Free Shipping, not. .99, not!

I’ve bid on and won many auctions. I rarely bid on an item if there is a shipping charge. I bid and won a “free shipping” item. When I go to pay for it the seller is now tacking on a $10 shipping fee. When contacted they say I live far away, and with the low bid they wouldn’t make any money. I told them I’m sorry but I refuse to pay shipping. They said they’d give me a discount or small gift with my next order. I won’t be bidding on any of sellers auctions because of this. If you list an item with no shipping and you don’t get the amount for the item you’d hoped for that’s just the way it goes....you can’t then change the “contract “? I’ve informed them I’m taking it up with eBay. Maybe that will work. I’ve never opened a case against a seller and as you can see I’m addicted to eBay. Lol

I don’t know if this is new, it seems like it. Or maybe more sellers are listing an item for say .99. When you click on it there are other larger amounts-listed. The real price. The .99 item is not even related. They just used the low amount to reel you in. I wish this wasn’t 

allowed.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Free Shipping is an advertising ploy like BOGO or We Pay The Taxes.

It just means that the cost of shipping is included in the asking price for the item.

It does simplify shopping, particularly on a mobile, because the customer sees exactly what she will pay at first glance.

However, all too many sellers just can't work that out.

You are not required to pay any  more than the seller advertised.

If the seller tries to open an Unpaid Item Dispute against you, phone Customer Service and explain the problem.

If the seller used eBay Messages to demand more money, Customer Service can see those.

Do check first that the seller was offering Free Shipping to Canada.

Most sellers only offer Domestic Free Shipping.

Many of us are shopping on dotCOM and are not double checking the cost of cross-border shipping.

When you click on it there are other larger amounts-listed. The real price. The .99 item is not even related.

Yeah that's one used by Chinese scammers in particular and dropshipping resellers as well.

It's one of the reasons I Search by Highest Price +Shipping First.

I find it faster to drill down to my price point than to wade through hundreds if not thousands of misdescribed and misleading listings.

Was it really marked as free shipping for Canada or there was not any cost shown? Do you have the item number, so we can take a look?

Another later thought.

When I go to pay for it the seller is now tacking on a $10 shipping fee.

EBay doesn't know where the item is going until there is a bid . In an auction this can cause problems because the shipping charge is likely to be inaccurate until there is a bid, and the buyer is equally unlikely to look again at the lisiting (and the shipping) once she has bid.

Perfect storm.

Another reason that Auctions are rapidly disappearing in favour of Fixed Price listings.

Ask a Question