How to determine shipping fees for first time seller

ka141313
Community Member

I am a new seller with only one item to sell. I am totally confused about how to set the shipping cost in my ad. I am guessing my item will be 2 lbs, and guessing in a box that would be 15" wide x 24" high.  That is a guess. I am selling multiple set dinnerware. When I entered those dimensions into the shipping calculator the estimate came up around $60 depending which city in  Canada that it ships to. That's crazy! Who would pay that much for shipping?  Am I missing something or is that actually what I would have to charge if I sold the item on eBay. Cause if it is, I guess I might as well stop creating my ad now.  TIA!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

DON'T GUESS!!!

Get a digital scale. I use a Starfrit kitchen* scale I bought at Canadian Tire. Saw it once more on sale a couple of weeks ago for less than $20.

And a tape measure or ruler.

And bookmark this:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

You will also want a Solutions for Small Business number for postal discounts.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business/shipping-discounts.page?

This number also helps with Paypal and Shippo labels as well as SnapShip labels which are Canada Post's service.

my item will be 2 lbs, and guessing in a box that would be 15" wide x 24" high.

No it won't.

Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any other measurements are guesswork at best.

And rates can change on a gram or a centimeter.

Now are you parting out the dinner service?

What packaging are you planning to use?

Postal insurance does not cover china or glassware that breaks in transit.

You might look into the cost of those prepaid shipping boxes Canada Post has started selling.

Not all will be useful, but the price could be right.

It has been my observation that most china sellers are selling one piece at a time, since the buyer is likely to be replacing broken pieces rather than buying a whole set.

And if you do use Auctions (but don't) make your opening bid the lowest you can be content with getting, since there is a strong likelihood that it will be the only bid. (which is why you don't use Auctions).

Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required is the gold standard for newbies.

* I also use it when baking so there's that.

@ka141313 

Your guess for weight seems a bit low.

But that does not matter much since the big shipping elephant is the box size.  Canada Post and other shipping companies have a dimensional surcharge for large boxes.  Length x Width x Height divided by number to get a dimensional weight value.  If your box was 15x15x24 inches (38x38x61cm) it would have a dimensional weight of 17.6kg or 39 pounds for the Canada Post shipping cost calculation.

Ebay does allow you to use calculated shipping for Canada Post. But you do need to enter weight and dimensions. ebay will take care of calculating and displaying the shipping cost for a buyer's location.

How breakable is your dinnerware?

You can also set up an ebay listing and only allow local pickup (or use ebay's free cousin, kijiji). I had someone drive 6 hours to buy my grandmother's 1930 china set -- I considered it too risky to actually mail anywhere.

-..-

I rarely ship breakable items but based on posts that I've read from sellers that often sell China and fragile collectibles, it is best to double box items like that. I'm sure that there are videos on you tube about how best to package such things.

I do agree with the others that with something that size, you don't want to guess on the size and weight, you need to be accurate in the calculator.  I'm sure that it will be fairly expensive to ship so you might want to try first to sell it on site in your area so that the buyer can pick it up.

if you are selling one item only, there's no point buying a scale, just take it to your local CP outlet and get them to weigh it for you.  You will need to accurately measure the box to get an accurate rate.  

Check the dimensions of your item as you may be able to use the largest of the CP fixed rate mailing boxes - I think they are $25.99.  If it is under the weight limit for the box, I cant remember what it is, and you are shipping within Canada, you'll only have to charge the fixed rate amount (+the tax you'll pay on it).   Dont discount American customers, as the exchange rate is very attractive to them and we all know how Americans are constantly searching for a *deal*.  You will find out though that shipping the same item to the US may be cheaper than you think, depending on where they are in relation to you, and especially if they live in a state close to or bordering yours.  

If not, yes you may be right.  Welcome to the wonderful world of Parcel mail in Canada, where it is cheaper to send items to most of the world airmail than it is to send the same item from Vancouver to Halifax.  I still get a chuckle out of someone posting on here some time ago "How exactly am I supposed to mail a vinyl record for $3.99?" (this is at least $15 within Canada, many times more).  There are ways around Canada Post parcel rates but thats only if you can mail stuff lettermail.  Cant send dinnerware this way so yes you may be hooped.  

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts