eBay's calculated shipping is less than Canada Post's ?

I've looked at old threads (2013, 2016) and wonder if anyone ever figured out why the calculated shipping comes up as less than Canada Post's website.  After spending a lot of time half-packing, measuring, weighing an item and wading through Canada Post's one-at-a-time find-a-rate pages for estimates, I checked the item immediately after listing it with the same postal codes I entered to test, and the shipping is less.  It's not much, but, you're already losing money on calculated shipping if you're being honest about it, since they take a fee on that too.

I don't see anywhere about offering discounts to buyers, and am pretty sure I haven't done so.

View Entire Topic

Which is lower eBay's estimate or the Canada Post website?

We do get slightly better rates on some services when we buy labels through eBay/Shippo, Paypal, or even SnapShip/Canada Post, including being able to use Expedited rates, which don't usually show* on the public website.

If this is consistent and your parcel will be near the edge of the rate, it might be a good idea to use slightly larger dimensions and weight on your Sell Your Item form, and make refunds if necessary. 
Or to increase your handling charge, which is not, by the way, seen by the buyer.

*Does this make our rates part of the "deep web"?

Ask a Question