"Standard international shipping" and hidden fees

arn250
Community Member

I just bought an item that indicated "Free shipping" from Japan, supposed to be delivered through "Standard international shipping". Item description stated that there could be some "custom processing and additional charges."

I now just received a notice the item was in fact sent through FedEx and that I had to pay over 40$ in various fees. I did not receive the bill, just a call indicating I had some sums to pay. I never had to pay hidden fees before and I ordered from Japan in the past.

Question 1 : What is "Standard international shipping" ? I thought it would be handled through national postal services.

Question 2 : FedEx asks to pay them custom and taxes, and an added fee just to pick up my item at the customs. Shouldn't that fee be absorbed by the seller?

View Entire Topic

Question 1 : What is "Standard international shipping" ? I thought it would be handled through national postal services.

"Standard international shipping" is any mid-priced shipping service it's the Sellers choice as it is "Free"

Question 2 : FedEx asks to pay them custom and taxes, and an added fee just to pick up my item at the customs. Shouldn't that fee be absorbed by the seller?

No, any fees are the responsibility of the Buyer, you're the one importing the merchandise and the one who pays the tax, duty & brokerage fees...

...it's always been like that.

A - There is NO SUCH THING as FREE ANYTHING!

B - The shipping may have been "Free" but any import duties, taxes, or other fees are the Buyers responsibility...

...and in every listing on eBay worldwide it says

"International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. "

And if you click on the little? it say's

International Shipping - items may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's customs value.
Sellers declare the item's customs value and must comply with customs declaration laws.

As the buyer, you should be aware of possible:
- delays from customs inspection.
- import duties and taxes which buyers must pay.
- brokerage fees payable at the point of delivery.

Your country's customs office can offer more details, or visit eBay's page on international trade.

So you see eBay does give/provide ALL the information, but as is often the case in situations like this the BDNR...
Ask a Question