Someone is trying to redirect shipment of my purchase?

Item was purchased Nov.20/10 from Plano Texas tracked and is now  Nov. 29 in Erlanger Kentucky for customs labelling and shipping to Toronto Ontario.

Buyer was paid through Paypal and Pitney Bowes 

The item is expensive and highly sought after at the moment.

Today the seller sent me  the following message via eBay:

" Hi, I accidentally forgot some important cables you need and was wondering if I could send them to your Newark address because it would cost me much more to send it to your current address. Please let me know, thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

I responded:  "What cables? I have no Newark address - only the Toronto address which was provided. I can wait a reasonable amount of time (arrival by mid-December) for the cable shipment to arrive but please ship with insurance, signature required, and provide us with the tracking number.Keep in touch.Thank you." 

His answer:"The cable is so you can connect it to your computer. The address I mentioned was the message you sent me about changing the shipping address originally to your parent's house in Newark but I can ship to Toronto still. I will need you to provide me your Toronto address though because ebay considered your order international and had me ship it to a distribution center and they took care of the rest. Also please note that the main package did not have an option for a required signature but it should have full insurance. Once I receive your address the cables should arrive pretty quickly. Thanks"

How do I reply? How do I handle this? Worried. Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

It sounds as if someone wrote the seller pretending to be you (using a very similar ID) asking them to send the package to Newark instead of the address you gave at payment. But because the package is  in Erlanger, the seller must have refused to send the parcel to Newark as domestic packages do not go through the global shipping hub.   If the seller had sent the package to the  wrong address, they would have to refund you and they would be out that money.  

I wouldn't insist that the seller use signature confirmation for the cables as most  USPS international services do not have that option available. 

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

The address I mentioned was the message you sent me about changing the shipping address originally to your parent's house in Newark but I can ship to Toronto still. I will need you to provide me your Toronto address though because ebay considered your order international and had me ship it to a distribution center and they took care of the rest.

This sounds to me like your seller has shipped to the GSP plant in Erlanger and you should be receiving the original purchase in due time.

So that's not going to be a problem.

And your seller is smart enough to contact you before sending the cables off to a new address.

So that's not going to be a problem.

This might be useful -- it's the PB tracking link.

https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

ask them who sent the message to change the address, it should show , who it was sent from.

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @fezziwig7 - @esclyons gave you some great advice: messaging the seller to let them know that you didn't send that message is the best course of action. It could be that the seller mistook your purchase for another they had sold. Some clarification from them could definitely put your mind to rest. 🙂