having 2 folding knives shipped to Canada

i ordered 2 folding knives on ebay and i relise it might  be illegal in Canada. Is there a chance I would be charged or get in any troubles? thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mcrlmn
Community Member

If you have to manually pull the blade out of the handle to open and lock it; it is legal.

You aren't in any jeopardy for ordering them, and I can see no reason you wouldn't receive them.

At approx. $3.30CDN +S&H a knife from China, I'd consider it a win if they didn't arrive. lol

It is not legal to have the knife on your belt when you are at your local Walmart, ABC restaurant, or drinking establishment.

You can wear it when you're on a fishing, hiking, or hunting trip.

It might come in handy for making marshmallow roasting sticks.

eBay rules also align Canada's restricted knife laws.

I've mentioned the restrictions in my first post above.

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

@quanguyenvuhoan_0wrote:

yeah it has been shipped. i really dont know what to do cause i have been in Canada for only for 6 months.

This would have no effect on your immigration/residency status.

As momcqueen says- those look like ordinary camping knives, which are not a problem.

If you are really worried, the local police (who in many parts of Canada are the RCMP)  can advise you from a printout of the eBay listing.

If they say the knives are fine, that's all you need.

Thank them for their trouble and leave.

If they say they are prohibited, refuse the parcel.  You may not be able to get a refund.

For the record, I give my nephews and nieces Swiss Army knives as a twelfth birthday present. Purchased from Canadian Tire.

mcrlmn
Community Member

A big todo over knives. It's a  folding knife people.

If a knife is restricted, CBSA will confiscate it. They will notify the supplier, and may or may not notify you. That's it.

What is it for? How does it open? Who is the supplier?

Post a picture or link to your knives. I'll tell you if they're are legal.

I hunted for many years with rifle, shotgun , and crossbow, and bought several folding ('jack') , skinning, and boning knives from U.S. suppliers.

They were shipped via mail without issue, and often one or another hung on my belt for the length of a hunting trip.

The rules really aren't that complicated or any different than when I was a teenybopper.

The biggest difference regarding restricted weapons is that I can't buy a rifle or shotgun from Simpsons-Sears or Brighouse Hardware anymore... And  the time has passed for hanging one in my truck's back window.

But I can still buy all the powder, brass, primers, bullets, and loading equipment I need just across the border.

I'm not going to order that 1851 Navy .44 caliber black powder revolver I've wanted for 30 years, because I know It will never arrive.

But I know that Buck 'jack' knife delivery is just a few clicks away.

mcrlmn
Community Member

A folding knife is illegal if:

• "It has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when, with a simple and brisk outward flick of the wrist, the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position; and
  • It requires some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade."

So... gravity, centrifugal, and switch/automatic knives are illegal.

If it's designed as a weapon it's probably illegal.

The Buck jack knife in your backpack is fine.

The knife you carry must only be used as a tool (a.k.a. utility knife, hunting knife WHEN HUNTING, etc.).
Not concealed or with intent to cause harm; this includes self defense.

This law is about intent.
This means if you’re caught with a knife that’s concealed on your person while in a location you don’t require a knife to be used as a tool, you may be in for a bad time.

In Canal Flats, B.C. there's a sign on the hotel door, "Check your knives at the bar."

1488137192_43_132_1.jpg

Sounds like not much has changed since I was a teenager.

Report the situation as already indicated by me.

Take it to an RCMP firearms office....  Let them know that you do not want to keep the knives if they are illegal.

You bought the knives, and they were shipped.

Then you realized they might be illegal in Canada.  

Contacting the RCMP is strictly to determine if the knives are legal in Canada.  If they are illegal, the RCMP will confiscate them, and they should let you go... No charge.... because you do not plan to keep them if they are illegal..

This will be your learning process.

Keeping illegal knives puts you in greater difficulty, and perhaps something more than just confiscation or a fine.

The RCMP are very strict in enforcing the ownership of prohibited firearms,  or knives.

Now...

About the seller.... The seller should have known whether the knives were legal or illegal in Canada.  The seller should not have listed knives illegal in Canada,  on eBay Canada. 

If the knives are illegal in Canada....This fact makes the seller guilty... It is the seller that will be penalized for an illegal sale to a Canadian buyer.

The rules for firearms and other weapons such as these knives are much more strict in Canada than the US.

------------

If the RCMP says the knives are illegal in Canada, then it is the seller, and not the buyer that is guilty with the sale of knives illegal in Canada.  Buyer must report the situation to the RCMP.

yeah it has been shipped. i really dont know what to do cause i have been in Canada for only for 6 months.

Ignoring details like legality,  Canada Customs tends to ignore small and low value (under ~$100) shipments.

So it may show up with no problems.

Or the shipment could be confiscated at the border, if someone actually reads the customs label.

Cross all your fingers and toes.

The other thing is that carrying a switchblade (I'm assuming that's what you mean because ordinary folding knives like Swiss Army knives are fine) is also illegal and if you get stopped and searched, you could be in trouble then.

Again at a minimum, seizure.

This is eBay's boilerplate for Sellers who are shipping overseas.

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

Which I think means that if the knives are seized, you cannot get a refund from eBay or Paypal.

Once you get the knives you will have to decide if they are legal in Canada.

To confirm legality you should go to an RCMP firearms office.

Take a copy of the original listing from eBay  and then a copy of the Sales Record.

If the knives are not legal the RCMP will confiscate the knives.

and... you will plead ignorance until after the knives were shipped.

Returning he knives to the seller may not be an acceptable option....

Also... if the knives were described correctly customs might seize them.

If the knives were bought from a Canadian seller, then that seller is in trouble with the RCMP.

Link to 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation

Many countries including Canada are discussion  with respect to ... the legality of knives...

Read and decide what to do....

Link from US eBay Page attached for Policy regarding sale of knives.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/firearms-weapons-knives-policy?id=427...

Weapons Policy on eBay dot ca

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html

Has your item already been shipped? If you haven't completed the sale you could always give Canada post a call to confirm if there would be issues with your particular knife. Hope that gives you some information to work with.

-CM