Shipping and Handling

From my point of view, a buyer should not learn that a seller is not combining the cost of s&h only after commiting to buy multiple items - this is not fair.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

I agree that the seller should combine shipping costs if she can.

But I also agree that it is up to the buyer to confirm the cost of combined shipping.

To be very very pedantic, putting several purchases in one box is a form of 'combining shipping' even if the fees are unchanged.

It is also important to understand that combining shipping may make the postage higher.

I can ship a 2cm thick/ 300 gram paperback to Ontario for $2.95.

Two books would cost $20.24 cents to ship together. (I would have tracking on the heavier parcel.)

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2

Ask-- don't assume.

In the past if I ever needed to make a purchase for more than one item from a seller, I would always message the seller prior to bidding to confirm they will combine on shipping. Some will. Some won't. No matter how nicely you ask. Then I make my decision whether or not to purchase from that seller from their answer.

-CM

yes never assume a seller will combine shipping, even if it says i will combine shipping.. some sellers combine at different rates, and discounts, some don't combine at all.. be sure to ask first..

I agree wholeheartedly, you shouldn't. Use Add to Cart to find your postage cost and checkout from there like that. Some sellers really cannot combine postage because their items are all coming from different locations to you. 

Don't forget that most sellers are padding the cost of shipping to cover Ebay and Paypal fees. 

Also, most packages are subject to dimensional weight pricing and not necessarily the weight of the item.  If you have an item that weighs 5lbs but is very large and needs to be shipped in say a 24"x24"x24" box then the shipping charges will be more in line with something that weighs 25lbs.  Now this is just a guess and I have no idea exactly what the dimensional rates are, but there is a lot more going on than simply adding two things together at times.

I never expect a seller to combine shipping totally, even if their auction states they will do it.  I always ask before buying unless I want the items no matter what.  Ebay is nothing like it was 10 years ago, the days of really good deals are long over.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts