Is an eBay account supposed to be private?

As in you’re not supposed to know what someone’s Amazon/eBay account is until you buy from or sell to them?

something like a Facebook account you can easily look up, but something like an eBay account I can’t find a way to easily look up.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Are you here again "phishing" for intel for your Scammer buddies and yourself?!

That is all you do look for insights from the minds of "experienced" members on here who at times do not even realize they are being "milked" and are 'jaded" from their time on eBay, it's so obvious you know exactly what info it is you are looking for...

All your posts are about finding out information on "Members" or "Scamming" it's so blatant it's almost funny!

Yes, it is supposed to be private for buyers. For sellers though, the ID is visible - so if someone search for a specific item and you have the same avatar on eBay and elsewhere, it might be easy to figure out you are the same person.

EBay is a 20th century venue.

That's not a bad thing, Coca Cola is a 19th century product.

But -- members have Avatars and IDs rather than using their personal names because that's what we did in the last century when the interwebs were new and scary.

I still use my first email address, named after my dead cat, but all my new ones are basically my own name.

I notice the same for my writers' group, and at 74 I am the youngest member.

So.

No, most sellers have a Member ID which is not their own name.

Yes, you will see their personal (or sometimes business) name when you buy or sell with them.

What are you trying to find out?

If you know the member's eBay ID you can use Advanced Search at the right of the search bar at the top of this page, scroll right down to the bottom and enter the name. Or even some approximation.

Then you can use Contact Member to ask a question or to see their listings or their feedback.

For most purposes, you don't actually need the personal name unless you are in a transaction.

Ask a Question