Canada to U.S. Shipping?

I am a small time seller,mostly hockey cards.I am currently only selling in Canada.I would like to expand and start selling to the U.S.,this makes me very nervous.The shipping costs alone are crazy.I would very much like to have a lot more sales.Just selling in Canada is not generating enough sales.The post office where I live is very legal when it comes to U.S. shipping rates.I want to ship things correctly with no issues.I should also say most of my items are low end.Could any one offer any help?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Could I offer some advice?

Don't start auctions at 99 cents, unless you are willing to sell at 99 cents.

Use Free Shipping (which means putting the cost of shipping into your asking price). Buyers love it.

Use Fixed Price like 85% of current eBay transactions.

Look into setting up Calculated Shipping for those items that ship as Parcels.

Move all your hockey cards, which can ship as LetterPost, to dotCOM. More eyeballs, both American and surprisingly, Canadian.

mcrlmn
Community Member

"most of my items are low end"

Then just mail 'em.

Unless a card is limited or rookie, you'll probably be lucky to get 99 cents a card.

I've 2 apple boxes of hockey cards going back to the early '60s, including juniors, boxes, uncut sheets, and sealed binders from various food retailers such as Kraft and Post.

Of course there's some I'd never sell, but the rest are no more than interesting and taking up space.

I've flogged a bunch, but frankly can't even find enough interest to dig out a few more and list.

The market was flooded and the bottom fell out, so most cards going back to the 1980s aren't worth much, unless they're high grade rookie cards or scarce signed inserts of superstars.

If you have a Gretzky rookie card, and sell it for the right price, then you can fill in the little customs form to attach to your mail, and you'll have plenty of money to pay for tracking.

Otherwise, just drop it in the mail box.

I've used the hockey cards the same as various coins I may find in my pocket change,  to sell and provide my 'cookie jar' insurance for the higher end items I may ship.

mcrlmn
Community Member

Ship U.S. Lettermail:

0–30 g:  $1.20

30–50 g:  $1.80
50–100 g: $2.95

Pack in plastic sleeve if possible, between thin cardboard taped on all 4 sides.

Cheap plastic banknote sleeves or small baggies (dollar store) work great.

I think your biggest issues will be market value relative to asking price, demand, and shipping cost.

In looking at your available items I would personally be most concerned about the limited editions, mailing multiple items in the same package or items with higher value(Can you replace?). If something does happen to go wrong, either loss or damage or your item were to get inspected(Shipping Intl)  you would be following the rules because of declared value. With a secure service you would be covered for replacement/your delivery expenses and so would your customer. Something to consider. On the flip side adding the plastic to the cards "should not" change your declaration of the item. People mail laminated original documents all the time. They are still considered a document/printed matter except with your items they have a suggested actual value. And finally, most important to clearly mark "Do not bend" and make your item as rigid as possible to prevent any damage during transit whichever service you use.

-CM

PS. Giving your customers the option of secure delivery shows them that you are concerned about their item arriving to them safely and as described. They will pay if it the item you have is the one they desperately want.

.And that I need to fill out a customs form.

That's the law, and the clerks are required to tell you the legal way.

I have shipped to the U.S. before on card trading forums and had no issues.

Yup.

That's the practice.

It's worth noting that US residents can import up to $800 at a time without duty.

Big difference from out $20Cdn.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts