VERY Excessive combined shipping charges

lindas9438
Community Member

Been on EBAY 12+ years.  NEVER had this happen before!  Bid on & won 13 pairs of earrings (costume jewlery).  Seller is 2 hours away.  Total purchase is $12.87.  COMBINED shipping (via Canada Post - "Standard Intnl" so not a courier service - just regular mail...) is being requested at $65.87!!!!!!!!!!

Yes- $65.87 for $12.87/13 earrings!

Never received a response to 1st request for total with combined shipping - except standard automated message from EBAY. 2nd message (personally sent) was told I had received the total with $65.87 in shipping.  NO info is noted in selling listings about "handling" or packing - which I do ask about.

Most of us on/in the EBAY work on trust & common sense.  How do I (or any other buyer) puchase multiple items from a seller who says they will combine shipping (presumably because it costs buyers less & the shipping charges are realistic & do not go to the seller:  a win/win).

In over 12 years - the people I bought from were up front, reasonable, honest, in their combined shipping charges.  I think this situation is nuts - and if it continues with/extends to other sellers will be the undoing of EBAY.

I look very forward to your suggestions & responses.

Very upset!

Best Regards,

Linda

View Entire Topic

If you look at the seller's feedback it's obvious that they are starting auctions at .99 and charging high shipping costs to make up for the low starting cost.

I don't agree with what they are doing and sellers like that give ebay a really bad name. It is important though that a buyer uses the information available before they buy. For example, the seller's feedback is horrible and I wouldn't buy from them. Also, in the shipping section it states that for each extra item that you buy you save $1 in shipping...so $5.99 for one pair earrings and $4.99 for each of the other pairs. It's a ripoff but unfortunately you were charged what was stated in the listing.