepted because it is too low.  It would make no difference to the winning high bid.

If the $15 sniper had time to bid $22, they would still lose because the High Bid would become $22 and the $30 bidder got a bargain. which was below his maximum.

All of which goes to repeat.

Bid once.

Know what you are willing to pay . (Don't forget there will be sales tax and shipping)

Bid your maximum

Don't get caught up in auction fever or waste time nibble bidding.

Bid late.

See what the current high bid is, but remember you can't see the maximum bid.

Late bidding is mostly to control possible shilling and to control your own emotional auction fever.

@jacobspeeds wrote:

* Thirdly, if there are multiple bidders with very high max bids, how will the system choose who gets the incremental bid? For eg. Current bid is $10. Someone snipes with $15 at the last moment, there are 2 auto bidders with higher maximum bids $20 and $30. Will the eBay auto bidding prioritize the $30 bidder and just increment the other $20 bid making the winning bid $22.5?

Hi @jacobspeeds! For your first question if the person that is auto bidding has a higher max bid than the person that is manually bidding than yes the auto bidder will normally win the auction.

For your second question on the 4 bidders have this exact same max bid the winning bid will go to the person who first set their maximum bid.

For your lat question the system is set up to have the person with the highest maximum bid to win the item by bidding higher than someone else maximum bid. 

@jacobspeeds wrote:

devon@ebayCan you answer this for him?  I don't think any of us have any idea.