Why does Ebay screw the buyers of items from China

I have purchase an item from China and 22-10213-30782 was (3) LED ring lights from hmttool in China and they sent me the wrong ring lights which can't be used on any microscope except a microscope from China.

I emailed the seller about the mistake and he offered to refund 50% of the $90.00 but I couldnt use the lights so I offered to return it and the seller would pay the shipping of $15.00. Shipping with tracking was $60.00 so the seller wouldnt pay that much. I contacted Ebay to dispute the transaction. I returned them 2 to 3 months ago and emailed the seller and he wouldnt answer the question if he had received the items back he just offered 50% refund except now there is no button the send a refund. I emailed him again today to see if he had received the items and Ebay has closed the case. Sorry but I am now out $110.00 for nothing, great system you have Ebay, Thanks Hocknstuff

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

It's too bad you hadn't opened a case from the beginning for Item Not as Described. The seller would have had to provide you with a label with tracking and once tracking showed it was received back he would have had to refund you. Sometimes it seems like the best thing is to reach out to seller first and I know I would do this as a first step to give them a heads up. Some may prefer to just refund without item back (to save on second shipping charge) but otherwise opening a case is the way to go. Whether it's from China or somewhere else the "get the item you expected or your money back guaranteed" is in play but only if done through opening a case. China may seem worse but it's just the cost of shipping with tracking is way higher but the rules are still the same and the shipping charge is up to the seller.

There is protection for buyers who buy something from China but it isn't as straightfoward as it could be and seller soften mislead a buyer and end up not refunding.

Sellers in China can't send a label but they can send you money for postage.  If the seller was only willing to pay $15 and not the $60  with tracking and you had contacted ebay about it, the seller would have been obligated to refund you without returning the items.

Did the seller pay for the shipping without tracking? When you indicated that you had sent the item, ebay should have let you know that the case would close by a specific date? If there is some sort of correspondence saying that the seller had paid for shipping and you had contacted  ebay before the closing date, they probably would have forced a refund.  If a seller pays for shipping without tracking, the buyer should get refunded whether or not the seller says that they have received the item back. 

When the  seller tried to negotiate, you should have stopped communicating.

The Money Back Guarantee means you can Claim a full refund on items that are Not As Described, like the ones you bought.

Youhave 30 days from delivery to open a Claim.

Then the seller can either refund you, letting you dispose of the unwanted purchase as you will, or send a Return Shipping Label.

If they opt for the return, which they can do even with  a No Returns policy, eBay makes them pay for it.

When the tracking shows delivery, you are refunded.

But.

If you used Paypal to anonymize your payment, you have up to 180 days to Claim.

PP insists that the buyer pays for the return, which you did.

You need the tracking number to prove it has been received by the seller, then you will be refunded.

But .

If you didn't use PP, paying directly with your credit card, you can go to the card and enquire about a chargeback. Card policies differ but the 180 days is the normal deadline for these claims. Again, having Proof of Delivery may help your refund.