PITNEY BOWES sent me someone else's package. What is the appropriate way to handle this?

Hello,
I just picked up a few packages of mine from the post office and one was a box from Pitney Bowes but inside was a priority mail package to a different person. My initial thought to handle this (what I assume is an accidental swap of a package actually meant for me) is to contact Pitney Bowes but it has occured to me that perhaps I should contact all parties such as the original deliverer and intended deliver-ee. Who should I contact and how?Should I contact eBay as well?

What are the appropriate steps someone like me should take?

Thank you very much

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I'd assume that you don't have the address for the eBay IDs for the seller or the buyer?

Just postal addresses?

Is there by chance a telephone number?

If there is use it to notify the seller (or buyer) what has happened and that you will be calling PB/GSP about this.

Don't make any promises (yet) that will cost you money unless you are really working on your karma.

Ask the member to contact the other party to the transaction, just so everyone will know what is happening.

Then contact Pitney Bowes, which runs the Global Shipping Program.

This is the only contact point I have for them, but you may be able to find something more human on the website.

https://parceltracking.pb.com/app/#/dashboard/

This might work on Dec 31, but otherwise it would be best to wait until January 2. 

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

I would open a return request in the resolution Center giving the reason that the wrong item was sent to you.  Make sure that you mention that the package you received had someone else’s name and that PB must have switched the packages when they processed them.  In a situation like this PB is responsible for refunding you in full so neither you or the seller should be out any money.   They won’t require you to return the wrong item but the return request is how you open a wrong item sent claim.

I doubt that phoning PB would result in getting the item that you did order as they won’t require whoever received it to return it so imo opening an eBay claim is the best way to go.   

Are you expecting any packages from the US/UK that might now never arrive?

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts